Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default DNA my Dog

So, a while back I decided to bite the bullet to satisfy my curiosity on what breed(s) of dog our mutt was made up and ordered a kit from DnaMyDog.

I had a fair idea what I thought the dog consisted of at least for a couple of breeds but wasn't certain.
Anyways, the results came in today. They are in the spoiler below as well as what I thought she was made up off.

Here's a couple of pics so you can have a guess and see how close you were and what you think of the results.

Medium sized dog, about 44lbs.

My guess and results.

Spoiler!

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

German Shepard 50%- coloring
Golden Retriever 25%- bottom pic head looks just like my Mom and Dad's GR
???? 25%

Mind you the coloring could be from nya mix of black and yellow dogs as nothing else seems German Shepard, I dunno neat game though
Old 08-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you think of the results? I was convinced on German Shepherd also. I didn't see Golden Retriever in her at all.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have bet large sums on that being a german Shepard body on your dog. Very surprised that it isn't in there in any % large enough to show up.

I see the retriever head though and thought it was in there as well.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #5
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice looking dog, whatever it is.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 12:00 AM   #6
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Not surprising to see Basenji in there considering how old that breed is, and how ancestral it is to most, if not all, modern dog breeds.

I bet pretty much everyone who DNA's their Dog finds some Basenji at level 5.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #7
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would have guessed Beagle and Lab,

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess was German Shepard and Lab. Boy I was way off.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hows your dog's temperament?
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #10
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember looking into this when we first got a dog - we did it, but the prevailing info I gathered seemed to suggest it was a bunch of bull. It can lead to some entertainment but I'd never test again.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #11
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

i thought a beagle and german shep as well. either way a beautiful dog.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brannigans Law For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #12
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Genomes of modern dogs and wolves provide new insights on domestication

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...-domestication

Dogs and wolves evolved from a common ancestor between 9,000 and 34,000 years ago, before humans transitioned to agricultural societies, according to an analysis of modern dog and wolf genomes from areas of the world thought to be centers of dog domestication.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
I remember looking into this when we first got a dog - we did it, but the prevailing info I gathered seemed to suggest it was a bunch of bull. It can lead to some entertainment but I'd never test again.
That's sort of the reason behind the thread. I'm not 100% sold on the results and wanted to gauge if others were seeing in the dog what I was seeing (German Shepherd, Beagle).

When sending off the sample there is an option to submit a picture of the dog if you want a little certificate thingy and a suspicious sounding question along the lines of "what breeds do you think your dog might consist of?

I didn't submit a pic and answered "no idea".

I'm struggling to accept the results. I was convinced there was shepherd in there somewhere, and the Alaskan Malamute I just don't see. Sheltie or Basenji I wasn't expecting at all, although granted they are small.

Were you satisfied with your results, were they sort of what you were expecting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
Hows your dog's temperament?
Very pleasant with both humans and other dogs, plays well, zero aggression. Playful and very submissive. Quite intelligent and easy taught. Willing to please. When off leash she is a real sniffer and will follow a scent which suggested the hound aspect to me and hence Beagle. Low to medium prey drive in that she will stalk a squirrel when off leash but easily called of it and won't tug at the leash to get to it. Could care less about cats. Medium energy. Likes water.

Last edited by Bagor; 08-27-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #14
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
That's sort of the reason behind the thread. I'm not 100% sold on the results and wanted to gauge if others were seeing in the dog what I was seeing (German Shepherd, Beagle).

When sending off the sample there is an option to submit a picture of the dog if you want a little certificate thingy and a suspicious sounding question along the lines of "what breeds do you think your dog might consist of?

I didn't submit a pic and answered "no idea".

I'm struggling to accept the results. I was convinced there was shepherd in there somewhere, and the Alaskan Malamute I just don't see. Sheltie or Basenji I wasn't expecting at all, although granted they are small.

Were you satisfied with your results, were they sort of what you were expecting?

Very pleasant with both humans and other dogs, plays well, zero aggression. Playful and very submissive. Quite intelligent and easy taught. Willing to please. When off leash she is a real sniffer and will follow a scent which suggested the hound aspect to me and hence Beagle. Low to medium prey drive in that she will stalk a squirrel when off leash but easily called of it and won't tug at the leash to get to it. Could care less about cats. Medium energy. Likes water.
The Malamute could account for the GSD dark colouring on its side?
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
The Malamute could account for the GSD dark colouring on its side?
I agree, the black along the sides and back is very consistent with a Malamute.

From the face I see Lab or Beagle.

I can see the golden coloring of the feet and face being Golden Retriever.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #16
zyzz
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Cool. Might have to give this a shot. 60 bucks and two weeks for results
zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #17
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Might be interesting to submit the sample again under a different name with a picture and a list of what breeds you think it might be, see if you get different results?

Hard to believe that dog doesn't have any shepard in it.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #18
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

How does this work? Aren't most domestic breeds recently developed by artificial selection? What markers would these new breeds have to distinguish them?

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=23206

Five years since companies introduced commercial dog breed identification genetic tests, veterinarians continue to wonder if the tests are valid. Hoping to find the answer, the VIN News Service put the tests to the test.

We submitted DNA samples on six dogs to compare the results and check for consistency. We knew the breed backgrounds of four of the dogs, so were able to determine whether the tests gave correct answers.

The concept of determining a dog’s breed background by analyzing its DNA is grounded in science. In a paper published in the journal Science in 2004, canine geneticist Elaine Ostrander and colleagues described a technique they developed for identifying dog breeds based on genetic markers. Ostrander, who currently works at the National Human Genome Research Institute, part of the National Institutes of Health, described the approach, along with her broader work on the canine genome, in an article published in 2007 by American Scientist.

The markers the researchers used are not genes themselves, but repeating sequences of DNA known as microsatellites. The commercial tests use a different kind of marker known as single-nucleotide polymorphisms — abbreviated SNPs and pronounced like "snips” — that are small mutations within the genome. Whether using microsatellites or SNPs, the markers, taken together, form signatures particular to each breed.

Because the identification technique is not based on genes, it does not specifically relate to physical or behavioral traits that characterize particular breeds. In other words, the technique doesn’t recognize a bulldog by finding the genes that give it a snub nose, beefy head and squat stature.

Breeds have distinctive genetic signatures owing to the fact their members are genetic isolates — that is, bred from a limited population of dogs. The more unique the breed characteristics, the easier to identify a breed's members via their DNA. Explained Dr. Urs Giger, a veterinarian who heads the clinical program in medical genetics and pediatrics at the University of Pennsylvania (UPenn) School of Veterinary Medicine: “The more you’re inbreeding ... that will clearly make the genes among the dogs more similar.”

http://thebark.com/content/can-dna-decipher-mix

http://thebark.com/content/do-dna-te...enetic-secrets

Last edited by troutman; 08-27-2014 at 04:23 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote