Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #161
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
Forgive me if this has been answered already in the thread.

How come we are voting about this in a municipal election? Isn’t it a Provincial decision? How can Calgary decide for the entire province or would it just be the city making the change?
The province chose to confuse municipal elections with stuff that have nothing to do with local government. It’s what they do.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:02 AM   #162
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

How come no big brain has come up with the ideal solution yet? Keep ST in the morning and DT in the afternoon? Spring ahead at 1pm every day, and fall back at 1am every night. Win-win for everyone!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 11:45 AM   #163
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
How come no big brain has come up with the ideal solution yet? Keep ST in the morning and DT in the afternoon? Spring ahead at 1pm every day, and fall back at 1am every night. Win-win for everyone!
You don’t work in payroll do you.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #164
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe we should just leave it the hell alone instead of making changes like this independently of the rest of North America. We don't operate in a vacuum, and who the hell wants to be like Saskatchewan?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:17 PM   #165
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah this is one of the dumber referendums I can recall. Is this even binding? I doubt anything changes.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #166
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I did my civic duty. There should have been 3 choices: pacific time, mountain time, fluctuating time. Instead I had to choose the lesser of two evils. There are in-laws in British Columbia and in Saskatchewan- no time works for them
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #167
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I don't get what the big deal is with the sun coming out after 8. Just get up later.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #168
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Just to put this in perspective for those voting Monday...

If we go permanent DST, today is the last day the sun would rise before 8:00am until March 10. Yes, March. This change is not good for our biological clock.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
Civil twilight is a more meaningful measure - the point when artificial lighting is not necessary...usually about 30 mins earlier than sunrise, with 'nautical twilight' another ~ 40 mins earlier meaning some light in the sky.

Ultimately it shouldn't matter that much which time we end up on...individually and societally we can try to tweak our schedules at the extreme dates to best suit ourselves. The time changes are like taking a sledgehammer to a housefly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Maybe we should just leave it the hell alone instead of making changes like this independently of the rest of North America. We don't operate in a vacuum, and who the hell wants to be like Saskatchewan?
Several jurisdictions have passed laws saying "we're on board to change as soon as xyz change, too (or congress approves)"...it just needs to reach a point of critical mass, and it seems we are getting pretty close. Pretty sure BC, California, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming are among them.

https://www.almanac.com/content/stop...ht-saving-time

EU is/was planning to abolish it too, but apparently COVID may have delayed it. Argentina, Russia, and Turkey have already killed it.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:10 PM   #169
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yeah this is one of the dumber referendums I can recall. Is this even binding? I doubt anything changes.
I believe that the DST question is binding. The senate and equalization questions are a charade, but this one could actually change something.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 03:40 PM   #170
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is a group in NZ called "Ban Daylight Savings Movement - BDSM", and their whole schtick is to get into arguments in Facebook comment sections on stories that have nothing to do with it.

Ex: "Why is the government talking about vaccines when there are more important issues like getting rid of daylight savings?"

And it draws in replies like moths to a lamp, usually a mix of arguing the merits of daylight savings or pointing out the other meaning of their acronym. It is one of the most brilliant pieces of trolling that I have ever seen.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 08:36 AM   #171
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
how come no big brain has come up with the ideal solution yet? Keep st in the morning and dt in the afternoon? Spring ahead at 1pm every day, and fall back at 1am every night. Win-win for everyone!
0:00 am
1:00 am
2:00 am
3:00 am
4:00 am
5:00 am
6:00 am
7:00 am
8:00 am
9:00 am
10:00 am
11:00 am
12:00 am
13:00 am
14:00 am
15:00 pm
16:00 pm
17:00 pm
18:00 pm
19:00 pm
20:00 pm
21:00 pm
22:00 pm
23:00 pm
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #172
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think prior to this referendum, everyone at first blush probably would have been in favor of permanent summer (woo evening sun!), but I do think it has been beneficial in educating everyone on the true situation of Calgary's longitude and impacts. If a national move (with US) ever arises to abolish DST, I could see Calgary actually moving to PST now that everyone is better educated.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:35 AM   #173
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I'll admit that was me a while back. No changing clocks? Evening sun? Sign me up.

But I have become quite concerned about the real impact, I have voted against it, and I actually think that we won't last more than 2 years on permanent DST if it is adopted. Once people actually experience 0930 sunrises, 9pm local start times for Hockey Night in Canada doubleheaders (or any west coast game), and relative varying time zones across the continent, they'll realize the mistake.

Right now, the only time zone (that matters) that varies from a Calgary perspective is Saskatchewan. If permenent DST is adopted, Vancouver will be 1 or 2 hours different, Toronto 1 or 2 hours the other way. Nearly every time zone (from a Calgary perspective) will change twice a year, which I think will be more confusing than just playing along and changing our clocks.

In other words : do it nationally/continentally, or don't bother. And if we do it, give solar noon a little bit more consideration.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #174
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It truly was a monumentally stupid decision for the UCP to make this a binding referendum. Politicians can barely function in their jobs, let alone leaving complex decisions like this one to the mouth breathers who inhabit our province.

You’re absolutely right that most people that vote yes will do so completely not understanding the effects and only think of those two benefits you listed.

This has Brexit written all over it. Not in terms of scope obviously but in terms of support and subsequent regret. We are going to need our very own r/LeopardsAteMyFace thread when people start flipping out over the multitude of massive negative results this will cause.

Thankfully this isn’t going to happen for at least a year so maybe by then the government can find a way to reverse course.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 10:44 AM   #175
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dr. Hinshaw please read (if you have time on your hands)
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:16 AM   #176
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the idea of people changing their clocks because it reminds folks that time is a social construct.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:21 AM   #177
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
^ I'll admit that was me a while back. No changing clocks? Evening sun? Sign me up.

But I have become quite concerned about the real impact, I have voted against it, and I actually think that we won't last more than 2 years on permanent DST if it is adopted. Once people actually experience 0930 sunrises, 9pm local start times for Hockey Night in Canada doubleheaders (or any west coast game), and relative varying time zones across the continent, they'll realize the mistake.

Right now, the only time zone (that matters) that varies from a Calgary perspective is Saskatchewan. If permenent DST is adopted, Vancouver will be 1 or 2 hours different, Toronto 1 or 2 hours the other way. Nearly every time zone (from a Calgary perspective) will change twice a year, which I think will be more confusing than just playing along and changing our clocks.

In other words : do it nationally/continentally, or don't bother. And if we do it, give solar noon a little bit more consideration.
Those things are already experienced by millions of people and they function completely fine. I'm basically convinced that had this referendum been held in June as opposed to now it would have passed easily. People are too concerned about the morning darkness to make a rational decision though. The idea of permanent standard time is just silly. Who is looking for the 4:30am sunrises in the summers and evenings to have the sun go down at 9-9:30 instead of 10-10:30? One of the best things about our latitude are those fantastic, long summer evenings. Would people really give that up for the light at 8:30 on a December morning? It's just a poor tradeoff in my opinion.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 11:32 AM   #178
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Those things are already experienced by millions of people and they function completely fine. I'm basically convinced that had this referendum been held in June as opposed to now it would have passed easily. People are too concerned about the morning darkness to make a rational decision though. The idea of permanent standard time is just silly. Who is looking for the 4:30am sunrises in the summers and evenings to have the sun go down at 9-9:30 instead of 10-10:30? One of the best things about our latitude are those fantastic, long summer evenings. Would people really give that up for the light at 8:30 on a December morning? It's just a poor tradeoff in my opinion.
For the solstice, civil twilight would start around 3:30 am. Not really interested in that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 11:37 AM   #179
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Literally nobody in North America is going to their hockey stadium for a 9pm puck drop. Yet. Under permanent DST, that'll be the Flames and Oilers for much of the season. Sure, mostly Saturday nights, but 8pm is plenty late enough.

Of course higher latitude have later sunrises, but they are generally more equally straddling solar noon. Calgary is already off-centred from our mathematical time zone, and permanent DST will further exaggerate it by another hour. For me it isn't the amount of daylight, as we can't change that, but the increased imbalance or mornings vs. evenings. If we love our summer nights, just keep the status quo. No need to rob the hour from winter mornings.

But I think that we are generally in agreement.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:42 AM   #180
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Literally nobody in North America is going to their hockey stadium for a 9pm puck drop. Yet. Under permanent DST, that'll be the Flames and Oilers for much of the season. Sure, mostly Saturday nights, but 8pm is plenty late enough.

Of course higher latitude have later sunrises, but they are generally more equally straddling solar noon. Calgary is already off-centred from our mathematical time zone, and permanent DST will further exaggerate it by another hour. For me it isn't the amount of daylight, as we can't change that, but the increased imbalance or mornings vs. evenings. If we love our summer nights, just keep the status quo. No need to rob the hour from winter mornings.

But I think that we are generally in agreement.
So just drop the puck at 7pm local time? Winnipeg, Chicago and others seem to make that work just fine? Like those kinds of issues are the easiest to deal with to me. The NHL can worry about whether they have late games to play a double-header every week.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: