Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #41
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Have you ever had a locate done at your property before? It's pretty unlikely that you'd hit something if you're only going 8", and I presume you'd be digging by hand, so you're probably ok. Since the locate is free though, it doesn't hurt to have it done, and that way you'll at least know where the services coming into your property are for future planning.
The problem with that is soil migration.

Clay base, site grade, soil composition, rainfall, ground freeze, etc etc etc can push lines around (which are all built to flex).

Power and telecom cables are especially susceptible to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #42
KevinHogan
Draft Pick

Thanks for your interest!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

For example, I know exactly how my power line snakes from the house to the garage; but if I sold the house the new owner would have no way of knowing. (Other than a private locate as you mentioned.)
It's probably a good practice when buying a new home to order a private locate to establish where the lines are for future informational purposes. Ideally everyone would know exactly what to do when buying a new home, but there's still a lot of future potential for education there.

But to ensure that private lines are registered as well as facility-owned lines would require legislation. At the moment, not even all major facilities are legally required to register. So there's probably an entirely separate discussion to be had about this. Should registration be legally mandated? And to what degree?

Quote:
I'm just thinking that with a name like "one call" it would be handy if that's the only call somebody has to make.
That's a branding concern we are keenly aware of. Phrased one way, it is one call to inform a collection of registered facilities (over 700 members in Alberta, at last count!). I believe our company has been looking at the perception of this brand closely in the past year. I think it's even likely you might see an article about this on our facebook page in the future.

For the time being, our representatives are required to state that privately owned lines are not located, on every call, but it's not a perfect solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by core_upt View Post
To what depth should I be concerned about digging? I tore up some grass along my garage and want to bury some metal edging to contain raspberry bushes, maybe 8" deep? Worth a call?
Definitely worth a call!
Keep in mind that it's possible a line was not laid to code, possible that years of landscaping have moved the ground closer to the line, and even possible that soil erosion and other factors have moved the position of the line over the years.

It's a free service and we are always happy to take a call, regardless of the depth you are digging to. Our criteria for placing a locate request is 'any kind of ground disturbance', so please, give us a call when doing any kind of digging!
KevinHogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #43
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump; I contacted Alberta One Call about planting some trees on the front of the house. There are two utility boxes at the front corner of the lot and I would like to plant trees behind them towards the house but was told there is a conflict with the gas line. What is the depth of a typical gas line and is it something I should avoid entirely? I've seen houses with trees out front that look like they are near the gas lines but not sure about ours
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #44
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends on the age of the area, but usually about metre
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #45
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends on the tree too; I'm no arborist, but from what I know some trees have really...uh, large and strangulating root systems.

Could be problematic down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #46
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The area is about 10-15 years old; the trees are Swedish Aspens so I dont think the roots would go down too deep
Old 06-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #47
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

What size are the pots of the trees you are planting?

I wouldn’t try to plant directly above the gas line, even with a hand dug pot. But I’d plant a hand dug sized pot a couple feet away from the line.

Hydraulic tree spade cannot be used anywhere near the gas line.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #48
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The pots are about 12" x 12" so not too deep. I guess I'd need to figure out exactly where the line is then plant a bit away from it
Old 06-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #49
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way to locate it exactly will be to dig down to it. Gently.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #50
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

And if all else fails I guess I could put in some shrubs that only go about 6" deep
Old 06-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #51
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was just going to suggest that. shrubs around the line, trees once you get a little further away
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #52
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Alberta One-Call: COVID-19 Impacting Safe Digging This Spring:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Digging-Spring
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #53
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

I just had one call mark my lines and they were pretty clear they only do registered utility lines and won't get everything. You're responsible for determining where your residential lines are.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote