Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #161
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I would cheer for the Seattle Flames.

Those are my boys, I could never cheer for another team.

Those of you saying you would choose to cheer for Edmonton...Jesus Christ that's sad.
The funny part about that is that the Oilers did the EXACT same thing these Flames fans are so angry at Calgary for

Now they are gonna go cheer for them, that will teach those greedy billionaires!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #162
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Everybody is getting waayyy ahead of themselves with this thread.
Well the OP did mention it was hypothetical.

For me that would end my interest in the NHL. I'd likely watch a bit of playoffs and save my dollars and time for other winter pursuits. The biggest reason I don't watch NFL is because I find it tough to follow sports without a local team. Hockey wouldn't be much different.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #163
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
The Flames/King announcement had nothing to do with Seattle as a ploy. That was a coincidence.

Ya that's one hell of a "Coincidence"
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #164
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would probably be done with the NHL completely if it happened. I grew up in Calgary watching the Flames. The Calgary Flames are probably the biggest part of my identity as a sports fan, both due to relating to the team and also the city. Without half of that equation it wouldn't be the same. And I hate all the other Canadian teams so I'd just pull the plug on NHL hockey.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #165
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
Ya that's one hell of a "Coincidence"
IMO Nenshi's announcement and statement had a lot more to do with it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:04 PM   #166
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think that is hard to say without it actually happening.

I am a fan of the Calgary Flames team and that has built up over the 20 years that I haved lived in Calgary. I moved from BC and it took a while to get to like the Flames (partly because they sucked terribly when I got here. I would have a hard time cheering for the Canucks, Oilers or Jets right away and probably would follow the team wherever they went (even if it was a second team in Toronto!). But as the players moved on, I am sure my allegiences would switch.

When I lived in Prince George, I was as much a fan of the Cougars and followed the WHL as much as the NHL. I wonder if I would become a Hitmen fan again (which is the team I followed the most when I moved to Calgary).

I was a huge Expos fan before they left Montreal. I tried to get behind the Nationals, but they didn't do well in Washington to start with. And although I loathed the Jays, I have grown to like the only Canadian baseball team - mostly because of the team and because of their success.

I hope it doesn't come to fruition.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #167
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Like many have said, it's not going to happen. Why in God's holy name would the BoG approve moving a money making franchise? Remember, all the owners need to approve a move.

If by some miracle they moved, I think there would be a lineup of about 1,000 billionaires across the globe ready to put a new team in Calgary. It's a cash cow.

I'd likely start following/supporting the new professional hockey club in Calgary if it were to happen. I'd obviously be interested to see how the players I've become fond of like Monahan and Tkachuk are doing, and I would cheer for them individually, but not as a club.

The Flames make money. They want the city to subsidize a rink so they can make MORE money by charging us, the fans, more. Not cool.
They wouldn't approve the move:

1) Put the Rogers TV deal at risk, which is a massive money maker for the league.
2) Move a profitable Franchise when owners like Carolina, Florida, Islanders and Phoenix are struggling? Yeah, good luck with those owners voting to approve the move. They will probably have their own deals in place to move to Seattle.
3) Growing Canadian Dollar (at least in the near term). With the dollar expected to continue to grow as interest rates climb, the Canadian franchises look considerably better. They make even more $$$ for the league.

I know Estrada trotted out the Raiders deal, but there just isn't the same type of market for NHL teams as there are NFL teams. It isn't even close. I mean the last round of interest should have told them as much with Vegas only being able to pony up the $500 million they needed. Aside from Quebec, there just wasn't that much other interest in owning an NHL team.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:15 PM   #168
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I definitely wouldn't follow the team to Seattle. It would probably massively impact my interaction with the NHL if the team moved. I've been working the past several years on becoming more of a 'hockey' fan than just a 'Flames' fan: watching lots of other games, trying to become a fan of different players, and so on.

But the emotion just isn't there the way it is if the Flames are playing and it certainly wouldn't be there if they moved. I'd definitely cancel my Centre Ice package, that's for sure.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #169
s_procee
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I would Cheer for another Canadian team before cheering for them.

If the oilers figured it out the flames and calgary will too
s_procee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s_procee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #170
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
Nope, not a chance. I cheer for the Calgary Flames, period.
What if they changed their name to the Rocky View No. 44 Flames?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 05:03 PM   #171
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I spend a lot of time in Seattle, so yes. I'll physically follow the Flames to their new digs.
Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #172
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hell no, this would be my out to finally support a team that actually wins stuff.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #173
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Hell no, this would be my out to finally support a team that actually wins stuff.

If you are looking for permission to take leave of the Flames bandwagon you can have mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 06:22 PM   #174
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

We're probably less than a decade from Women's rules anyway, so I'd just cut my losses the second they leave, and take up woodworking or something. Because once hitting and fighting are banned, and cages mandated, we're no longer watching the game of warriors, it's soccer on ice. It's debatable it even has that warrior reputation anymore. And as others have alluded to, NHL athletes minus very few exceptions, have got to be the most boring, cliched bunch of dummies in sports.I don't think I've seen a meaningful intermission interview in 5 years. They might as well roll out a sound board with a picture of Johnny Gaudreau on it, that Roger Millions pushes buttons on after he asks each question. "110%, end to end, gutsy effort.... error...error....error"

The softer the game gets, the more interest I lose. So my interest in the NHL has been waning as it is. So in reality, if they leave, I'd probably be way more productive in the little free time I get, so it would be a good thing.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #175
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What if they changed their name to the Rocky View No. 44 Flames?
Hmm... that's a tough one. Not a fan of Calaway Park and Crossiron Mills.
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ikaris For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #176
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

No
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #177
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would the Oilers put the Alberta patch on both shoulders? I'd unfortunately run out of toilet paper. Can't wipe your ass with a flag on it.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #178
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Umh. Tough question. I wouldnt cheer for Edmonton. I would probably be choked enough by the flames leaving that I would be temporarily unable to watch hockey. I would initially do it "on principal", and then slowly come back to watch. I would probably support the Seattle flames, until we got a different crappy franchise to relocate back to Calgary, in the beginning stages of a rebuild, and then I would pretend that THEY we're the original flames franchise and that they never left in the first place. I would say rediculous things like "iginla was the best player the franchise ever had", and then go postal when someone corrected me and told me that he never played with this franchise. You know, loser denial.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:40 AM   #179
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Soooo... is this thread... ummm... how do you call it... sponsored market research?
Old 09-14-2017, 06:45 AM   #180
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Lol @ this thread Flames are going nowhere , if the team made it thru the 90's and a 60 cent dollar there is no chance they will move now. A Arena will be built this is all a part of negotiations.
Flamenfame is offline   Reply With Quote