Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #41
Mad Mel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @theCBE View Post
Polymer sounds cool but I hope they don't make the bills different sizes.

They do that in the UK as well and its annoying. Especially the really big ones that don't really fit in your wallet or pocket.
Au contraire, my frozen friend. Canadian bills are the unwieldy, large ones.

CAD, Euro, AUD twenties (and ones). And yes, I have far too much time on my hands.

Mad Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mad Mel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #42
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

But doesn't England still use the pound? Those bills are pretty unwieldy.

If you took a burger off the grill and slapped it on your face, I'm pretty sure it would burn you. - kermitology
Berger_4_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #43
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mel View Post
Au contraire, my frozen friend. Canadian bills are the unwieldy, large ones.

CAD, Euro, AUD twenties (and ones). And yes, I have far too much time on my hands.

Do the 100's. The UK Pound notes get too big around the 20.

Speaking of unwieldy money, the Aussie 50 cent piece could double as a saucer for your tea cup, but their $2 coin is tiny...WTF?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #44
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

while they're at it, can we PLEASE get a different person to put on the $20 bill? how about someone that actually represents something about Canada, and not some queen who has no influence over our country and who no one born in Canada can identify with. someone like Tommy Douglas would be a much better fit

hopefully someday we can move completely past the last remnants of the monarchy. we don't need some useless figurehead like a Governor General which in reality is just a waste of taxpayer money, and it'd be nice to stop correcting foreigners when they call our leader president instead of prime minister. we dropped the union jack from our flag over 40 years ago, it's a shame we haven't done more to distance ourselves yet
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #45
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
hopefully someday we can move completely past the last remnants of the monarchy. we don't need some useless figurehead like a Governor General which in reality is just a waste of taxpayer money, and it'd be nice to stop correcting foreigners when they call our leader president instead of prime minister. we dropped the union jack from our flag over 40 years ago, it's a shame we haven't done more to distance ourselves yet
I go back and forth on this issue. Today I don't care if we ever separate ourselves from GB. AFAIC, there are much more important issues to deal with than one figurehead position, and I really don't mind history being part of the present, even if it's completely useless.
I also think that no matter who (party wise) tabled the idea to completely sever all ties from GB, would end up wasting more taxpayer money than what it costs to give Michelle Jean a paycheque. It just seems like an exercise in parliament for the sake of keeping busy (sorta like this waste of time suggestion about changing the lyrics to O Canada).

GB has absolutely no influence whatsoever over our laws, money, or borders. Why waste the time going around changing everything at this point? It made sense for the US to do it back in the 1700s, but it's really just a symbolic gesture at this point in time. A useless one, IMO.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #46
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only part of Britain I want to keep in this country is the 20 oz Imperial Pint.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #47
Mad Mel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger_4_ View Post
But doesn't England still use the pound? Those bills are pretty unwieldy.
I think you're right. I've only been through Heathrow, and Euros were accepted there, but I think pounds are what's normally used. Carry on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Do the 100's. The UK Pound notes get too big around the 20.

Speaking of unwieldy money, the Aussie 50 cent piece could double as a saucer for your tea cup, but their $2 coin is tiny...WTF?
I only had twenties and coins lying around. You're right about the 50 cent pieces, my god they are huge.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 PM   #48
JBTrio
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
They have these type bills in New Zealand and Australia, and they're great.
Yeah, i was just about to post this.

We have them here in Australia, and they're wonderful.

Six more years
JBTrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #49
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=great+britain+currency

Yes, Great Britain is using the pound.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #50
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
They also don't have pennies and prices include tax, which are also great.
I was going to say the best cost cutting measure would be to nuke the penny. Is that just an urban myth is costs over a cent to make a cent or is it true? Either way, we don't need it.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:30 AM   #51
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

IIRC the Australian Bills were set up so that the more they were worth the longer they were. It actually makes a bit of sense and with the polymer money being more durable you can stack it on one end and organize your bills pretty quickly. Than again, unless you buy and sell drugs....who needs cash!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #52
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
IIRC the Australian Bills were set up so that the more they were worth the longer they were.
Yes, Aussie bills are all the same height, but are of varying width, with the more valuable bills being wider than the less valuable. I believe the $50 bill is roughly the same size as Canadian and American bills.

I prefer the Euro system where the entire bill is a different size. I think it was only the 100(and higher) that doesn't fit easily into a standard wallet.

After a month in Europe, it felt strange coming back to Canada and all the bills being the same size.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #53
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
while they're at it, can we PLEASE get a different person to put on the $20 bill? how about someone that actually represents something about Canada, and not some queen who has no influence over our country and who no one born in Canada can identify with. someone like Tommy Douglas would be a much better fit
Especially with how partisan Harper and Co are I think it is extremely unlikely that the Cons would put Tommy Douglas on the bills. They're all about the strategy of politics and self-promotion.

Thought briefly about some sort of collective decision but then I had an image of bills with Don Cherry on them

Totally agree about the Queen though!
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #54
mariners_fever
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

If someone is going to appear on our money, they should at the very least have been a Prime Minister, not a perennial noise-maker.
mariners_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #55
Stranger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

And When the Queen croaks we'll have to redesign everything again with this guy on the money.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #56
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Once the Queen goes I would almost bet on there not being anyone from the British monarchy on Canadian bills ever again.

Just be patient; they'll switch it soon enough.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #57
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do I have to change my name to PlasticMoneyGuy?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #58
Mad Mel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
IIRC the Australian Bills were set up so that the more they were worth the longer they were. It actually makes a bit of sense and with the polymer money being more durable you can stack it on one end and organize your bills pretty quickly. Than again, unless you buy and sell drugs....who needs cash!
You do here, it drives me insane. Pay at the pump, hello? Of course you can pay by card inside, but queuing up sucks but it's way less annoying to just pump $20 and throw a twenty on the counter. It's like the '80's again.

For the record, Aussie bills are about 5mm narrower on the short side than Canadian ones, too. Don't know if Canada will go that way, but I'm a fan of smaller bills.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #59
Discoste
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Bump...
http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/

Discoste is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Discoste For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #60
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Canada's currency is 1000000 times better looking than the US ones.

Plus it's worth more now too.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bertuzzied For This Useful Post:

Tags
currency , money , plastic