Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2021, 01:24 PM   #221
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’ve read some opinions on Rasmus’s last night, and I’m with Sutter. I thought he looked pretty good last night too
Old 10-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #222
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Declining, softening game full of incompetent morons in positions they're not cut out for.

If you can't block out the noise and do your job objectively then you shouldn't be there to begin with.

Less interested in this league by the day.

And HNIC can pound sand. Never wanted to re-up with that bush league Oiler felating network to begin with. #### them, honestly.

I watch the games on mute now.
It’s so painful to have to hear them plea for McDavid to have a free lane to the net, have more penalties called in his favour, AND allow him to get away with hooks because he’s McDavid.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. And the whole call more penalties in superstars favours is just the worst take. Why do we want to have double standards for players? Rules are rules.
The panel went on saying how NBA does it, NFL does it so why does t NHL?
The NHL is hard enough to watch these days with the ridiculously inconsistent officiating. Now they want it to be like NBA where there’s probably as much embellishment as in soccer. Just a brutal take
Old 10-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #223
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Flames finally stood up for their tendy and did it multiple times, was nice to see even though it put McPP on the ice too much. Worthy investment for the first game of the season and hopefully sends a message.

The oilers played the game within the game and found a way to get the goals. They rely on powerplays to succeed so they have mastered it. The Flames in the past used to do this sort of thing "throw teams off" We should have given Smith a couple of shoves in the crease and given less respect to McDavid. McDavid had too much space and too much fun. We should be wiping that smile off his face, should have hit him hard and hit him often. Anything to throw him off his game.

Flames played well 5 on 5 but obviously didn't do quite enough. Hopefully, the team will learn how to get under their skin.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:33 PM   #224
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
HNIC got Ras fined...not even kidding

Them going on national TV and jumping to conclusions. If that was some rando Tuesday night game, wild/Blues there is zero chance it's even looked at.

There was no head-butt so why the fine?
I mean when you literally have out-of-touch Elliot Friedman, saying that McDavid should be given carte-blanch to go to the net and skate around however he likes, without engagement, well it's frickin ridiculous.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #225
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

HNIC is entirely operated by Rogers. CBC has no creative input on the broadcasts whatsoever - they are providing airspace.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:05 PM   #226
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm all for optimism, but what scares me once again is the fact our top players are never our top players.

I have a strange feeling we'll be wanting another "core" shake again this year, but god forbid we address it.

We can pump McDavid's ego up as much as we want saying he's the best player (rightfully so) but he shows up every night too. They had their top line rolling all night and ours was virtually invisible.

Eye test, advance stats I get it, but the SAME thing plagues this team year after year and we've yet to address it for 5+ years now. I'd love to assume Coleman is the answer here, but I think were in for some serious disappointment if that's who were hoping is the savior.

This is why I'm all for going all in on Eichel, that's the shakeup this team needs.
Or lets re-build but that wont happen with the Sutter hire.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 02:09 PM   #227
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
The oilers played the game within the game and found a way to get the goals. They rely on powerplays to succeed so they have mastered it. The Flames in the past used to do this sort of thing "throw teams off" We should have given Smith a couple of shoves in the crease and given less respect to McDavid. McDavid had too much space and too much fun. We should be wiping that smile off his face, should have hit him hard and hit him often. Anything to throw him off his game.

Flames played well 5 on 5 but obviously didn't do quite enough. Hopefully, the team will learn how to get under their skin.
Absolutely!! I really don't understand why the Flames don't play the little princesses on the Oilers tougher. They need to go back to the Badger Bob days where he assigned Neil Sheehy to shadow Gretzky all over the ice and make life miserable for him. Who on the Flames could be our Sheehy?
Old 10-17-2021, 02:14 PM   #228
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon48

The Flames played a good game, their first of the year, after a week off.

The Oilers got two flukey goals and some pretty charitable officiating to win this game. If the Flames play like this they will win more BOA games than they lose. I also have faith they will continue to improve under Sutter.

I've been totally fine with Lucic on the Flames, but I think it's pretty clear he won't engage as needed against the Oilers. The hit against Monahan should have been an immediate fight for Kassian, but Lucic didn't even breath on him the entire game (that I saw). For those who wanted him to be the Captain, he won't play hard against our biggest rival, I think that disqualifies him.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 02:19 PM   #229
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

To give credit where its due, I think Tippett game planned this one and the players executed to a tee. They knew the Flames would come out and play tough. They goaded the Flames into a couple penalties, took the lead on the power play, and never looked back.

Like I said last night, I liked the Flames energy and work ethic, but they need to be smarter and the top two lines need to be much better 5 on 5.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nieuwy-89 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 02:27 PM   #230
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This thing with our team is we lack a true number one line. We are a "score by committee" type of team. As others have said, I would love to see us land Eichel as it's just what we need.
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:48 PM   #231
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Team looked great last night, for being rusty and being thrown into HNIC in Edmonton after a week of watching the rest of the league play. Lucky bounces and officiating went the other way. Entertaining game. Can’t wait for the season! Going to home opener tomorrow
heep223 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 04:22 PM   #232
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They definitely set us up for failure to start about as best they could. Week of sitting and watching, then right into HNIC in Edmonton where they're gonna get ample opportunity from the refs to run their PP, the only thing that saves their subpar even strength play.

Valiant effort given the circumstances. But moral victories are never enough at the end of the day. Too bad they didn't make Smith move more.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #233
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn’t read the whole thread and I’m sure it’s been said but seriously without McDavid the Oilers are hot ####ing garbage. I for one am glad to see this team not take any #### and actually have an identity. Capitalize on the PP and take away 2 flukey ass bounces from the Oilers and it’s a W
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 06:15 PM   #234
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got a bad feeling the Flames are going to outplay teams a lot in 5-2 or 4-1 losses
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #235
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
To give credit where its due, I think Tippett game planned this one and the players executed to a tee. They knew the Flames would come out and play tough. They goaded the Flames into a couple penalties, took the lead on the power play, and never looked back.

Like I said last night, I liked the Flames energy and work ethic, but they need to be smarter and the top two lines need to be much better 5 on 5.
His game plan was to allow 85 shots in two games
Old 10-17-2021, 06:57 PM   #236
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Team looked great last night, for being rusty and being thrown into HNIC in Edmonton after a week of watching the rest of the league play. Lucky bounces and officiating went the other way. Entertaining game. Can’t wait for the season! Going to home opener tomorrow
It must be Groundhog Day.

The flames lost because the oilers had a fluky power play that killed us.

The officials were against us.

The broadcast crew on HNIC are pro oilers.

Anyone else tired of that narrative playing out?
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 07:05 PM   #237
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

HNIC is completely unwatchable, particularly when EDM or TOR are involved.

They have nothing new to offer - its the same fawning over McDavid game after game after game. Even Oilers fans I know are tired of the same drivel that gets repeated.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:06 PM   #238
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
It must be Groundhog Day.

The flames lost because the oilers had a fluky power play that killed us.

The officials were against us.

The broadcast crew on HNIC are pro oilers.

Anyone else tired of that narrative playing out?

I watched the game and I saw a slight edge to the flames 5v5. Flames didn’t capitalize on their chances ie Mangy and Gaudreau among others, whereas on the Oilers pp the puck deflected onto McDavid’s stick wide open, and his other one went off our dman.

It’s just what I saw - nothing too concerning and I think the Flames played well overall. Entertaining game too.
heep223 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #239
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really looking forward to the Flames playing a non Canadian team
Old 10-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #240
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I'm happy with the overall effort tonight. If they play like this every night, they'll win more often than not.

If you told me at the beginning of the night it would be a Stamps blowout win and a Flames loss where they outworked their opponent, I would have taken it.
Ah the Stockholm Syndrome.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote