Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #2041
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Coming soon to an Alberta school near you....
Old 11-15-2019, 09:31 PM   #2042
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Well, when you do that it usually results in fewer victims of crime. But it's not as fun as being mad. I get it.
It’s not fun for anyone, and I don’t blame the victims families for being mad.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #2043
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well this is just messed up.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news...xYd3LwsGfofZK/

https://twitter.com/user/status/1195505295939768320
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #2044
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...raud-1.5378917

I thought only old people fell for these scams. Takes a lot of guts to admit that you thought the RCMP would tell you to take cash out from your bank account and go buy iTunes gift cards. Millenials. Sheesh.

Edit: And I know she is a millenial because her 'life savings' was $4,000.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #2045
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post

I thought only old people fell for these scams. Takes a lot of guts to admit that you thought the RCMP would tell you to take cash out from your bank account and go buy iTunes gift cards. Millenials. Sheesh.

Wow, that's pretty weird she could fall for that. Like driving around to all the stores and getting gift cards, then withdrawing all her money and buying gift cards, then increasing her credit limit to take out more cash to buy more gift cards. I wonder if she is intellectually challenged or something. That is beyond what a well-functioning person would allow to happen.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #2046
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Although this wasn't a massive amount of money, I don't think it would hurt (especially for older people and people who don't have the experience to ascertain that this is a scam) to double check whether somebody buying a couple of grand worth of gift cards isn't being manipulated to do it.

It would probably make for some feel-good story that Walmart or Superstore saved some elderly person from making a big mistake.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #2047
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only good thing to take away from this is that the sick creep who put up the signs will have it backfire -- their story is going to get way more attention now and will lead to them raising much more than they would've before.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #2048
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Although this wasn't a massive amount of money, I don't think it would hurt (especially for older people and people who don't have the experience to ascertain that this is a scam) to double check whether somebody buying a couple of grand worth of gift cards isn't being manipulated to do it.

It would probably make for some feel-good story that Walmart or Superstore saved some elderly person from making a big mistake.
Stores are wise to it now -- the wife of a co-worker almost got duped in to this a couple years ago but was stopped by the teller at London Drugs. Like if someone was buying ten or more gift cards or something, their policy was to check for the scam and inform the person.

Probably why they had this girl running around to lots of different stores and kept her on the line for 4+ hours. Kept it to 5 gift cards per store or whatever so that the store wouldn't be tipped off and stop her.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #2049
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Stores are wise to it now -- the wife of a co-worker almost got duped in to this a couple years ago but was stopped by the teller at London Drugs. Like if someone was buying ten or more gift cards or something, their policy was to check for the scam and inform the person.

Probably why they had this girl running around to lots of different stores and kept her on the line for 4+ hours. Kept it to 5 gift cards per store or whatever so that the store wouldn't be tipped off and stop her.

Yeah, that's bizarre. I wonder what the guy told her that convinced her to go around to different stores, rather than initially trying to bunch at all once. It doesn't really fit with the scammer's narrative of transfer your money to gift cards.

What the heck to the scammers do with the gift cards? Use those online gift card exchange sites?
Old 12-02-2019, 03:00 PM   #2050
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, that's bizarre. I wonder what the guy told her that convinced her to go around to different stores, rather than initially trying to bunch at all once. It doesn't really fit with the scammer's narrative of transfer your money to gift cards.

What the heck to the scammers do with the gift cards? Use those online gift card exchange sites?
Sell them at 90%?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:04 PM   #2051
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

the part that makes me think "I don't want top live on this planet anymore" is that a normal person would be dumb enough to fall for anything where you're told to buy gift cards.

seriously you think revenue Canada or the RCMP needs you to buy gift cards to protect yourself? it's ridiculous.

I can forgive an elderly person falling for it perhaps, but that's it.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #2052
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
the part that makes me think "I don't want top live on this planet anymore" is that a normal person would be dumb enough to fall for anything where you're told to buy gift cards.

seriously you think revenue Canada or the RCMP needs you to buy gift cards to protect yourself? it's ridiculous.

I can forgive an elderly person falling for it perhaps, but that's it.
That"dumb" person is pretty brave for telling her story knowing other people would call her dumb. Kudos to her.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #2053
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, I don't want to live in a world where people rip on a 23 year old for only having $4,000 in life savings. Not everyone has the ability to stash large sums of money away at that age.

I look forward to the millenials vs boomers debate to come right after this...

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #2054
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I wonder if they have an app in the app store, and they use the cards to buy the app at a hugely inflated price, then they get the cash from Apple. Sure, Apple takes 30%, but it would be one way around it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #2055
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wasn't this discussion already on CP, where a couple immigrant posters mentioned that this scam is directed at immigrants from corrupt countries where paying bribes to make officers/officials go away is par for the course?

It makes sense, if you're new to Canada, speak little English and get a call from revenue Canada saying "Here's the deal, it's bad, but we can make it go away like this". Sure, to a white, born Canadian the idea is absurd and you'd think you'd have to be stupid to fall for it.

But an immigrant from a country where bribes and pay offs are common, their thought process is likely "OMG, I don't want ANY trouble in my new country, I could be deported after spending half my life to get here. What do they want? A grand in gift cards? I'd better just do it".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #2056
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Also, I don't want to live in a world where people rip on a 23 year old for only having $4,000 in life savings. Not everyone has the ability to stash large sums of money away at that age.

I look forward to the millenials vs boomers debate to come right after this...
Who would rip on a 23 year old for $4000 in life savings?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #2057
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Or anyone for that matter.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 05:07 PM   #2058
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Yep, several of the bigger box-style stores are wise to this now. I've had several call CPS to come and speak to the person buying the gift cards after they are refused. Some store staff now know to keep an eye out for folks buying multiple gift cards, especially if they are the phone. I know of 5x situations like this that stores have stepped in and stopped the scam with them.

It often takes CPS some time to convince the victim that they are being scammed. As mentioned earlier up-thread, this sort of thing is usually targeted at new-to-Canada Canadians.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:17 PM   #2059
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Are you sure it wasn't because it states she is 23 years old right in the article and you're just being a bit of a dick?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #2060
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
From just a few posts up: "And I know she is a millenial because her 'life savings' was $4,000". I would have killed to have savings of that much at 25.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post: