Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #41
hillspeak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have really liked Boyd's play this year. He is not as small as he plays sometimes. Meeting him in past years and then seeing him this year he has really put on some upper body muscle mass.

I was really impressed when he dropped the gloves in Edmonton.

When both Backlund and Boyd are on the ice together they seem to raise each other's talent levels.

Backlund looks a lot better then he did in training camp. A little more confident.

Boyd has also improved his defencesive game this past year and if Boyd and Backlund are paired with a Nystrom or Bourque I wouldn't be worried about them. Especially if Reg or Sarich is manning up the rear.
hillspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #42
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Pretty sure they started playing well together the night before the trades started. You might recall that Boyd and Backlund were on the top line, and the two combined for 4 points that night.
That was the point I was trying to make. They had instant chemistry and performed at a high level. Had the TRADES not happened they likely would have had 5-10 games to see if they are for real.

TRADE1 happens and Backlund is benched. The concensus was that he would be on plane to Abbotsford.

TRADE2 happens and Kotalik and Higgins are brought in and in competion for prime ice-time.

Right now they are a couple of bad games (shifts?) from Backlund being sent down and Boyd being benched if McGratton is needed.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #43
yoyoma
Draft Pick

btw... boyd got dropped to the 4th line. Glencross is replacing him.... as per the FAN960
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #44
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sutter is starting to tick me off.

He waited for 40 games to figure out Iginla and Jokinen were less than the sum of their parts.

Now he hasn't given Boyd and Backlund a chance together since their couple of games where they made more skill plays at a faster speed than we have seen for the rest of the year. Neither have been as good apart.

Not only that they made Iginla and Bourque look better than they had been playing.

Not only that Glencross is a perfect 4th line player.... he worked great with Nystrom and Mayers. His career 20 games came on the fourth line with Brodziaka and Sortini for crying out loud. Glencross is a 4th liner!!

Enough of Lundmark.... he had his 6 good games and now brings down the whole line that he is on. McGratton serves a purpose , Lundmark is an ice time filler.

The lines should be

Nystrom-mayers-Glencross
Boyd Backlund and whoever needs a kick start Give Moss or Dawes a chance.
Langkow- kotalik - higgins
Stajan- Iginla-Hagman
Old 02-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #45
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

geez...

not sure why there is such a love-in for Boyd? I mean nice kid, hard worker...zero finish. This is what, his third year in the bigs? Under 2 coaches?

I hope he turns out to be good, I really do...but those expecting more than a 20 goal season max are going to be in for a massive disappointment...you SEIZE the ice time you get, you prove yourself in practice...

there's been lots of guys like Boyd in our past; Saprykin, Kobasew, Lombardi...guys with talent, but no consistency...

again, I hate to be negative, as this board is on a down tick, understandably, of late...

Backlund, on the other hand, looks promising so far...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #46
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Confidence does amazing things to a player. Shifting lines and linemates does nothing to help that.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #47
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
Confidence does amazing things to a player. Shifting lines and linemates does nothing to help that.
Fair enough.

That being said, this is the same Brent Sutter that coached Dustin Boyd on the 2006 Gold medal Jr. team; its not like he doesn't know Boyd and his ability...

At the end of the day, you play to win the game; if Brent Sutter is unable to recognize and utilize the talent he has on the team, and even worse, does not use them to maximize their talents and as a result, increasing Calgary's ability to win games...Well, then he should be fired.

or, the other explanation: Boyd is a solid player but his ceiling is much less than what many here believe it to be...
Old 02-10-2010, 12:44 AM   #48
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

20/20 is definitely something the kid can accomplish with a little ice time.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #49
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be thrilled for Boyd to be in the 40 point range.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:59 AM   #50
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Boyd-Backlund have only played against the weaker teams (Carolina and Edmonton) so far- I like what they are doing, but can they do it against the better teams in the West?
Carolina a weaker team?

I sir don't think so, they're on shape at the moment, weak? no way hoze.
vilzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:10 AM   #51
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

The lines should be

Nystrom-mayers-Glencross
Boyd Backlund and whoever needs a kick start Give Moss or Dawes a chance.
Langkow- kotalik - higgins
Stajan- Iginla-Hagman
I think you meant Boyd - Backlund - Bourque

Forget Moss and Dawes.
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #52
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post
I think you meant Boyd - Backlund - Bourque

Forget Moss and Dawes.
Bourque is ideal but not available for a while.... Moss might be out for a while as well...

I would like Boyd and Backlund back together.... even with McGratton and with extra shifted Iginla, Kotalik and Hagman when McGratton is gone for 7 minutes. I would even put Glencross with them and call it the 4th line.

Tags
backlund , boyd , chemistry , lines