Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2021, 03:09 AM   #41
tfi racing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Good luck with all of that. A year from now the story will be pretty much the same story yet again, just as it has been for decades now.
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:31 AM   #42
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfi racing View Post
Good luck with all of that. A year from now the story will be pretty much the same story yet again, just as it has been for decades now.
Boohoo, there are other teams or even other sports for you to cheer for, I think a one person sport would make you the most happy, maybe kayaking or paddle boarding.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 07:04 AM   #43
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

There is a scene in the Don Cherry story mini-series where management tries to force Cherry to play a prospect. But Cherry wants to win so he basically says “f off”.

This is a tale as old as time.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:26 AM   #44
Dont_trash_Dion
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Flames

In SUTTER We TRUST! Not like the silver spoon in his mouth! Brad!!!! Go make $25 pizzas and continue to rip off the lower class!!
Dont_trash_Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:32 AM   #45
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the kids are ready, they will destroy the AHL and make themselves hard to ignore
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:47 AM   #46
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conroy's gonna Conroy. He's never a dull interview with canned responses. I don't read much into this.
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:27 AM   #47
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way Conroy is putting it they don't have a lot of confidence in their evaluation. Sort of hoping for magic when a prospect gets put with top line players.

This explains the theory that Lievo and Ritchie and Simon, Czarnik might magically become top-6 players if they were gifted an opportunity.

Somehow they were not able to bite the bullet with Bennett (who had exhibited flashes of top-6 talent) past his 1st year

What has Ruzicka done to show he might work with Johnny and Tkachuk?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #48
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Man, I actually liked Czarnik here. Or at least, I was coming around to him, just as he got hurt and was subsequently buried by the team.

Mind you that's on the third line with second line spotter duties. There have been much more useless obscure players plugged into our top 9 though.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #49
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like conroy but he speaks far to much. I can’t see anybody making him a GM for that trait alone .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 10:46 AM   #50
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
The way Conroy is putting it they don't have a lot of confidence in their evaluation. Sort of hoping for magic when a prospect gets put with top line players.

This explains the theory that Lievo and Ritchie and Simon, Czarnik might magically become top-6 players if they were gifted an opportunity.

Somehow they were not able to bite the bullet with Bennett (who had exhibited flashes of top-6 talent) past his 1st year

What has Ruzicka done to show he might work with Johnny and Tkachuk?
This gets old really quick.

The team has Mangiapane pushing into the top six (home grown), Dube chasing him (home grown), a defense core with three of their top seven and one of their top four home grown. They went out and acquired a youngish goaltender and put him in the lineup.

All teams add tweeners as PTOs or NHL min hoping one of them pop. Hell Pittsburgh brought back Simon after his face plant season.

Makes perfect sense to me that Conroy, being in mgmt is excited about seeing guys they drafted and where they're at and is disappointed.

There's nothing more to this.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #51
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While I’m pragmatic, I’m less risk adverse than my CEO at my organization. She will sometimes question more than I’d like, but at times she lets me do my thing. This is a good team think-tank approach and at times we respectfully may not agree, but it’s covered our butts at times. Same thing here. I appreciate its not a robot approach.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:18 PM   #52
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
This gets old really quick.

….a defense core with three of their top seven and one of their top four home grown….
You do understand that is way below average?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #53
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
You do understand that is way below average?
As they say on Wikipedia, *citation needed.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #54
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that Sutter is in the organization, and does what he thinks is best - as he should.

I like that Conroy is in the organization, and that he is pushing his agenda - as he should.

Nothing more to see here, IMO.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #55
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if disconnect it the right word. Conroy said what he would have liked to have seen, but also understands why Sutter organized things the way he did.

There is no doubt in my mind that management let Sutter pick the players he wanted for the team, so not really a disconnect. I see disconnects more when GMs force players onto the roster despite what the coach wants.

I personally would have liked to have seen at least one more rookie on the team. I think it's important for player development to have a couple each year that get to sink or swim and I think there are a few that can play in the NHL, even if on the 4th line.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:08 PM   #56
BigBCalgary
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Nope, you’re a solid poster and not a fear mongerer, good on you for starting discussion.

Conroy’s exhuberance means he speaks a lot of volume and some of it can come across as you state. Players like Richardson and Lewis are here not on a PTO, ripe for getting bumped off. They came here via Sutter to play.

Just wait for the first Snet game though and Francis will hop on this like white on rice and try and stir the pot by blurring fact and fiction.

Sutter wouldn’t have come here if he didn’t have have full control. This isn’t a reality feel good show where the young guy catches fire with the vet and everyone lives happily ever after. Sutter has two or three years left before he retires and isn’t going to mess around with someone else’s theories or experiments as he truly wants this city and organization to experience a Stanley Cup.

I disagree, Richardson, Pitlik and Lewis IMO were brought in as a safety net. Players that management are comfortable with rounding out our bottom six so our rookies can continue to develop until they are ready to overtake existing NHLr's. It was up to the younger players to take a job from one of these guys (and anyone else) to make the team.
This is the NHL, this should be some of the hardest teams to make in the world.
BigBCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote