Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Ivrnet

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #41
Zarley
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Zarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
As with CalgaryNEXT, timing simply horrible. Probably little to no appetite for big expenditures, especially to host the horrifying, abhorrent IOC. With a crap economy and taxes on the rise and the no good NDP running this province for 3 more years, people simply won't want this.
Most people know that the current government and economic doldrums will be long gone by the time the Olympics would occur. I think most long time residents of Calgary would be supportive given the success and positive legacy of the 88' games. It's just the transplants for the no-fun provinces that need to be won over.

I wasn't around to enjoy the 1988 Olympics but I had the good fortune to experience Vancouver 2010. Not only was it a fantastic experience to attend, the games were transformative for that city as well.

If this bid allows us to use federal funding upgrade our existing facilities while getting a new arena and stadium it's a win for the city. Not to mention potential infrastructure perquisites like an LRT airport link, passenger rail to Banff/Lake Louise, and maybe even high speed rail to Edmonton.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #42
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Be careful that you aren't projecting your personal opinion onto the majority.

FWIW - and obviously totally unscientific - but a March 30 story on this put support for hosting another games at 53%: http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/edi...r-the-olympics

Though that is certainly lower than in years past.
I feel very confident if you put this on the ballot as a public referendum on hosting the Olympics it would be soundly defeated. That is if you allowed for all the financial information to be available. I think the security costs alone would turn a good amount of people against hosting.
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #43
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Most people know that the current government and economic doldrums will be long gone by the time the Olympics would occur. I think most long time residents of Calgary would be supportive given the success and positive legacy of the 88' games. It's just the transplants for the no-fun provinces that need to be won over.

I wasn't around to enjoy the 1988 Olympics but I had the good fortune to experience Vancouver 2010. Not only was it a fantastic experience to attend, the games were transformative for that city as well.

If this bid allows us to use federal funding upgrade our existing facilities while getting a new arena and stadium it's a win for the city. Not to mention potential infrastructure perquisites like an LRT airport link, passenger rail to Banff/Lake Louise, and maybe even high speed rail to Edmonton.
They do? Wow that's amazing to know you can project 10 years into the future of government finance. Care to tell me what all the oil companies will be trading at in 10 years so I can plan my investing accordingly? People know the present, period. They see taxes going up, they see the NDP being the NDP, the see multiple recent Olympic disasters. Right now this would easily fail as a public measure.
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #44
Zarley
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Zarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
They do? Wow that's amazing to know you can project 10 years into the future of government finance. Care to tell me what all the oil companies will be trading at in 10 years so I can plan my investing accordingly? People know the present, period. They see taxes going up, they see the NDP being the NDP, the see multiple recent Olympic disasters. Right now this would easily fail as a public measure.
I'm not going to predict the future here but it's fairly safe to say that the TSX energy index will be trading higher than it is today in the medium term future. It's foolish to assume the status quo is the long term norm. Worldwide demand for petroleum is growing and will continue to grow. The transition away from coal generation will result in more demand for natural gas. It's almost certain that there will not be another right wing vote split in 2019 and the damage the NDP is doing to the province will thankfully be limited to one term.

Long term investors haven't lost confidence in the Calgary and Alberta marketplace and neither have most people in the city. Don't assume that others share your pessimistic outlook.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #45
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos
 
You Need a Thneed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

I'm in support, provided that the bid is a "budget" bid, similar to what other are saying. Reuse existing facilities as much as possible.

That kind of bid is probably all that most places can afford now, so Calgary might not even have to compete against countries promising to spend hundreds of billions.

Frankly, if Calgary puts in a serious bid, the Olympics are likely ours.
__________________
My LinkedIn Profile.
You Need a Thneed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #46
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I'm not going to predict the future here but it's fairly safe to say that the TSX energy index will be trading higher than it is today in the medium term future. It's foolish to assume the status quo is the long term norm. Worldwide demand for petroleum is growing and will continue to grow. The transition away from coal generation will result in more demand for natural gas. It's almost certain that there will not be another right wing vote split in 2019 and the damage the NDP is doing to the province will thankfully be limited to one term.

Long term investors haven't lost confidence in the Calgary and Alberta marketplace and neither have most people in the city. Don't assume that others share your pessimistic outlook.
The thing you have to remember is the bid isn't taking place in 2026, it's happening in 2019. So really everything has to be going well by the end of 2018, because that's when the public support is needed to fully back the bid. I just don't see conditions being that much better in 24-30 months given the current situation, and without that I don't see enough public support to see this through. Really I suspect it doesn't go any further than this, a council discussion and that's that.
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:49 AM   #47
Bunk
Franchise Player
 
Bunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Exp:
Default

I fully support.

There was a movement afoot for 2022, but there was simply not enough time to pull off the bid. But those that pushed it were correct in that they predicted the major players in Europe would all drop out. If we had gone for it, we likely would have easily won against China and Kazakhstan, almost by default. At the time Marcel Aubut and a possible 2024 Toronto bid would have been barriers, however.

Now that Marcel Aubut is out at COC, and Toronto is not bidding anytime soon for a summer games, the path is clear for Calgary.

We would be an attractive, safe host for the IOC and could position ourselves as a budget olympics in a time when so many games, like Sochi, spiralled wildly out of control.
__________________
Trust the snake.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #48
Tyler
Franchise Player
 
Tyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

People "behind" the bid are likely the owners of the Flames.

Great way to get the creosote cleaned up, an Olympic village developed in the West Village (for resale post-Olympics) and CalgaryNEXT approved and paid for with tax dollars

Tyler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #49
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Do not want. This isn't 1988 any more. There's a reason countries like Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and Germany have withdrawn bids in recent years. I have my doubts the Winter Olympics will ever be hosted in Western Europe again. Canada would be wise to follow suit and leave the Olympics to autocracies willing to spend billions on propaganda and lining the pockets of their corrupt cronies.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
If this day gets you riled up, you obviously aren't numb to the disappointment yet to be a real fan.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #50
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

with what facilities?
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #51
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

personally, I do not care what the economy is doing or where the tSX is at, I think that the city bidding for the Olympics would be the worst decision ever.

the Olympics are way too expensive and I think the IOC must laugh as they count their millions and cities trip over themselves to host these things.

So you want to hold the Olympics and build high speed rail lines - how many billions are you prepared to spend?
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #52
Bunk
Franchise Player
 
Bunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Do not want. This isn't 1988 any more. There's a reason countries like Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and Germany have withdrawn bids in recent years. I have my doubts the Winter Olympics will ever be hosted in Western Europe again. Canada would be wise to follow suit and leave the Olympics to autocracies willing to spend billions on propaganda and lining the pockets of their corrupt cronies.
That might be the very reason to do it, so the Olympic movement (which I think still has a lot of value) does not follow that fate. Use Calgary as an opportunity to truly get the scale and execution of the games back on track to something more reasonable and positive in terms of legacy.
__________________
Trust the snake.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 01:08 PM   #53
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Do not want. This isn't 1988 any more. There's a reason countries like Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, and Germany have withdrawn bids in recent years. I have my doubts the Winter Olympics will ever be hosted in Western Europe again. Canada would be wise to follow suit and leave the Olympics to autocracies willing to spend billions on propaganda and lining the pockets of their corrupt cronies.
I'll take that bet.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #54
corporatejay
Franchise Player
 
corporatejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
That might be the very reason to do it, so the Olympic movement (which I think still has a lot of value) does not follow that fate. Use Calgary as an opportunity to truly get the scale and execution of the games back on track to something more reasonable and positive in terms of legacy.
This is the only way it makes sense. Basically tell the IOC, this is how we are proposing to do it, like it or leave it.

I went to Vancouver and loved it, if the infrastructure can be repurposed I'm all for it, but we need to be very very careful here.
__________________
corporatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to corporatejay For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #55
lazypucker
Powerplay Quarterback
 
lazypucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Exp:
Default

If hosting the Olympics will raise my municipal and/or provincial tax, or put the city and/or the province in severe debt, then I will certainly be opposed to it. The 16 days of glory isn't worth it...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #56
shermanator
#1 Goaltender
 
shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

I'm mixed on this.

On the one hand, the idea of Calgary hosting a "budget Olympics" sounds promising, and it would give a case for additional federal funding of the infrastructure projects, such as the Green Line LRT, and even a new arena. Do some renos to the facilities we already have.

On the other hand, the thought of having a "budget Olympics" probably doesn't exist in the minds of the IOC. If that is the case, then there is no reason why we should want to have this, considering how most recent Olympics have left countries with massive debt. Given how much folks around here complain about governments racking up debt, I can't see why there would be much support of hosting an Olympic bid that does this.
__________________

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #57
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker
 
jammies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:
Default

If only we hadn't built that Peace Bridge, we could have afforded to do this. Now we're on the bike lane to nowhere, and all the parking is gone.
__________________
You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.
jammies is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jammies For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 04:32 PM   #58
Flash Walken
Franchise Player
 
Flash Walken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
If only we hadn't built that Peace Bridge, we could have afforded to do this. Now we're on the bike lane to nowhere, and all the parking is gone.
Maybe the city plans on using all the money they are getting from this massive green bin windfall.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk3 View Post
Hell yeah neck tats let's go
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #59
mhsyyc
Backup Goalie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Exp:
Default

I struggle to find a reason why any city would want to host an Olympic games.

1. The cost is prohibitive and while we all feel good about what happened in 1988 I didn't feel good enough to want to pay more taxes so that rich people in the IOC get richer.

2. The Olympic movement has lost its lustre for me. Once pro sports and big money got hold of the movement it lost all its allure. Let's all be realistic here, none of us here care about biathlon or ski jumping other than on the day those events run at the Olympics and if, and only if, a Canadian has a chance at a podium finish. The Olympics are about hockey for us and not much else.

3. The IOC is corrupt. Getting into bed with people of that lack of quality and integrity does nothing for us.

Shame on anyone on council who supports this.
mhsyyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:14 PM   #60
stamps
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Instead of building new facilities, maybe build a high speed rail to Edmonton and use their new arena for some events. I'm not sure if the IOC would be OK with that.
Let me think about that for one second ... uh ... NO ....
stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:00 AM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016