Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #21
edslunch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Boyd-Backlund have only played against the weaker teams (Carolina and Edmonton) so far- I like what they are doing, but can they do it against the better teams in the West?
Backlund played great against Phoenix, don't remember if he was playing with Boyd.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #22
sa226
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Well the bicycling in the hills of Kelowna lets Iginla be one of the top conditioned athletic in the world and positioned him for a hall of Fame career so it can't hurt the kids.

The next wiki down in the search is exactly what I meant:

Critical mass is a sociodynamic term to describe the existence of sufficient momentum in a social system such that the momentum becomes self-sustaining and fuels further growth.

Would have been too long of a thread title

haha yah I figured thats what you meant, just being a cheeky bugger.

I don't think Boyd is really playing differently than he has all year, he is just getting some more opportunities.

Backlund however is leaps and bounds ahead of where he was in the preseason, I think his confidence is running high and as long as he keeps getting ice time in the right situations he should be just fine. Though If he gets stapled to the bench or demoted for poor play I worry about his short term confidence.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #23
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
They are different players than we had before. They play a skilled game and try to score on the rush. They aren't built to cycle the puck.
Slightly tangential to your point, but I'll add that they're not scared or averse to cycling by the boards. What I have noticed, however, is that the two of them (especially Backlund so far) are much more apt to take a shot at the first opportunity*.

With some of the other guys (especially Iginla / Conroy / Glencross / Langkow), they continue the cycle until they have the near perfect shot. That results in some frustrating shifts where they have extended pressure in the zone, but it's all in the corner and they never pull the trigger (and therefore eventually lose the puck).

* This takes for granted that during this year, Bourque has probably been the Flame most willing to shoot coming out of the cycle.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #24
Mars
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Critical mass is a sociodynamic term to describe the existence of sufficient momentum in a social system such that the momentum becomes self-sustaining and fuels further growth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A critical mass is the smallest amount of fissile material needed for a sustained nuclear chain reaction.
that seems dangerous. maybe we should only play them together for road games?
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #25
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Boyd must be doing something right. I notice him on the ice alot more this season. He has been carrying the puck more for sure.

Backlund is just talented....hopefully he stays and surprises us..

Last edited by mikey_the_redneck; 02-05-2010 at 12:06 PM.
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #26
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What I like about Backlund is his quick wrister. He takes no time to set it up, he pulls the puck out and just lets it fly at the net (example: the shot where he struck Boyd in the face, he pulled it out of a scrum at the boards, turned around and let it fly.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #27
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggysback05 View Post
I really want to love Dustin Boyd but he drives me nuts. The guy can't put a puck in the ocean. See that tap-in he missed on Wednesday? C'mon man!
See those two goals against Edmonton?

He's got good finishing ability around the net, he just hasn't been placed in a position to succeed enough to get the confidence rolling, until now that is....
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #28
Swede
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default backs

Quote:
What I like about Backlund is his quick wrister. He takes no time to set it up, he pulls the puck out and just lets it fly at the net (example: the shot where he struck Boyd in the face, he pulled it out of a scrum at the boards, turned around and let it fly.

One example of backlunds sick wristshos in the link below, at 1:52. He also has a nice slapshot at 5.22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfPistx_FLU
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #29
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

I would put them with Kotalik on the PP, there's a guy who likes to shoot and Boyd/Backlund can give him quality scoring opportunities.
cannon7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #30
SkunkyJosh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Slightly off-topic, would it be safe to get a Backlund jersey now that Phaneuf is gone or we better wait until next season because we never know what to expect from Sutter?
SkunkyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #31
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkyJosh View Post
Slightly off-topic, would it be safe to get a Backlund jersey now that Phaneuf is gone or we better wait until next season because we never know what to expect from Sutter?
He'll probably change his number next year. I'd wait.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #32
hzivot11
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
I have to disagree a little here. I think Boyd and Backlund fit much better on what I consider the 2nd line with Bourque. Bourque is more of a crash and bang guy than Iginla (although i admit he needs to get back to this style more consistently). With Bourque working the corners and creating space, Boyd and Backlund should be able to find some time to work some magic.

Iginla has always played most successfully with Conroy in his prime. All this talk of finding Iggy a true #1 center and still his best days were with Conroy IMO. Stajan fits that mould of what Conroy was in 02-06, and I think they will find chemestry and will work out just fine. I'm not sure about Hagman on that line yet but in theory he should be able to use his speed alla Mccamond and the line suddenly seems to resemble the line from before the lockout.

I like it.
You summed everything up perfectly. Stajan reminds me a lot of a younger Conroy too. Those are the types of guys Iginla plays best with. Someone who will grind a little bit, who backchecks, and who has some passing ability.

Also, I think Bourque is perfect with the Boyd/Backlund combo, because he's going to be able to cycle that puck really well and allow Boyd and Backlund to utilize their skill.
hzivot11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hzivot11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #33
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
What I like about Backlund is his quick wrister.
There's lot's of things about Backlund I like. The thing I like most is everygame he's played while I was watching I'd see open ice in the O-zone and I'd say "someone go there" and boom Backlund would be there. His wrister (which he can release in full flight) is likewise excellent.

Although let's be realistic for a moment and note that the Boyd - Backlund - X grouping has had some pretty favorable circumstances while on the ice (noteably more offensive and more neutral zone draws then defensive zone draws).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #34
doozwimp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not that there are any guarantees, but Backlund is probably one of the safer jersey bets other than the #
doozwimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #35
Swede
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default #

Quote:
He'll probably change his number next year. I'd wait.
Backs likes the #60 and due to the number he had in sweden and loves is taken in calgary he will prob try keep 60, believes its uniqe. Not sure though if calgary let him keep it since no one really has high numbers in flames
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #36
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Exactly, aside from looking half-decent with Backlund, watching the kid play is an exercise in frustration.

You're younger than he is.
amorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #37
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't want to over estimate the importance of this... but these two are lighting it up in my NHL 10...
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #38
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
The triple B line looks real good I think.
Hope they stay together as the Killer B's
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #39
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

An article on Backlund from the Flames site this afternoon:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=516443

Quote:
"I'm really happy to be here," Backlund told CalgaryFlames.com. "It's been really good so far, I'm playing with some really good players. I really enjoy it and hope to stay here for a long time."
Quote:
Sutter said that he was able to deal Jokinen to the Rangers because of the emergence of Backlund, something the rookie was beaming about when asked about the amount of trust the coaching staff and administration has in him.

"I'm happy to hear that, it's good news for me," he smiled. "I'm really happy. I'm enjoying my time up here and want to stay as long as I can, hopefully for a long period. I really like playing up here and I'm happy to be given the opportunity to play."

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #40
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is ironic that their good play together comes just when the Flames add 4 more highly skilled forwards. Had the TRADES (not hollering just indicating big trades) not happened the Flames would be depending on them to deliver.... now they had better keep up their great play or their ice time will disappear.
Pretty sure they started playing well together the night before the trades started. You might recall that Boyd and Backlund were on the top line, and the two combined for 4 points that night.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlund , boyd , chemistry , lines