Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Do Backlund and Boyd provide critical mass for a successful line?

When Boyd has been on the ice with Backlund they have looked great. They are both making skilled plays at top speed.

They have been successful with both Iginla and Bourque at their linemate. With Iginla that almost guarantees that they were up against the best d-pairing on the opposition.

Last year Moss and Glencross provided critical mass for a successful 3rd line. It didn't matter who their centre was the line was very consistent in a positive way.

If Backlund and Boyd are not just having a Lundmarkish spin in the spotlight it would make the Flames significantly better.

It is ironic that their good play together comes just when the Flames add 4 more highly skilled forwards. Had the TRADES (not hollering just indicating big trades) not happened the Flames would be depending on them to deliver.... now they had better keep up their great play or their ice time will disappear.

Last edited by ricardodw; 02-05-2010 at 09:41 AM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously Critical not citical... how can I change?
Old 02-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Omfg you spelled something wrong?!?!?!?

Edit post -> Go Advanced

Last edited by Swayze11; 02-05-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They are different players than we had before. They play a skilled game and try to score on the rush. They aren't built to cycle the puck. They both pass and have pretty decent wrist shots. Their success will come from their ability to dangle defensemen and out thinking the opposition instead of just out grinding them.

It's why we are all so impressed. They are two players that we haven't had on the team in a looping time.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremywilhelm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Omfg you spelt something wrong?!?!?!?

Edit post -> Go Advanced
I have seen what the grammar / spelting police do when there is blood in the water
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

On a serious note... I have really enjoyed the way they have been playing. I am taking into account that they played the oilers and canes but I think by gaining some chemistry against these weak teams, it might result in some nice confidence. Boyd still needs to work on his balance, he gets knocked around way to easily but hopefully that will come with time.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You spelled spelling wrong. Spelting?!??! You stupid head.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jeremywilhelm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

When we made the TRADES, I was worried Backlund would be hidden back in the minors, and Boyd would go back to playing with McGrattan and Nystrom.

For what it's worth, Backlund deserves to be on the team- before Stajan got here, he was the only guy who could win a faceoff, and that is a big deal on this team this year.

Boyd and Backlund deserve to play with Iginla- that way Stajan/Hagman/Higgins/Bourque/Langkow/etc can make up some solid 2 and 3 lines. If 1st line with the kids gets going, this could actually be a scary team. Then we'd truly have 4 good lines. Alas, wishful thinking.

Go Boyd/Backlund!!
Old 02-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Oh a serious note... I have really enjoyed the way they have been playing. I am taking into account that they played the oilers and canes but I think by gaining some chemistry against these weak teams might result in some nice confidence. Boyd still needs to work on his balance, he gets knocked around way to easily but hopefully that will come with time.
Even without Backlund , Boyd has been a lot more solid this year compared to last. In the playoffs against Chicago Burish, Eager or Brouwer (pick one) was caught on TV ribbing Boyd that he had better hit the weight room.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
When we made the TRADES, I was worried Backlund would be hidden back in the minors, and Boyd would go back to playing with McGrattan and Nystrom.

For what it's worth, Backlund deserves to be on the team- before Stajan got here, he was the only guy who could win a faceoff, and that is a big deal on this team this year.

Boyd and Backlund deserve to play with Iginla- that way Stajan/Hagman/Higgins/Bourque/Langkow/etc can make up some solid 2 and 3 lines. If 1st line with the kids gets going, this could actually be a scary team. Then we'd truly have 4 good lines. Alas, wishful thinking.

Go Boyd/Backlund!!
I have to disagree a little here. I think Boyd and Backlund fit much better on what I consider the 2nd line with Bourque. Bourque is more of a crash and bang guy than Iginla (although i admit he needs to get back to this style more consistently). With Bourque working the corners and creating space, Boyd and Backlund should be able to find some time to work some magic.

Iginla has always played most successfully with Conroy in his prime. All this talk of finding Iggy a true #1 center and still his best days were with Conroy IMO. Stajan fits that mould of what Conroy was in 02-06, and I think they will find chemestry and will work out just fine. I'm not sure about Hagman on that line yet but in theory he should be able to use his speed alla Mccamond and the line suddenly seems to resemble the line from before the lockout.

I like it.
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HitterD For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
I agree, I thought Backlund & Lundkmark would be sent back to AHL right away when the 6 new forwards were acquired.

Hopefully Backlund can stick around until the Olympic break, then send him down for a couple of weeks.

Hopefully he gets called up when the NHL Schedule ressumes in March.

Of course for that to happen, Sutter will need to move a couple of forwards. As I bet Moss and Dawes will come off the IR right after the break.

As for Conroy, I remember hearing Maher saying he was out at least a month...
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really want to love Dustin Boyd but he drives me nuts. The guy can't put a puck in the ocean. See that tap-in he missed on Wednesday? C'mon man!
Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

The triple B line looks real good I think. Iginla with Stajan could provide something special, that was a real nice goal on Wednesday! This could be a team that gets it going, especially with a break the boys will probably spend some time together. I think we have the tools to make a serious run as a dark horse team. I am not putting my red colour glasses on, but this just feels like one of those teams of guys no one wanted to guys looking to prove themselves that puts it together and makes a push!
PegCityFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggysback05 View Post
I really want to love Dustin Boyd but he drives me nuts. The guy can't put a puck in the ocean. See that tap-in he missed on Wednesday? C'mon man!

Exactly, aside from looking half-decent with Backlund, watching the kid play is an exercise in frustration.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like this movement on B. Sutter's part to have Backlund here. I think he sees it as a necessity to have some youth in the lineup, and there's no one prospect better to step in and do that right now for Calgary than Backlund.

Something tells me that with all these new wingers, and a general focus on higher-end offensive skill, we'll get to see some creativity rolled out. I think Sutter takes off the leash a little bit, and gives them some room to make the offense happen.

I also think one of Moss or Dawes should be moved for a pick. With Sutter / Jaffray / Lundmark / Van der Gulik able to step in when needed, I don't see how Moss or Dawes are both needed at this current point in time.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #16
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Boyd-Backlund have only played against the weaker teams (Carolina and Edmonton) so far- I like what they are doing, but can they do it against the better teams in the West?
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #17
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggysback05 View Post
Agreed, hes our new Lombardi. Great speed, great moves, no finish.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #18
sa226
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not gonna lie I had to Google Critical Mass, and going with the first Wiki that came up:

No I don't believe Backlund and Boyd participating in a Cycling event will help them as a line or the team for that matter.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #19
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boyd has been great. I dont get frustrated watching a player put in constant effort. Hes one of the more creative guys on the team and its a shame he's been stuck in the bottom 6 of our foward group. Given the right opportunity hes going to excel and be a good 20 goal scorer.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I'm not gonna lie I had to Google Critical Mass, and going with the first Wiki that came up:

No I don't believe Backlund and Boyd participating in a Cycling event will help them as a line or the team for that matter.
Well the bicycling in the hills of Kelowna lets Iginla be one of the top conditioned athletic in the world and positioned him for a hall of Fame career so it can't hurt the kids.

The next wiki down in the search is exactly what I meant:

Critical mass is a sociodynamic term to describe the existence of sufficient momentum in a social system such that the momentum becomes self-sustaining and fuels further growth.

Would have been too long of a thread title

Tags
backlund , boyd , chemistry , lines