Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #21
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Gio he doesn’t have to stay at home as much so he can drive the lane but hopefully he’s practicing his defensive driving as well as his utilization of the passing lanes.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #22
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should just get an AirBNB in Toronto, gotta question Brodie's hockey IQ here
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #23
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
In GG's defence, Hamilton was useless (and probably complaining) when he wasn't paired with Gio.
Okay. This is an extreme statement. What evidence do you have to support this statement?

Cumulative Numbers from the Three Seasons between 2015-2016 to 2017-2018: Dougie Hamilton without Mark Giordano vs Mark Giordano without Dougie Hamilton

CF%: 51.33% vs 50.11%
FF%: 50.06% vs 50.69%
SF%: 51.00% vs 50.63%
SC%: 50.18% vs 49.67%
HDSC%: 48.86% vs 48.61%

Over three years, Dougie Hamilton was better at controlling shot attempts, shots, scoring chances and high danger scoring chances without Mark Giordano than Mark Giordano was without Dougie Hamilton. Simultaneously, Mark Giordano was better at controlling unblocked shot attempts without Dougie Hamilton than Dougie Hamilton was without Mark Giordano.

Why do people insist we must put Dougie Hamilton down constantly? Dougie Hamilton had weaknesses: taking penalties, drawing penalties, zone exits, preventing zone entries and break-ups. And yet (!), the A3Z charts show that Dougie Hamilton is top percentile in controlling shots. He obviously has significant strengths.

If he was a cancer in the room, that is another matter altogether. But I just do not agree with these statements that Dougie Hamilton is useless without Mark Giordano because I don't think the data suggests they are true. I'm not saying Dougie Hamilton is better than Mark Giordano (Mark Giordano is my favourite Flame). I don't think I am smart enough to take in all the data and make a decision on a matter so complex.

Also, I am very excited to hear that Giordano and Brodie are going to be paired together again. Additionally, I think Hanifin is going to be awesome.

Source: Natural Stat Trick's Line Tool
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 11:38 PM   #24
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Okay. This is an extreme statement. What evidence do you have to support this statement?

Cumulative Numbers from the Three Seasons between 2015-2016 to 2017-2018: Dougie Hamilton without Mark Giordano vs Mark Giordano without Dougie Hamilton

CF%: 51.33% vs 50.11%
FF%: 50.06% vs 50.69%
SF%: 51.00% vs 50.63%
SC%: 50.18% vs 49.67%
HDSC%: 48.86% vs 48.61%

Over three years, Dougie Hamilton was better at controlling shot attempts, shots, scoring chances and high danger scoring chances without Mark Giordano than Mark Giordano was without Dougie Hamilton. Simultaneously, Mark Giordano was better at controlling unblocked shot attempts without Dougie Hamilton than Dougie Hamilton was without Mark Giordano.

Why do people insist we must put Dougie Hamilton down constantly? Dougie Hamilton had weaknesses: taking penalties, drawing penalties, zone exits, preventing zone entries and break-ups. And yet (!), the A3Z charts show that Dougie Hamilton is top percentile in controlling shots. He obviously has significant strengths.

If he was a cancer in the room, that is another matter altogether. But I just do not agree with these statements that Dougie Hamilton is useless without Mark Giordano because I don't think the data suggests they are true. I'm not saying Dougie Hamilton is better than Mark Giordano (Mark Giordano is my favourite Flame). I don't think I am smart enough to take in all the data and make a decision on a matter so complex.

Also, I am very excited to hear that Giordano and Brodie are going to be paired together again. Additionally, I think Hanifin is going to be awesome.

Source: Natural Stat Trick's Line Tool
Who cares if he took more shots than the other team. When Hamilton was the anchor on a pairing I had zero faith in the pairing. There was a few times where he was getting 14 minutes and I thought it was too much.

But when he had Gio covering his mistakes he looked like an animal. Pretty easy to see why people think that.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 12:49 AM   #25
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love grilled Kulamaki
Old 08-28-2018, 12:50 AM   #26
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
  1. Brodano
  2. Hamofin
  3. Stonak
At some point this season, we might get to see Stondersson or Kulamaki.

1. Brodano
2. Hanific
3. Kylingstone

I still think that Kylington has the highest ceiling of the bunch because of his wheels and with Stone they could complement each other similarly as Brodano pairing. He needs to have a strong camp but his chances to make the team are IMHO pretty good.
playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to playmaker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 01:37 AM   #27
tfi racing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I doubt that he would be doing that drive more than a few times,one of the most boring stretches of highway (can also be especially lethal, due to the boredom-drivers regularly fall asleep) in North America...
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tfi racing For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 07:01 AM   #28
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Amen.

So angry Gulutzan robbed us of this beautiful pairing.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 07:09 AM   #29
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Clearly they have never heard of diamond rio
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:30 AM   #30
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Hanimonic

Kuldersson

Andermaki

Novis
Old 08-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #31
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Who cares if he took more shots than the other team. When Hamilton was the anchor on a pairing I had zero faith in the pairing. There was a few times where he was getting 14 minutes and I thought it was too much.

But when he had Gio covering his mistakes he looked like an animal. Pretty easy to see why people think that.

The reason scoring chances, shots, and shot attempts are important to me is that they indicate the Flames were in the other team’s end. If your team is in the other team’s defensive zone more than they are in your defensive zone.

Why are you so confident in basing your opinion on how you remember feeling in the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 seasons?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #32
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker View Post
1. Brodano
2. Hanific
3. Kylingstone

I still think that Kylington has the highest ceiling of the bunch because of his wheels and with Stone they could complement each other similarly as Brodano pairing. He needs to have a strong camp but his chances to make the team are IMHO pretty good.
Kylington has a great name for matching as well. However I'm not sure where the "shh" sound comes from.

Kyl-Stone. I think rhymes with Flintstone, kind of reminds me of Sylvester Stallone. There's something there.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:38 AM   #33
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The reason scoring chances, shots, and shot attempts are important to me is that they indicate the Flames were in the other team’s end. If your team is in the other team’s defensive zone more than they are in your defensive zone.

Why are you so confident in basing your opinion on how you remember feeling in the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 seasons?
Just pure fear, only other players I got that feeling from was Wideman and Bartkowski. Even when Brodie was playing terrible. They seemed like mistakes that he immediately regretted. With Hamilton, it just seemed like a giant lack of awareness.

For 80-90% of the game, yes you are probably right where Hamilton makes very efficient plays and he moves the puck up the ice very well. But what about those rarer more dangerous situations that might only happen 3 or 4 times a game. Do I trust him to win the puck battle, do I trust him to tie up and block the cross ice pass, do I trust him to make the diving block when a guy sneaks behind him. And no I don't.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #34
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

I'm with you 100%, the stats are the stats and they can't be justified away. If you're not getting shot attempts against when you're on the ice you're doing something right.

The eye test between the two was never the same for me though. It sent me digging to try and figure out what it was, but Giordano seemed more in the guts of the game than Hamilton almost at all times save for the rush or walking the line with the puck.

Can I prove that? No and I agree I don't want to keep trying in an attempt to discredit a player, but I was doing the same when he was here with the Ricardo attacks on Hamilton.

The data doesn't exist to show that "hole" yet the hole was there to be seen, or at least I had a bias that had me seeing Hamilton as doing less defensively than Giordano when they were a pairing.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #35
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Should just get an AirBNB in Toronto, gotta question Brodie's hockey IQ here
Probably wanting to spend time with his wife who was diagnosed with MS:
https://globalnews.ca/news/3130450/f...ing-ms-on-ice/
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:21 AM   #36
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m quite sure that it was a joke
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #37
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It would be more impressive if he was running 6 hours tk skate with gio.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:41 AM   #38
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I’d almost be okay with the Flames trading Kylington at this point, because my brain refuses to read it as it is pronounced.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #39
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm with you 100%, the stats are the stats and they can't be justified away. If you're not getting shot attempts against when you're on the ice you're doing something right.

The eye test between the two was never the same for me though. It sent me digging to try and figure out what it was, but Giordano seemed more in the guts of the game than Hamilton almost at all times save for the rush or walking the line with the puck.

Can I prove that? No and I agree I don't want to keep trying in an attempt to discredit a player, but I was doing the same when he was here with the Ricardo attacks on Hamilton.

The data doesn't exist to show that "hole" yet the hole was there to be seen, or at least I had a bias that had me seeing Hamilton as doing less defensively than Giordano when they were a pairing.
For me, I think that fear came from some of Hamilton's weaknesses in the defensive zone. According to those beautiful A3Z charts, Hamilton is 49th percentile in possession zone exits, 38th percentile in breakups and 29th percentile in percentage of possession entries allowed. For me, I get what these people are saying because Hamilton could be too passive in getting the puck out, breaking up the cycle and allowed possession entries. I just dislike those extreme opinions where Hamilton is "useless" without Giordano. The numbers simply do not back that up. I think it is true, however, that Giordano and Hamilton's strengths compliment each other and, together, they become an elite pair.

I also think Giordano and Brodie compliment one another though. For example, Brodie has great results with respect to possession entries whereas Giordano's results are poor. One area that concerns me about Brodano is possession entries allowed because both Giordano and Brodie are bad at them. That said, you could have said the same thing about Giordano and Hamilton.

Bingo, you are a pretty knowledgeable guy. Can you explain to me why Hamilton is 66th percentile in possession entries allowed per 60 and 29th percentile in percentage of possession entries allowed? Why is there a disconnect?
Old 08-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #40
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bill Peters: But why...?
*slots Hanifin in with Gio*

CP explodes