Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 08-28-2018, 03:38 PM   #81
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Tkachuk is my guy and certainly captain potential but I still think Monahan has been groomed to be captain since day 1...although I would prefer our next captain to have some more grit a la Tkachuk tho
To me, Tkachuk is going to be a Perry/Marchand type player. Not really suited to be captain while Monahan is more the Getzlaf/Bergeron/Toews type. I think you want the cool head to wear the C and let the Sh*t disturber just do his thing.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #82
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, obviously there's a prestige that comes with the captaincy and certainly a role in the lockerroom, but the main role on the ice is to talk to the officials. There's certainly a school of thought that you wouldn't want someone who pisses off the ref to be pleading your case all the time ha.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 04:33 PM   #83
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Peters is an unknown to me. I can't say if he's going to be really good coach or a bad coach but I do feel like he will be better than the guy he's replacing even if that's a low bar. Season is approaching fast so we will get an idea soon.
He seems fine.

Everything in the goaltending department went absolutely sideways for him in Carolina between Lack and Darling it was interesting. Watched a couple og Canes games. There were multiple games in a row the couldn't stop the simplist light wrist shots. Think Dan Cloutier level .... ouch.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #84
darthma
Scoring Winger

Location: Down by the sea, where the watermelons grow, back to my home, I dare not go...
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
He seems fine.

Everything in the goaltending department went absolutely sideways for him in Carolina between Lack and Darling it was interesting. Watched a couple og Canes games. There were multiple games in a row the couldn't stop the simplist light wrist shots. Think Dan Cloutier level .... ouch.
darthma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #85
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The last three years the Hurricane's have had the third least, 2nd least, and least spent on NHL player salaries.

That's hard to compete with.

Other teams that can say the same in those three years? None

Only team that can say that in two of the last three years? Arizona.

This is not a list of successful teams or coaches.
Not to mention Darling came in and absolutely sewered any semblance of a season they could have had.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:37 AM   #86
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthma View Post
Thanked for my first chuckle of the day.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #87
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
To me, Tkachuk is going to be a Perry/Marchand type player. Not really suited to be captain while Monahan is more the Getzlaf/Bergeron/Toews type. I think you want the cool head to wear the C and let the Sh*t disturber just do his thing.
I'm so conflicted, as I very much agree... but hope for something more.

We had front-row seats to a gritty, hard-nosed 'I'll run through you to win' captain and I hope for more of that in Tkachuk than Perry/Marchand. He has that 'pest' to his game, but he does it... can you say 'quietly'?.

Most games, you actually have to watch Tkachuk throughout the game to understand why the entire team is going red. Though in rivalries, the subtle nuance is all gone and we're playing flat out (Doughty).

In Perry and Marchand... you see them working on it clear as day and you wonder if the other team will take the bait. The hacking and slashing from Perry, the chirps and sneers from Marchand. It's great when they're on your team, and I'm glad we have one on our side, but I've always kind of hoped for a 'pest' that doesn't have to play dirty to drive you crazy.

I'm not sure if it fits with a Captain just yet, but there's something about how Tkachuk gets under everyone's skin that's different.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #88
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally think the refs already hate Tkachuk for making their lives harder. Probably not the best guy to have as your liaison.

Monahan has been wearing the A since he was what, 19, 20 years old? Clearly possesses leadership qualities.

Boring Sean Monahan is the heir apparent to Mark The Italian Stallion Giordano.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 10:34 AM   #89
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

We had front-row seats to a gritty, hard-nosed 'I'll run through you to win' captain and I hope for more of that in Tkachuk than Perry/Marchand. He has that 'pest' to his game, but he does it... can you say 'quietly'?.

Most games, you actually have to watch Tkachuk throughout the game to understand why the entire team is going red. Though in rivalries, the subtle nuance is all gone and we're playing flat out (Doughty).

In Perry and Marchand... you see them working on it clear as day and you wonder if the other team will take the bait. The hacking and slashing from Perry, the chirps and sneers from Marchand. It's great when they're on your team, and I'm glad we have one on our side, but I've always kind of hoped for a 'pest' that doesn't have to play dirty to drive you crazy.

I'm not sure if it fits with a Captain just yet, but there's something about how Tkachuk gets under everyone's skin that's different.
The Flaming C on his jersey has a lot to do with the perception IMO. I don't think his on ice DB nature is a lot different than Perry/Marchand's normal mode (Marchand has done way worse as far as dangerous stuff though).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 10:59 AM   #90
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

When you are watching the games live, watch Tkachuk behind the play. He is constantly slashing guys in the ankles etc. to rile them up. It doesn't end up in the Sportsnet broadcast because he is off screen. I don't think he's subtle, and I doubt the refs do either. And I think it makes him a great 'non-captain' leader.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:40 AM   #91
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
When you are watching the games live, watch Tkachuk behind the play. He is constantly slashing guys in the ankles etc. to rile them up. It doesn't end up in the Sportsnet broadcast because he is off screen. I don't think he's subtle, and I doubt the refs do either. And I think it makes him a great 'non-captain' leader.
That could very well be it. One of the games I've seen live was against LA, so I expected that then. 97% of the Flames games I've seen are on TV.

And that's likely it, as I've always thought his game really was different. FTR, I wouldn't put the C on Perry or Marchand. I'm actually pretty surprised to hear I'd be in the minority!
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #92
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The Flaming C on his jersey has a lot to do with the perception IMO. I don't think his on ice DB nature is a lot different than Perry/Marchand's normal mode (Marchand has done way worse as far as dangerous stuff though).
No, I'm pretty level-headed when it comes to the logo on the jersey. I may know more about a player, and develop a bigger fondness of a Flames player as a result but I try and keep my bias in consideration as best I can. I might think our 3rd liner is better than your 3rd liner... but it's more likely I don't know anything about your 3rd liner.

There's certainly more 'pest' things we see in Tkachuk than anyone else on the team, but I really thought there was a difference to how Tkachuk and Marchand/Perry went about it.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #93
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

CAn't wait for the season to start so we can start arguing about line combos and goalies and actual hockey instead of whether a pest should wear a letter...
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:43 PM   #94
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

If Dustin Brown can be a captain, Matt Tkachuk can be an alternate.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:09 PM   #95
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

We should use this as leverage. "Hey refs, you better put a stop to the Wideman Effect or Matthew gets an A and then you'll have to listen to him."
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #96
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I agree, I think you’d hurt his game putting a C on Tkachuk.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:48 PM   #97
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’m with the group that doesn’t think he should wear a “C” and that’s no knock on him. The way he plays right now is way to effective and fun to watch. I would hate for his style to change and I think it likely would. Throw an “A” on him though for sure.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:59 PM   #98
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---Hatrick--- View Post
I’m with the group that doesn’t think he should wear a “C” and that’s no knock on him. The way he plays right now is way to effective and fun to watch. I would hate for his style to change and I think it likely would. Throw an “A” on him though for sure.
An A for A$$hole! I like it!

He is quickly becoming my favorite player!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote