Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2021, 06:59 PM   #21
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Wasn’t Darryl the GM last time the Flames won a season opener ?
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:08 PM   #22
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed, when is the last time we won the season opener? Darryl doesn't have the benefit of time due to his contract so winning has to be the all-in. Didn't Darryl say in a recent interview that up to 30 guys will play this season? I like his approach it means the guys coming in have to be ready and that is the AHL team's job.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:11 PM   #23
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

/\.....< molehill
Look west to see the mountains.
Nothing to see here......drama drama drama .

If anything.....ive never seen the Flames look like they are trying harder than they are RIGHT F ing now.

When he said he had unfinished business did you think he was kidding?

Because the last thing you want is another wash , rinse and repeat of what we've witnessed with things since Gluegun was coaching here trying to make a name for himself.

I love Conroy I do but sometimes that man is like a small outboard motor .....putt putt putt putt putt blah blah blah ....and I love hearing it because he's transparent and not full of himself like some other former players from the north (Kevin Lowe) that supposedly know something more about winning than anyone else apparently.

Sorry OP but I think somethings being made of nothing here.

The last thing we need before they even drop the puck is panic, worry , despair and unrealistic expectations of this team .
In 82 games we can watch the ascension of this team or we can watch what we've watched for years and years and make ourselves nucking futs in the process.....and that narrative has to change .

I believe in Sutters ability to get buy in from everyone because if they don't they won't be here by years end or next year.

The thing I'm happiest about is there appears to be no coach killers here anymore.....James Neal and others like him gone too.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #24
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try Ruzicka with the team’s two superstars? Ok sure. Maybe we could have a contest where a fan gets to take part in training camp each day too.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:18 PM   #25
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

This thread is so disingenuous. Everything is fine.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:25 PM   #26
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

We won't even be talking about this when we're 2-0
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:26 PM   #27
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't read that at all like how OP understood it.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #28
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have heard Sutter say numerous times, all the way back to when he coached in Chicago, the NHL is not a development league that is what the AHL is for. IF a young guy can play he will play, if he doesn't show more in his chances than a fringe vet he won't.

The only young guys who showed much that I saw in preseason were Duer and Pospisil. Kjillington would be considered a vet now with over 100 games and still has a few mistakes to round out but has made great strides.

Last edited by Beatle17; 10-15-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 07:40 PM   #29
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
This thread is so disingenuous. Everything is fine.
I dunno. My interpretation is that Darryl has started a hostile take over of the the teams management and Conroy is fighting back. Or maybe I watch too much tv.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:46 PM   #30
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Wasn’t Darryl the GM last time the Flames won a season opener ?
Yes, 2009.

I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize how bad, 2009 and 2001 are the only seasons in which the Flames have won their season-opener since the lockout ... not the 2004 lockout, the 1994 lockout. You have to go back 30 years, to 1991, for the last time the Flames won a season opener by more than one goal.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:52 PM   #31
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently I misread the situation lol
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:59 PM   #32
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 08:02 PM   #33
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Apparently I misread the situation lol
Nope, you’re a solid poster and not a fear mongerer, good on you for starting discussion.

Conroy’s exhuberance means he speaks a lot of volume and some of it can come across as you state. Players like Richardson and Lewis are here not on a PTO, ripe for getting bumped off. They came here via Sutter to play.

Just wait for the first Snet game though and Francis will hop on this like white on rice and try and stir the pot by blurring fact and fiction.

Sutter wouldn’t have come here if he didn’t have have full control. This isn’t a reality feel good show where the young guy catches fire with the vet and everyone lives happily ever after. Sutter has two or three years left before he retires and isn’t going to mess around with someone else’s theories or experiments as he truly wants this city and organization to experience a Stanley Cup.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #34
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Meh. Preseason experience isn't even all that useful. Yes our prospects need to learn what it takes to play in the nhl, but they get better experience with that through the training camp process.

It makes sense to have the top borderline prospects play a small number of preseason games, but the purpose of the preseason is to get the team ready. It's not an extended tryout.

Hopefully what the team does do is use call-ups to give the prospects who've then earned a shot a few actual nhl games, instead of relying on useless vets who will be in Europe in a couple years.

As for Conroy, his role likely involves working a lot with the prospects. Obviously, he's going to pump their tires. That's so this was, not criticism of Sutter.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:24 PM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

All of the Flames top young prospects need AHL time so I don't see an issue here. Besides winning the opener and coming out of the blocks fast is something this organization badly needs.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:11 PM   #36
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Awesome. Can’t wait for the run Darryl out of town crew to show up when we lay an egg to start the year again.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:17 PM   #37
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

We've seen Darryl as a GM, it was a ####show I would rather not re-live. Let the coaches be coaches and the managers be managers.
schteve_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:17 PM   #38
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I think it puts Matthew Tkachuk's earlier comments in perspective when he talked about winning the season opener. The opening 20 games are very important because even 3-5 wins can be huge towards the end of the season when you're trying to make the playoffs.

I also think Darryl was brought in here not only to coach but kind of a guide to the overall hockey operations, someone with experience they can bounce ideas of and get input from.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:40 PM   #39
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

CP loves wringing some kind of story out of a non-story.

I don't mind Conroy having his own take and being dead honest, just as I don't mind Darryl the 2 time champion running camp his own way. End of the day we move on, as a team.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:27 PM   #40
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
CP loves wringing some kind of story out of a non-story.

I don't mind Conroy having his own take and being dead honest, just as I don't mind Darryl the 2 time champion running camp his own way. End of the day we move on, as a team.
Yeah, Conroy can go watch the kids in Stockton and Treliving can use his time to land some guy out of Buffalo.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote