Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #721
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Yeah, why would anyone want a 24 year old potential #1 goaltender that has looked very good in the NHL so far?

The kid is 3 years younger than Rittich and has put up comparable numbers on a far worse defensive team.
1st off, I never said I wouldn't want him. Just not watering down a Gaudreau return and especially with an expansion draft looming. What if Rittich takes a massive leap forward next season, so you extend him and then lose Giorgiev to Seattle for squat?

2nd, goalies are voodoo. Whatever he's looked like so far means very little. Jake Allen looked amazing off and on for years, but it took Binnington catching fire out of nowhere for the Blues to actually get Cup quality goaltending for once. The AHL is riddled with goalies who "looked good in the NHL so far" when they were in their early mid 20's.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 07-04-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:17 PM   #722
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
1st off, I never said I wouldn't want him. Just not watering down a Gaudreau return and especially with an expansion draft looming. What if Rittich takes a massive leap forward next season, so you extend him and then lose Giorgiev to Seattle for squat?

2nd, goalies are voodoo. Whatever he's looked like so far means very little. Jake Allen looked amazing off and on for years, but it took Binnington catching fire out of nowhere for the Blues to actually get Cup quality goaltending for once. The AHL is riddled with goalies who "looked good in the NHL so far" when they were in their early mid 20's.
The AHL is riddled with goalies that have looked good at 75+ games in the NHL before the age of 25? You should probably actually look at the goalies in the AHL before making such a dumb statement.

There is a total of 1 goalie that played in the AHL this year that played 10+ games that has more than 75 career NHL games and 2 that have played more than 50. Both had some good stretches, Hammond with Ottawa had a good season and a decent season when he was 26-27 and played just over 50 games. The other is Corey Schneider who was a very good NHL goalie for 5-6 years and at the age of 24 he had played just 35 games.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #723
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The AHL is riddled with goalies that have looked good at 75+ games in the NHL before the age of 25? You should probably actually look at the goalies in the AHL before making such a dumb statement.

There is a total of 1 goalie that played in the AHL this year that played 10+ games that has more than 75 career NHL games and 2 that have played more than 50. Both had some good stretches, Hammond with Ottawa had a good season and a decent season when he was 26-27 and played just over 50 games. The other is Corey Schneider who was a very good NHL goalie for 5-6 years and at the age of 24 he had played just 35 games.
My point stands. You never know what you're going to get from a goalie so you don't want to trade your biggest offensive weapon in his prime and water down the return with a 24 year old goalie who has looked "ok" in the NHL so far, especially when you might have to lose him to expansion in less than a year.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #724
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
My point stands. You never know what you're going to get from a goalie so you don't want to trade your biggest offensive weapon in his prime and water down the return with a 24 year old goalie who has looked "ok" in the NHL so far, especially when you might have to lose him to expansion in less than a year.
You really worry too much about expansion, accepting a ####tier return because you are scared of losing someone to expansion is ridiculous.

And the only thing your point stands as, is a giant steaming pile of crap. Drafting goalies is voodoo, acquiring young goalies on the verge of becoming a starter really isn't.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:34 PM   #725
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You really worry too much about expansion, accepting a ####tier return because you are scared of losing someone to expansion is ridiculous.

And the only thing your point stands as, is a giant steaming pile of crap. Drafting goalies is voodoo, acquiring young goalies on the verge of becoming a starter really isn't.
lol, are you OK man?

You sure are being aggressive and rude for really no reason.

Lessening the return for Johnny by adding a goalie that is really no better than Rittich (who we signed for nothing) is a terrible idea in my opinion.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 07-04-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #726
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
lol, are you OK man?

You sure are being aggressive and rude for really no reason.

Lessening the return for Johnny by adding a goalie that is really no better than Rittich (who we signed for nothing) is a terrible idea in my opinion.
How was I rude? Calling you on for claiming you were right when you weren't even in the same neighborhood as right?

and in no way is Geogiev lowering the return, he's significantly better than the garbage being suggested instead. And being as good as Rittich while being an age most goalies are still in the AHL, College or Europe at is hardly a knock.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #727
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How was I rude? Calling you on for claiming you were right when you weren't even in the same neighborhood as right?

and in no way is Geogiev lowering the return, he's significantly better than the garbage being suggested instead. And being as good as Rittich while being an age most goalies are still in the AHL, College or Europe at is hardly a knock.
How were you rude? LOL

Whatever, I can't help it if you're overly sensitive and take it personally just because someone has a differing opinion. All I said was that I was surprised anybody would want a goalie as part of a return for Gaudreau (a mediocre one to boot with no eye popping numbers anywhere really) and you seemed to take it pretty personally and lashed out.

Like I said, I have no problem getting Giorgiev some other way, but I'd rather not include him in a Gaudreau return should they trade him.

Also I am definitely right, never mind in the neighborhood of right. Goalies are unpredictable and inconsistent the majority of the time. Trading your best asset for an unproven one is not smart at all, especially when goalies can be acquired in much easier ways, ones with a much better track record than Giorgiev too.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 07-04-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #728
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
How were you rude? LOL

Whatever, I can't help it if you're overly sensitive and take it personally just because someone has a differing opinion. All I said was that I was surprised anybody would want a goalie as part of a return for Gaudreau (a mediocre one to boot with no eye popping numbers anywhere really) and you seemed to take it pretty personally and lashed out.

Like I said, I have no problem getting Giorgiev some other way, but I'd rather not include him in a Gaudreau return should they trade him.
It's hilarious you call me rude, but you are the the one talking about me, when I've only commented on your opinions.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #729
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's hilarious you call me rude, but you are the the one talking about me, when I've only commented on your opinions.
Commented like a petulant child with hurt feelings lol.

If you can't take a differing opinion without lashing out like that maybe you should take a break or something. But I really don't care, you do you. I hadn't seen you post like this in the past though, so I thought maybe you were having a bad day or something.

Doesn't matter, we're done here. Agree to disagree about Giorgiev.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #730
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Commented like a petulant child with hurt feelings lol.

If you can't take a differing opinion without lashing out like that maybe you should take a break or something. But I really don't care, you do you. I hadn't seen you post like this in the past though, so I thought maybe you were having a bad or something.

Doesn't matter, we're done here. Agree to disagree.
There you go again, insulting me and accusing me of lashing out when the worst thing I said was your opinion was a pile of crap. You should probably take some time and look hard at yourself in the mirror before you go around telling others how to behave.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 03:11 PM   #731
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There you go again, insulting me and accusing me of lashing out when the worst thing I said was your opinion was a pile of crap. You should probably take some time and look hard at yourself in the mirror before you go around telling others how to behave.
Haha, actually, the worst thing you said was that we should be happy to include a voodoo mediocre goalie prospect in a Gaudreau trade. A very dumb opinion indeed and painful to read.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 07-04-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:17 PM   #732
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 07-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #733
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I see another conversation with Roof Daddy about goaltenders has turned out swimmingly.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #734
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I see another conversation with Roof Daddy about goaltenders has turned out swimmingly.
Pft. Who needs goalies anyhow?

Binnington vs. Rask
Holtby vs. Fleury
Fleury/Murray vs. Renne
Murray vs. Jones
Crawford vs. Bishop
Quick vs. Lundqvist
Crawford vs. Rask
Quick vs. Brodeur
Thomas vs. Luongo...
Old 07-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #735
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, let's keep Gaudreau
Old 07-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #736
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Uh, I'm sorry, have I done this before and just forgot about it?

EDIT: Maybe you're referencing the Bishop debate from a few years ago...

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 07-04-2020 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:16 PM   #737
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Pft. Who needs goalies anyhow?

Binnington vs. Rask
Holtby vs. Fleury
Fleury/Murray vs. Renne
Murray vs. Jones
Crawford vs. Bishop
Quick vs. Lundqvist
Crawford vs. Rask
Quick vs. Brodeur
Thomas vs. Luongo...
Everybody needs goalies, you just don't need to trade a star player like Gaudreau to get an unproven one.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:35 PM   #738
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Per Eric Duhatschek in the Athletic today, the Flames are "very interested" in acquiring the services of Josh Anderson.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 10:47 PM   #739
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Per Eric Duhatschek in the Athletic today, the Flames are "very interested" in acquiring the services of Josh Anderson.
There were strong rumours at the deadline that some teams were going hard after him even after Columbus shutdown earlier talks due to his injury status.

He’s a perfect “buy low” candidate - even if buying low won’t be that cheap.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:52 PM   #740
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you get the Josh Anderson from 2 and 3 years ago he would be a perfect addition.
Closed Thread