Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2019, 06:43 PM   #1241
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Technically the federal version is not a tax grab. The money is rebates to citizens.
Exactly why it is a total crock.

A proper carbon tax would fun green energy projects. Combine that with incentives for the private industry to invest in green energy and you have a deadly combination.

But instead we have a load of garbage for a tax and a government too incompetent to know what to do about emissions.

What a mess.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #1242
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Exactly why it is a total crock.

A proper carbon tax would fun green energy projects. Combine that with incentives for the private industry to invest in green energy and you have a deadly combination.

But instead we have a load of garbage for a tax and a government too incompetent to know what to do about emissions.

What a mess.
Absolutely not.

There is no way that the ideal amount of investment in green projects is the correct amount of Carbon Tax to collect to change behaviour.

The Carbon Tax is designed to change behaviour over a long period of time using a price incentive. If started in 1990 it would have worked with minimal economic impact. It’s a little late know. It’s the most right wing approach to climate change. Price the externality and let the market solve your problems. Almost a perfect solution.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:57 PM   #1243
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Absolutely not.

There is no way that the ideal amount of investment in green projects is the correct amount of Carbon Tax to collect to change behaviour.

The Carbon Tax is designed to change behaviour over a long period of time using a price incentive. If started in 1990 it would have worked with minimal economic impact. It’s a little late know. It’s the most right wing approach to climate change. Price the externality and let the market solve your problems. Almost a perfect solution.
I'm not saying that the carbon tax is ALL we should do. I'm saying is that using the carbon tax to send rebates to citizens is pointless.

It needs to be used to change behavior AND fund better behavior.

The other thing that annoys the hell out of me is the fact that NO practical solutions are being presented. NONE. It is all soundbites and stupidity. And yet people think that is the way forward.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:09 PM   #1244
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not saying that the carbon tax is ALL we should do. I'm saying is that using the carbon tax to send rebates to citizens is pointless.

The other thing that annoys the hell out of me is the fact that NO practical solutions are being presented. NONE. It is all soundbites and stupidity. And yet people think that is the way forward.
It isn’t pointless. If you set the Carbon tax at the point that removing carbon from a product is less than the cost of the tax then the market will make the less carbon intensive product available for a lower cost. Now it requires a belief from industry that the Carbon Tax will always exist and not be canceled but the Market can solve this.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #1245
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm saying is that using the carbon tax to send rebates to citizens is pointless.

I think rebate is a bit of a misnomer. If I go pretty much off-grid and bicycle to all my destinations, I would not be paying much into the 'carbon tax' relative to my counterpart who drives everywhere and has no regard for electricity consumption. Yet we would still be eligible for the same amount of 'rebate'.

So there is incentive to change behaviour.

Further, roughly half of the funds received from the carbon tax were invested back into the economy, including into energy efficiency and clean tech technology, greener infrastructure and coal phase out. It's not allowed to go to general revenue.

So is that not pretty much what you were looking for?

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...-been-spent-on
Quote:
In terms of single projects, Calgary and Edmonton unsurprisingly topped the list, with $33.5 million dedicated to Calgary’s C-Train Green Line expansion and close to $230 million to Edmonton’s LRT build out. (Both projects are also promised millions of dollars more in coming years).

The bulk of the 2,000 line items funded by the carbon tax, however, are in rural Alberta. They’re small green projects, like energy audits on town buildings, retrofitting arenas with LED lights, helping farmers become more energy efficient, upgrading seniors’ homes and working with First Nations to develop community energy plans
EDIT: Oh sorry, you're talking federal. Sounds like you were a fan of the NDP's carbon tax plan. In that case, hopefully Kenney is able to ask to go back to the NDP's version instead of taking on the federal one come January 1, 2020. But I wouldn't hold your breath

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 10-23-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 07:52 PM   #1246
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Yes the federal carbon tax is a crock of garbage IMO.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #1247
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should note that I am not a fan of the carbon tax, so I,don’t have An answer to your question but I guess simplisticly yes, they would all be paying more and it would be another input cost that is passed down to the end user.

But to me if the true goal is to change behaviour then that is what it will really take. Of course if we all stopped buying fuel, the government would likely have cash flow issues due to the massive level of tax applied to fuel and they would simply dream up a new mass transit tax or something like that to continue to fleece the flock.

To me the current CT is just another tax we need to pay, and then for the provinces that get rebates, just further underscores that the current level is just another scheme to extract more money from us and add a level of complexity to the scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Are you going to tax diesel fuel the same way? What about commercial flights? Taxi and delivery services, will they pay the same for fuel? Government vehicles? Emergency vehicles?
Old 10-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #1248
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So who did you vote for in the Alberta election?
Really curious what that matters to discussion when this is about a federal election. But for your satisfaction I voted for a fellow named Doug Schweitzer who beat the incumbent AB party guy named Greg Clark by IIRC 17%.

Weird,

Quote:
Was it by chance the guy that was proven to have had a kamikaze candidate help him win the leadership race
Again...really weird question. I was truly unaware that running a kamikaze candidate is against the law.....or that anyone has been convicted of anything related.

Sooo....

Quote:
and is currently being investigated by the RCMP for identity fraud?
Then thats on him . If investagations lead to charges....the we have an apples to apples discussion.

Last edited by transplant99; 10-23-2019 at 09:22 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:35 PM   #1249
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Defeated parties ask for recounts in 3 narrowly-won ridings
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fed...ebec-1.5339965

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote