Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Ivrnet

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #261
442scotty
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Exp:
Default

I think it's hilarious that people still think Janko will go back to the A or needs more time in the A. He would have to have the worst training camp ever to get sent down. He is up to stay barring injury or a complete meltdown. They will ease him in and he's never going to look back. The negative nellies said the same thing about Gaudreau...
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #262
belsarius
Powerplay Quarterback
 
belsarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Edmonton
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't mind him playing wing, or switching on and off on the fourth line C with Stajan (who could also be moved to wing). Calgary's fourth line is going to be one of the better ones in the league. The way things presently shake out, that fourth line could include Stajan, who's a solid vet, Lazar, who has skill, Brouwer, who has experience, and something to prove, Versteeg, who is a very decent player, or maybe Foo.

Jankowski is ready for the NHL either way IMO. And I'm one who was pretty cautious about expectations for him.
I would like to see Jankowski playing wing on the fourth line to start and transitioning to centre over time. I think learning from Stajan would be a great start for him and developing as a player, even with limited ice-time compared to the AHL just sitting beside someone like Stajan pointing out the game would be a boost imo. The red wings are always used as a model for not overcooking in the minors, and I always use Joe Thornton as an example that playing limited time on the fourth line as a rookie doesn't mean you are stuck there for your career.
__________________
Everyone handles it differently, but Iíve never been a big chirper myself because the sound of the goal horn is loud enough. - Johnny Hockey

Yakupov: this is first time I've played on really, really good team. I think it's awesome, I don't know what winning is.
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #263
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
The young stars is losing its value with the loose roster rules...
I guess that would depend entirely on how this value is measured. I suspect that each participating NHL team has their own reasons for attending each summer, and so long as they find the tournament useful, then who are we to complain?

Quote:
The Flames sending him to this tournament looks to be an effort to pump him up to get him ready for main camp.
Even if this is the case (I don't believe it is) do you see a problem with it? The Flames have a development plan for Jankowski and if that includes attendance at the Young Stars Tournament for whatever reason, then so be it.

Let's be honest: the play and the results in the games themselves are primarily for fan benefit, but the scouts and coaches of each NHL team have their own metrics and rationale for evaluating prospects. In the end it is a high performance event in which to get another look at young players and I would think that on its own maintains tremendous value for everyone involved.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #264
djsFlames
Franchise Player
 
djsFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Where opinions are fact
Exp:
Default

Could still see Janko getting sent down if he has a quiet camp. He'll have to be productive and do some notable things to make the final cuts, alike Gaudreau, who put his elite skills on display in the preseason before his rookie season, to the point where it basically made it impossible for them to send him to the A, even though he disappeared a bit in the first month after making it.
djsFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #265
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

The tournament has tremendous value for each of the teams, I would think. Also, most (if not all) of the teams around the league now participate in one of these. Because it is useful.

The fact that different teams have different criteria and different goals/purposes for the event is irrelevant. As long as the games are reasonably competitive (no one would want to see lopsided blowouts), who cares what each team is trying to accomplish with their prospects?

It is an opportunity to see some young guys play, and a chance for them to show the organization what they've got.

How is that a problem in any way? How has it lost its value? Absolutely bizarre take.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #266
GranteedEV
Franchise Player
 
GranteedEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
I am beginning to wonder if Mangiapane is going to have a similar career trajectory as Kenny Agostino. Smart, quality player that can generate offense at the AHL level, but might have difficulty moving up the ladder as he doesn't do any one thing exceptionally well (except he's fast and is smart)
Mangiapane shoots exceptionally well. Might have the nicest shot release out of our entire prospect pool.

Also Agostino had 3 points in 7 NHL games last year, so I'm not sure the book on him is written. You don't get a one-way contract as a UFA if a team doesn't think you can move up the ladder.
__________________

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #267
dammage79
Franchise Player
 
dammage79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Mangiapane shoots exceptionally well. Might have the nicest shot release out of our entire prospect pool.

Also Agostino had 3 points in 7 NHL games last year, so I'm not sure the book on him is written. You don't get a one-way contract as a UFA if a team doesn't think you can move up the ladder.
I favor Jankowski and his nappy warp drive whip.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #268
ricardodw
Franchise Player
 
ricardodw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The tournament has tremendous value for each of the teams, I would think. Also, most (if not all) of the teams around the league now participate in one of these. Because it is useful.

The fact that different teams have different criteria and different goals/purposes for the event is irrelevant. As long as the games are reasonably competitive (no one would want to see lopsided blowouts), who cares what each team is trying to accomplish with their prospects?

It is an opportunity to see some young guys play, and a chance for them to show the organization what they've got.

How is that a problem in any way? How has it lost its value? Absolutely bizarre take.
Very good points... I guess its not the Flames fault that the fans take some significance of an AHL laden team actually looking better than a junior team.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=163691

From the comments on that game it would seem that the Flames have at least 4 prospects NHL ready because they are better than the Canucks players that have not yet turned pro.

I did not see any analysis that the Flames must be in prospect trouble because the Jets and Oilers not yet pros were competitive.

Not what the Flames management was likely getting out of the games so I guess no real harm done.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #269
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Very good points... I guess its not the Flames fault that the fans take some significance of an AHL laden team actually looking better than a junior team.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=163691

From the comments on that game it would seem that the Flames have at least 4 prospects NHL ready because they are better than the Canucks players that have not yet turned pro.

I did not see any analysis that the Flames must be in prospect trouble because the Jets and Oilers not yet pros were competitive.

Not what the Flames management was likely getting out of the games so I guess no real harm done.
Almost every single poster said they don't care too much about who wins, just about how the key prospects look.

Who cares who the Jets iced? If they iced a bunch of junior players, you should be happy that they did well.

Again, no idea what your point is with this.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #270
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Very good points...
So, what is your point, exactly?

Your first post in this thread fits the mould of a lot of your other posts where you seem to have no other interest than to passively aggressively disparage the Flames and their fans.

Most posters in this thread have spoken at length about Flames prospects they like or dislike, how they have improved or disappointed, and even observed about players in the other organizations. Do you have anything of the like sort to contribute?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #271
Flames Draft Watcher
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
So, what is your point, exactly?
What's his point ever? He rarely makes any sense at all. That's why its so frustrating to try and converse with him. He almost never makes a coherent argument. When you address what you think he's talking about he just comes up with some other mumbo jumbo. It's bizarre.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #272
ricardodw
Franchise Player
 
ricardodw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
So, what is your point, exactly?

Your first post in this thread fits the mould of a lot of your other posts where you seem to have no other interest than to passively aggressively disparage the Flames and their fans.

Most posters in this thread have spoken at length about Flames prospects they like or dislike, how they have improved or disappointed, and even observed about players in the other organizations. Do you have anything of the like sort to contribute?
All of the Flames prospects play in this tournament have to be discounted because the Flames dressed a far more experienced line-up. Even the pure rookies that the Flames played would look better than they might because they were playing with guys that already had a full pro year in.

The quality of the opposition matters. For instance if Jankowski is going to play in the NHL for any significant stretch this season it will his defensive abilities that win him ice time. Who was he responsible for shutting down in this tournament?

It is pretty obvious that your particular point of view is not validated by what I consider a significant difference in the approaches of the various organizations. I do not think that you have ever seen any of my contributions in a positive light.

Quote:
Sorry Textcritic is a moderator/admin and you are not allowed to ignore him or her.

Last edited by ricardodw; 09-12-2017 at 05:25 PM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #273
Enoch Root
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
All of the Flames prospects have to be discounted because the Flames dressed a far more experienced line-up. Even the pure rookies that the Flames played would look better than they might because they were playing with guys that already had a full pro year in.

The quality of the opposition matters. For instance if Jankowski is going to play in the NHL for any significant stretch this season it will his defensive abilities that win him ice time. Who was he responsible for shutting down in this tournament?

It is pretty obvious that your particular point of view is not validated by what I consider a significant difference in the approaches of the various organizations. I do not think that you have ever seen any of my contributions in a positive light.
You seem offended that the Flames iced a more experienced lineup than your precious little Jets. I think you should take a closer look at the lineup the Flames actually iced for that game (spoiler: Jankowski didn't play).

And again, what fricking difference does it make?
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #274
Flames Draft Watcher
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
For instance if Jankowski is going to play in the NHL for any significant stretch this season it will his defensive abilities that win him ice time. Who was he responsible for shutting down in this tournament?
You made that up. As you do with a lot of your points. Jankowski may make the NHL based on his offensive merits as much as his defensive merits. His offence is what stood out. He's a big, strong playmaking centre with good puck protection, stick handling, shooting, face-offs. Why is it that its his defense that is the only thing that wins him ice time? You made that up. It's all in your head man. You imagine that Hamilton isn't trusted by the coaches. You imagine that Jankowski can only make the NHL based on defensive play. Your views often do not align with reality. You live in your own fantasy world in your head and that's why people clash with your "interesting" views.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 09-12-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #275
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!
 
sureLoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Learning Phaneufs skating style
Exp:
Default

wrong thread
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #276
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
...The quality of the opposition matters. For instance if Jankowski is going to play in the NHL for any significant stretch this season it will his defensive abilities that win him ice time. Who was he responsible for shutting down in this tournament?
Does it matter to you that Jankowski was one of the top rookies playing in the AHL last year in his first professional hockey season? I am stupefied why you would honestly consider two utterly meaningless games played in the summer time as more significant than a full professional campaign in the assessment of a hockey player. It is perspectives such as these that cause me to believe you cannot be serious, and are just looking to get a rise out of members of the forum.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #277
DazzlinDino
First Line Centre
 
DazzlinDino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Grew up in Calgary now living in USA
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
All of the Flames prospects play in this tournament have to be discounted because the Flames dressed a far more experienced line-up. Even the pure rookies that the Flames played would look better than they might because they were playing with guys that already had a full pro year in.

The quality of the opposition matters. For instance if Jankowski is going to play in the NHL for any significant stretch this season it will his defensive abilities that win him ice time. Who was he responsible for shutting down in this tournament?

It is pretty obvious that your particular point of view is not validated by what I consider a significant difference in the approaches of the various organizations. I do not think that you have ever seen any of my contributions in a positive light.

Why does the quality of opposition matter but the Flames don't because they played a more experienced line up? Tre said that the Flames want to see what certain guys could do, "not blending in, but standing out". The "Flames" are looking at guys they might consider NHL ready not just prospects.

The Flames have an agenda and a vested interest filled with objectives and timelines. This might be similar, or completely different from other teams. Unfortunately for you what matters to the Flames organization might not matter to you because you don't have a vested interest in the team!? No vested interest = misguided opinion about the teams needs. Having said that, I am glad you consider our players better than what other teams had to offer.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 11:07 PM   #278
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
...The Flames have an agenda and a vested interest filled with objectives and timelines. This might be similar, or completely different from other teams...
Moreover it is important to point out to ricardodw that prospect attendance at these tournaments are cyclical, based on the makeup and developmental trajectory of each team's prospect pool. Not that long ago several of the Flames best prospects were held out of this tournament because of NCAA commitments: no Gaudreau, no Gillies, no Hickey, and no Jankowski. One of the reasons the Jets have such a deep prospect pool in the first place is because the NHL team is awful and has accomplished nothing outside of accumulating tonnes of draft picks for players who are destined to abandon Winnipeg at the first opportunity. Good for them for playing well in a game at a meaningless summer tournament.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #279
Fighting Banana Slug
First Line Centre
 
Fighting Banana Slug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
What's his point ever? He rarely makes any sense at all. That's why its so frustrating to try and converse with him. He almost never makes a coherent argument. When you address what you think he's talking about he just comes up with some other mumbo jumbo. It's bizarre.
Too bad Ricardo changed his avatar. His points made more sense if you read them in Cartman's voice.
__________________
From HFBoard oiler fan, in analyzing MacT's management:
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 11:50 AM   #280
Fan69
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
All of the Flames prospects play in this tournament have to be discounted because the Flames dressed a far more experienced line-up. Even the pure rookies that the Flames played would look better than they might because they were playing with guys that already had a full pro year in.

The quality of the opposition matters. For instance if Jankowski is going to play in the NHL for any significant stretch this season it will his defensive abilities that win him ice time. Who was he responsible for shutting down in this tournament?

It is pretty obvious that your particular point of view is not validated by what I consider a significant difference in the approaches of the various organizations. I do not think that you have ever seen any of my contributions in a positive light.
So if he plays twenty games and has 15 points but is a minus back to the a he goes?
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:59 PM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016