Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #1
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Majority of Flames players did not like Hamilton, Brouwer or the coaching staff

Quote:
This probably isn't news but I had a chat with someone really close to the organization who heard everything in the player exit interviews and most players didn't like Brouwer or the coaching staff for awarding Brouwer PP time and sitting more skilled younger players like Bennett and Jankowski. There seemed to be a divide in the room about that and one big talking point was when Brouwer excused the slashes Gaudreau got with "everyone does it".

Was actually relieved to hear I wasn't the only one who had a problem with what Brouwer said. It barely got any media attention.

Gaudreau is a well respected dude in the locker room and majority weren't happy with the way the assistant captain didn't stick up for him.

*not mentioned in player exit interviews but rumblings heard all year

Hamilton wasn't hated by all accounts but he had a hard time fitting in and many mentioned the inclusion of his brother on the team and the 1 way contract as a reason for the dislike for both the players and the management/coaches.

I really don't know what the Flames were thinking picking up his brother and signing him to a 2 year one way contract when better 4th liners were already available. This makes the room uncomfortable.

If there's any questions, I'll do my best to answer.
https://www.reddit.com/r/CalgaryFlam...like_hamilton/

From Adragon23 on reddit - take with a grain of salt but I thought it was interesting to read.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #2
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Already in the Brouwer thread but probably deserves its own.

The Hamilton bits aren't new, we've been hearing it all summer.

But the Brouwer and coaching bits are interesting for sure.

That poster does seem to have a somewhat legit source though, he's called a few thing right in the last few months
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a coincidence. The Flames all hated the people that are gone!

If the players still in the locker room get bent out of shape that easily then I would say they have a pretty weak locker room leadership group.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DropIt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The players aren't stupid, wouldn't surprise me if they got fed up with the Brouwerplay and other Gully mindbottlers.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post

If the players still in the locker room get bent out of shape that easily then I would say they have a pretty weak locker room leadership group.
Coincidence? It was pretty clear to some of us that Hamilton was a problem in the room. I was beating the trade Dougie drum as soon as the season ended and it was not because I thought he was a bad player. I thought he had the value needed to shake up the team and also suspected something was up with him off the ice. The brother thing was a huge reason I suspected as much but also just felt something was off with him in general.

Brouwer it was pretty clear that he was given favorable treatment but it also seemed like he was not filling his role as leader on the team. Rumors he pouted about being on the 4th line it really felt like Gulutzan was giving him a lot more rope than other players.

As for the coaching staff the response to the stick throw is all I needed to hear. When the stick toss happened initially I was pleased. Even though this team was on a winning streak they were too loose and too lax. When they stumbled out of the bye week it was not surprising. When the players commented on the stick toss giving it a score etc you knew they didn’t have the level of respect a coach should have.

I am hoping improved chemistry and a more stern voice in the room will be enough to get this team to reach their potential which in my opinion should be a team fighting for first in the Pacific
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Well that's what this thread is about isn't it?

One of the supposed leaders was hated by the rest of the team.

They aired their grievances at their exit meetings and changes were made.

What else were they supposed to do? Throw his clothes in the shower?

Last edited by bzoo02; 08-27-2018 at 09:08 AM.
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bzoo02 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Putting aside the fact that we'd be mocking the #### out of Oiler fans if they were posting about how everyone hated the guys who were just run out of town, there is some irony in having the team hate the guy hired to be a players' coach and a player brought in for character. I would speculate that the dislike of Brouwer was most likely to be situational rather than personal, and a consequence of Gulutzan's favourtism.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 08:28 AM   #8
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
one big talking point was when Brouwer excused the slashes Gaudreau got with "everyone does it".
I kind of rolled my eyes when posters on here mentioned this when complaining about Brouwer, but if this is true, good call. I wouldn't have thought this to be a big deal.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #9
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Putting aside the fact that we'd be mocking the #### out of Oiler fans if they were posting about how everyone hated the guys who were just run out of town, there is some irony in having the team hate the guy hired to be a players' coach and a player brought in for character. I would speculate that the dislike of Brouwer was most likely to be situational rather than personal, and a consequence of Gulutzan's favourtism.
Brouwer died for me in season one exit interviews.

I was willing to put some value on character, and give him some credit for a bad season and the hope for a bounce back.

But his media spot after year one didn't own any of it. None. I did what I came here for was the summary ... no speaking to stats, or the fact that he really slid.

That was a caution flag to me.

(apologies for paraphrasing his dated interview)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #10
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

^ True. I had forgotten that interview.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #11
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think your missing the point, exit meetings are there for players to communicate.

Some people think ignoring a problem, or sweeping it under the rug shows strength (..or even a strong locker room in your case). I would argue that a stronger locker room is one where the players communicate shortcomings openly and everyone contributes towards a common goal. Do you see Tkachuk's comments about the perceived selfishness as weak? I think a lot of posters saw his comments as taking ownership and leadership. Players recognize a problem and communicated that at exit meetings. That is how you solve problems, find solutions.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

At the end of the day, maybe this sounds like a bit of a broken record, the team hated Hartley and the Flames fired him and moved on, then the Flames hated GG and the team had to fire him and move on.

I get it with Hartley, behind his charm and quips he sounds like he was a task master, they bought in GG who was supposed to be a players coach and they turned on him.

I mean we can point to management about the coaching decisions and at this point we should.

But I made fun of the Oilers for continually turning on coaches and going into business or themselves and they did it again last year when T-Mac was complaining about the effort levels of his team. So I have to take my shot at this Flames group of players, but at this point there can't be anymore excuses with the whole we hate the coach so we sucked. Its do or die with this group of players now, they can't use the coach as an excuse in my mind.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #13
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
But I made fun of the Oilers for continually turning on coaches and going into business or themselves and they did it again last year when T-Mac was complaining about the effort levels of his team. So I have to take my shot at this Flames group of players, but at this point there can't be anymore excuses with the whole we hate the coach so we sucked. Its do or die with this group of players now, they can't use the coach as an excuse in my mind.
Agree.

I think this is a make or break season with the core of the team. If they falter and miss the playoffs again. We'll see a massive trade next summer.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #14
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
At the end of the day, maybe this sounds like a bit of a broken record, the team hated Hartley and the Flames fired him and moved on, then the Flames hated GG and the team had to fire him and move on.

I get it with Hartley, behind his charm and quips he sounds like he was a task master, they bought in GG who was supposed to be a players coach and they turned on him.

I mean we can point to management about the coaching decisions and at this point we should.

Agree completely.

Loser organizations have GMs for three years and coaches for one or two and just keep on rinsing and repeating.

Treliving is on the cusp of a build and a window with some term that may get him into that Cliff Fletcher range ... needed.

But he has to get the coach right and have a Barry Trotz like run as well.

One can only hope that it wasn't "hate" but "were confused at some roster choices and ice time disparity" with Gulutzan.

I know Treliving hinted that a big issue for him was the differing opinions on the role of leadership for a coach vs a young core, suggesting maybe he was too hands off. If that's the case I doubt there was hate as much as confusion.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #15
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny how the fans saw it, the players saw it, yet the man in charge kept trying to jam the square peg into the round hole.

It was maddening watching GG's player deployment choices, in addition to the "lets stand still" powerplay.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #16
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Funny how the fans saw it, the players saw it, yet the man in charge kept trying to jam the square peg into the round hole.

It was maddening watching GG's player deployment choices, in addition to the "lets stand still" powerplay.
I would love to know a few things from behind the scenes ...

1. How much if any did Treliving push Brouwer on Gulutzan for ice time and role given the dollars and term given the player? This is big to me. If Treliving was all over it then Gulutzan was set up to fail with a poorly signed player.

2. How much if any did Gulutzan attempt to direct or override the failed powerplay? Was that what happened in the second half? Did he just let Cameron sink or swim on it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #17
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I would love to know a few things from behind the scenes ...

1. How much if any did Treliving push Brouwer on Gulutzan for ice time and role given the dollars and term given the player? This is big to me. If Treliving was all over it then Gulutzan was set up to fail with a poorly signed player.

2. How much if any did Gulutzan attempt to direct or override the failed powerplay? Was that what happened in the second half? Did he just let Cameron sink or swim on it?

I have to believe there was no interference. If there was, I think this organization has some deeper problems that start with the GM.

I am of the opinion we have a good GM and GG was a bad coach. FWIW Brad Pascal on the radio the other day said he's not sure if Bill Peters will pair up Gio and Brodie again, but the GM is confident in him no matter the pairings. Might just be platitudes, but to me it sounds like the GM (and AGMs) are not interfering with the coaching.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #18
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Treliving didn't tell GG to have Brouwer take 3 face offs in a row against Buffalo.

Extreme example but the coach clearly had a trust/like of Brouwer.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 09:52 AM   #19
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I have to believe there was no interference. If there was, I think this organization has some deeper problems that start with the GM.

I am of the opinion we have a good GM and GG was a bad coach. FWIW Brad Pascal on the radio the other day said he's not sure if Bill Peters will pair up Gio and Brodie again, but the GM is confident in him no matter the pairings. Might just be platitudes, but to me it sounds like the GM (and AGMs) are not interfering with the coaching.
I don't actually think Gulutzan was that terrible a coach. I think he's a great technical assistant, that may not have the overall game management skills and "presence" to be a head coach.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 09:53 AM   #20
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder how tied Burke and Brouwer were.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote