Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2019, 07:52 PM   #721
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Crown is incredible this season. I know this kind of thing isn't for everyone but they've been hitting on big British events, and how the Queen dealt with it. Episode three is one of the best hours of TV I've ever watched. The story is just.. I don't have the words. Having no idea about what happened (and I won't spoil things) it hits you hard.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #722
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:11 PM   #723
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
The Crown is incredible this season. I know this kind of thing isn't for everyone but they've been hitting on big British events, and how the Queen dealt with it. Episode three is one of the best hours of TV I've ever watched. The story is just.. I don't have the words. Having no idea about what happened (and I won't spoil things) it hits you hard.
I need to watch this. Never been a fan of the monarchy or things related to it, but just heard great things about this show.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 04:57 AM   #724
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Holy ####, I just had to stop in and reiterate this point strongly. That episode might be one of the single best episodes of any TV show ever. This new season of the Crown is superb, even though I haven't watched all of it yet.

Even if you don't think you'd be a fan of a show like this, check it out anyway.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 07:49 AM   #725
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would it be bad to just jump on that one episode, to see if I like it? Not sure I want to start a new series from the start right now. Or should you watch it all in order fromt he start?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #726
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Would it be bad to just jump on that one episode, to see if I like it? Not sure I want to start a new series from the start right now. Or should you watch it all in order fromt he start?
It's episodic in nature, so you could easily jump in to just that one episode to check it out. However, I would highly recommend starting from the beginning at some point. There's a lot of character development from the regulars that you need in order to get a sense of where they are now.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #727
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd recommend watching The Crown from the start.

Its a solid show. We're just starting Season 3 tonight.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #728
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
It's episodic in nature, so you could easily jump in to just that one episode to check it out. However, I would highly recommend starting from the beginning at some point. There's a lot of character development from the regulars that you need in order to get a sense of where they are now.
The wife and I tried to get into it, but I found season one boring AF. Can I jump to season two or three? We really like Olivia Colman...
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #729
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Ya, if I like it I'd add it to the list. I'll give that episode a shot.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #730
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
The wife and I tried to get into it, but I found season one boring AF. Can I jump to season two or three? We really like Olivia Colman...
I still think it's a show that you have to watch from the start at some point. You need to understand some of the formative events that guide the major characters.

It's like NOT watching the origin stories of some superheroes and then going to watch Avengers: Infinity War. Yeah, you'll be entertained, but you won't get nearly as much out of it.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #731
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Crown, in season one I felt badly for The Queen and all the sacrifices having that role forced upon her caused her to make. Now this season I feel badly for Charles, his entire life was and never will be his own. I wonder if she is truly as cold as they portray?
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #732
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Primal on Adult Swim is pretty freaking fantastic. It’s about a caveman who comes back from fishing to see his family slaughtered by dinosaurs, who he hunts down to avenge his family.

There’s no dialogue and it gets really brutal but if you know the creator, Genndy Tartakovsky, you know he’s great.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #733
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Going back to Pennyworth, what a great first year, and that end of the last episode, was wow.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:22 PM   #734
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Those that have watched American Horror Story... Curious to know your order of preference on the seasons. We've watched the first three and I think I'd probably rank them 1, 2, 3 so far. 3 was lacking in horror and felt slow overall.

Watched the first episode of season 4 last night and it really failed to catch our interest. Just curious if this show returns to season 1's goodness or it's a steady downhill trend
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:46 PM   #735
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, The Crown is superb. Episode 3 - Aberfan, as people have said is really good. Just watched Episode 7 - Moondust, which I also thought was really strong.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:08 PM   #736
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
Those that have watched American Horror Story... Curious to know your order of preference on the seasons. We've watched the first three and I think I'd probably rank them 1, 2, 3 so far. 3 was lacking in horror and felt slow overall.

Watched the first episode of season 4 last night and it really failed to catch our interest. Just curious if this show returns to season 1's goodness or it's a steady downhill trend
That show is my guilty pleasure. IMO seasons 1 and 2 stand out from the rest, as it never really is scary again after that. This last season was just campy, but clocking in at 9 episodes it went by quick.

I wouldn’t say it’s a steady downhill trend as the show has picked up a bit from the lady Gaga season. But if you want scares, you won’t really find much in AHS anymore.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #737
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I agree with Strange Brew. Season 1 was really exceptional, Season 2 (I think that was Asylum) was solid. After that it kinds of slide down hill, and they didn't write strong endings. While I enjoyed this year because of its setting in the 80's, I didn't think that it was great, and the ending was soft and they were more after the obvious Friday the 13th brutal kill vibe then chills.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 09:31 PM   #738
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing that I didn't like about this season of AHS is how it was nothing like how the previews made it out to be. I thought maybe it would lead into how the previews were but it never did.

But even so I thought it started off good, then got stupid in the middle, and looked like it was going to get good again and ended with a slack ending.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #739
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got around to checking out When They See Us. Very powerful stuff. Not something to binge really. Only 4 episodes but took me a week or so to get through them all as they're pretty heavy.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:01 PM   #740
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have gotten into The Flight of the Conchords. Not sure how I missed out on this before. It’s a brilliant comedy. I usually find musical numbers boring and bad, but these guys are really funny.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote