Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #61
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I didn't collect the cards all that much, but I do remember trying to finish off those sticker books in the early 80s.

Should have collected the cards.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #62
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
I never collected hockey cards. I did have some fun with Esso power play back in the day.
But if I had collected them I’m sure they would have been lost or discarded with the rest of my stuff I had as a kid.
You mean this?

Old 08-26-2018, 03:14 PM   #63
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a pretty cool #24 Jarome Iginla rookie card. For some reason he's wearing jeans and a practice jersey with skates on in the photo.

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #64
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfTheFlame View Post
I have a pretty cool #24 Jarome Iginla rookie card. For some reason he's wearing jeans and a practice jersey with skates on in the photo.
The one where he's holding his skate and is labelled "Star Rookie?

Not his rookie card.
Dick of Dick's Collectibles charged me a mint for this card when I was a young teen, talking about how good he was going to be and how he was taking a loss on the transaction.

A little research with the guides later on revealed how much I'd been ripped off haha
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #65
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
The one where he's holding his skate and is labelled "Star Rookie?

Not his rookie card.
Dick of Dick's Collectibles charged me a mint for this card when I was a young teen, talking about how good he was going to be and how he was taking a loss on the transaction.

A little research with the guides later on revealed how much I'd been ripped off haha
Sounds like the guy was a dick. I got scammed a few times in the 90's from jackboots like that
Old 08-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #66
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by カナダ人です View Post
When I was young Beckett told me this one was worth quite a bit, so I definitely took care of it!

When that one came out I had my dad drive me down to the card shop near Bowness by the Taco Bell. I paid 15 bucks for it
I really missing collecting cards
Nothing better than buying a pack and seeing what you got
Fun hobby
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2018, 11:17 PM   #67
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kept all my old hockey cards. Definitely some cool ones in there, including a few rookie cards, complete WHA sets and a few really old ones. As a kid I had an Eddie Shack lunch box. "Clear the track for Eddie Shack". So I am kind of partial to the one Eddie Shack card I have.

I gave all the cards to my son and asked him to hold onto them and pass them on one day. I still get get him a few packs for Christmas every year so we can open them together. Now that I think about it, that might be a present for myself.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #68
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
When that one came out I had my dad drive me down to the card shop near Bowness by the Taco Bell. I paid 15 bucks for it
I really missing collecting cards
Nothing better than buying a pack and seeing what you got
Fun hobby
I remember trading a shoe box full of cards for that Lindros, man, did I get fleeced as I'm sure I had some gems in it (Brett Hull rookie card comes to mind). I also made the stupid decision of trading all of my X-Men/New Mutant/X-Factor comics for a binder full of baseball cards that included rookie cards for McGwire, Sosa and Griffey Jr, probably all worthless now.

As a kid, my friend and I used to draw wangs on our Gretzky cards, then into the bike spokes they went, I can't even fathom how much money we threw away there!
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #69
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I would imagine CP poster habernac would love to have that card.
I've got a couple autographed by him, one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

My most prized are my Dryden and Lafleur rookies. I'm not old enough to have bought them new, got Guy's when I was about 20 and received the Dryden as a gift later on.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #70
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

For hockey, it's probably the Paul Coffey and Jaromir Jagr rookie cards. The Coffey is o'pee chee, and both the score and upper deck Jagr.

I have a crazy set of baseball cards from. My grandfather. They were found in cigar boxes and are made of felt. Not sure of their value, but were from somewhere around the second world War, I imagine.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #71
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by カナダ人です View Post
When I was young Beckett told me this one was worth quite a bit, so I definitely took care of it!

This is the American one. The Canadian used to be worth more. I think they're both worth the same now (next to nothing).
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #72
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I have a crazy set of baseball cards from. My grandfather. They were found in cigar boxes and are made of felt. Not sure of their value, but were from somewhere around the second world War, I imagine.
Need pics!

I have a couple of T206 Baseball Cards from the famed cigarette series issued from 1909 to 1911 (the same one as Honus Wagner). They are two of my favorites simply because someone over a hundred years ago cracked open a pack of cigarettes and pulled the same card that is now in my collection... the fact that they are worn and creased only adds to their character
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:21 PM   #73
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My sons
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote