Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
Biden 6 66.67%
Trump 3 33.33%
Kanye/other/Independent 0 0%
Would not vote 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 08:44 PM   #7001
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1332102292749901824
Old 11-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #7002
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
And Barrett has sided with religious organizations in a dispute against COVID-19 restrictions in New York.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/26/polit...vid/index.html
I can’t say I disagree with Gorsuch here.

Quote:
At the same time, the Governor has chosen to impose no capacity restrictions on certain businesses he considers “es- sential.” And it turns out the businesses the Governor con- siders essential include hardware stores, acupuncturists, and liquor stores. Bicycle repair shops, certain signage companies, accountants, lawyers, and insurance agents are all essential too. So, at least according to the Governor, it may be unsafe to go to church, but it is always fine to pick up another bottle of wine, shop for a new bike, or spend the afternoon exploring your distal points and meridians. Who knew public health would so perfectly align with secular convenience?
As almost everyone on the Court today recognizes, squar- ing the Governor’s edicts with our traditional First Amend- ment rules is no easy task. People may gather inside for extended periods in bus stations and airports, in laundro- mats and banks, in hardware stores and liquor shops. No apparent reason exists why people may not gather, subject to identical restrictions, in churches or synagogues, espe- cially when religious institutions have made plain that they stand ready, able, and willing to follow all the safety pre- cautions required of “essential” businesses and perhaps more besides. The only explanation for treating religious places differently seems to be a judgment that what hap- pens there just isn’t as “essential” as what happens in sec- ular spaces. Indeed, the Governor is remarkably frank about this: In his judgment laundry and liquor, travel and tools, are all “essential” while traditional religious exercises are not. That is exactly the kind of discrimination the First Amendment forbids.
The act of declaring it non essential is the act of discrimination. Given the constitution I agree with the reasoning of Gorsuch far more than the liberal justices.

Acupuncture is essential but religion isn’t? It’s tough to argue that religion isn’t as essential as paramedical services.

I also love reading Gorsuch decisions.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...20a87_4g15.pdf
Old 11-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #7003
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Maybe, just maybe, the US should re-examine what a president can and cannot do unilaterally during a lame duck period. Just a thought.
That's too 1st world for them to comprehend...
Old 11-26-2020, 10:26 PM   #7004
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I can’t say I disagree with Gorsuch here.

The act of declaring it non essential is the act of discrimination. Given the constitution I agree with the reasoning of Gorsuch far more than the liberal justices.

Acupuncture is essential but religion isn’t? It’s tough to argue that religion isn’t as essential as paramedical services.

I also love reading Gorsuch decisions.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...20a87_4g15.pdf
"People may gather inside for extended periods in bus stations and airports, in laundro- mats and banks, in hardware stores and liquor shops. No apparent reason exists why people may not gather, subject to identical restrictions, in churches or synagogues, espe- cially when religious institutions have made plain that they stand ready, able, and willing to follow all the safety pre- cautions required of “essential” businesses and perhaps more besides."

The thing about bus stations and airports is that if you want to go somewhere you have to physically enter them. Likewise you can't zoom acupuncture.

Hardware store and liquor shops generally don't have 100+ people in them so that's not an apt comparison.

Is there any good reason why a preacher/pastor/priest/rabbi/imam can't just livestream their sermon?

Last edited by Oil Stain; 11-26-2020 at 10:29 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 10:33 PM   #7005
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
"People may gather inside for extended periods in bus stations and airports, in laundro- mats and banks, in hardware stores and liquor shops. No apparent reason exists why people may not gather, subject to identical restrictions, in churches or synagogues, espe- cially when religious institutions have made plain that they stand ready, able, and willing to follow all the safety pre- cautions required of “essential” businesses and perhaps more besides."

The thing about bus stations and airports is that if you want to go somewhere you have to physically enter them. Likewise you can't zoom acupuncture.

Hardware store and liquor shops generally don't have 100+ people in them so that's not an apt comparison.

Is there any good reason why a preacher/pastor/priest/rabbi/imam can't just livestream their sermon?
While I personally think that all religion is bunk if you are a true believer you think your eternal soul is damned to hell for eternity if you dont sit in a little box and tell a strangely dressed pedophile how many times you swore the week before, to a believer it is essential.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 10:35 PM   #7006
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
While I personally think that all religion is bunk if you are a true believer you think your eternal soul is damned to hell for eternity if you dont sit in a little box and tell a strangely dressed pedophile how many times you swore the week before, to a believer it is essential.
And in the Gorsuch argument the only way you can deem it non-essential is because you are discriminating against it.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:43 PM   #7007
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't you think you're a little old to be an edge lord?
Old 11-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #7008
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

That is not at all true, as well as grossly condescending and insulting to people who may have different beliefs than you.

The fact is, there are countless churches that are following local health protocols and not attempting to take people to court because they believe they should be able to meet and God will protect them. They livestream or have 30 percent of the church full and wear masks and do everything else.

Even without the pedophile priests..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2020, 11:21 PM   #7009
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
That is not at all true, as well as grossly condescending and insulting to people who may have different beliefs than you.

The fact is, there are countless churches that are following local health protocols and not attempting to take people to court because they believe they should be able to meet and God will protect them. They livestream or have 30 percent of the church full and wear masks and do everything else.

Even without the pedophile priests..
I thought I was being quite understanding, except maybe for the pedo part, and lets be honest the Vatican brings that on itself really
Old 11-26-2020, 11:21 PM   #7010
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Don't you think you're a little old to be an edge lord?
never to old man
Old 11-27-2020, 06:58 AM   #7011
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
Old 11-27-2020, 07:20 AM   #7012
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
except that's not the case.
for example, I went to the website of St. Joseph's Basilica and it states

"Until further notice, Archbishop Smith grants to all the Catholic faithful dispensation from their Sunday obligation due to the COVID-19 pandemic."
Old 11-27-2020, 08:08 AM   #7013
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice

Last edited by calumniate; 11-27-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:16 AM   #7014
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

Holy water? Wait no... you can order that from Figi.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #7015
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe most of the official desks and other props are already at Mar a Lago so he can do the whole 'government in exile' skit after Biden is inaugurated?
Old 11-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #7016
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoever suggested that desk was clearly looking to humiliate Trump.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #7017
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I thought I was being quite understanding, except maybe for the pedo part, and lets be honest the Vatican brings that on itself really
Don't assume that the Vatican speaks for or represents all Christians.... the Vatican is Catholic and they have their own requirements that differ from other Christians. It's akin to lumping all Muslims, or all eastern belief systems, or African spirits, or even calling Scots Englishmen. Not to mention many belief systems, including Christians, *do* allow men AND women to lead. (and yes, unfortunately some women are pedo's too regardless of whether they follow any faith system or not).
Old 11-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #7018
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1332196521341759488

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #7019
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisond...h=159dda783715
https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...2020-11-27.pdf
Quote:
A federal appeals court rejected the Trump campaign’s lawsuit contesting Pennsylvania’s election results Friday, saying the campaign’s arguments are “light on facts” and “have no merit,” marking the second time the courts have resoundly rejected the Trump campaign’s central lawsuit in its legal battle challenging Joe Biden’s victory.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2020, 01:37 PM   #7020
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the Trump campaign is now 1-38 in election challenges. All of this losing has to be so incredibly humiliating for him, and yet he continues to allow his dumbass lawyers to keep throwing s*** at the wall just to get tossed out of court over and over again. It's amazing.
Closed Thread