Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon45 Hayley Wickenheiser signed as assistant of player dev. For TML

Pretty cool for her and I think it’s an awesome story!

Linkage
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Pretty cool for her and I think it’s an awesome story!

Linkage
I hope she'll be good at it.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm kinda surprised she was available and Hockey Canada didn't snap her up.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought she was going to medical school? Interesting.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is good to see her part of an NHL organization.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I'm kinda surprised she was available and Hockey Canada didn't snap her up.
I am betting that she had her choice between HC and the NHL and chose the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am betting that she had her choice between HC and the NHL and chose the latter.
Which is odd because Hockey Canada is based in Calgary (where she lives) as opposed to having to move to the Big Smoke....granted, like we can talk at this point.

Good luck to her though, I hope she performs her duties exceptionally well and that the Toronto Maple Leafs continue to suck hard regardless of her efforts.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #8
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
I thought she was going to medical school? Interesting.
Yeah she was accepted to U of C med. I'm guessing she has deferred her entry.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

My dad taught her in a chemistry class many years back, he said Hayley was a model student. Very happy to learn she has an opportunity in an NHL organization.

Even if its the damn Leafs. Oh well.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best of luck to her, she really has been a great ambassador for the game, not just in female hockey but in general. IIRC her son graduated high school this year which may have been a factor in her decision to leave Calgary (assuming she is moving).
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #11
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Which is odd because Hockey Canada is based in Calgary (where she lives) as opposed to having to move to the Big Smoke....granted, like we can talk at this point.
I don't think location matters much. Player Development means travelling to where the organization's players are.

The Flames' Director of Player Development, Ray Edwards, is based in Maine.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #12
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see a lot of negative feedback elsewhere that she was a good female player but not talented enough skill wise to teach player development for a NHL team. For example the Women's Olympic team play against Midget AAA teams in Alberta and maybe win half their games. I practiced with her when I played university and she would never make those teams. Nice girl and inspiring story but she wasn't CIS talent.

Good on Leafs to see beyond that and give her a chance. Some of my best coaches and teachers in hockey over the years never played at high levels. I think that's what matters with these roles. Nice to have former NHL players in these roles but not always necessary.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
I see a lot of negative feedback elsewhere that she was a good female player but not talented enough skill wise to teach player development for a NHL team. For example the Women's Olympic team play against Midget AAA teams in Alberta and maybe win half their games. I practiced with her when I played university and she would never make those teams. Nice girl and inspiring story but she wasn't CIS talent.

Good on Leafs to see beyond that and give her a chance. Some of my best coaches and teachers in hockey over the years never played at high levels. I think that's what matters with these roles. Nice to have former NHL players in these roles but not always necessary.
While this is true, I dont think its particularly relevant to this.

First of all, a lot of successful NHL coaches were marginal players, they became excellent coaches because they couldnt just rely on their skill, they had to learn the game.

The same is true of Wickenheiser and women's hockey, she is probably more in tune with slight nuances and small things that can make a big difference or give a player an edge because she couldnt just out-muscle her opponents.

I think thats really the major benefit, you've got a player that made a habit of finding the edges, getting the breaks and making that space for themselves without relying on brute strength.

It offers a different perspective.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
While this is true, I dont think its particularly relevant to this.

First of all, a lot of successful NHL coaches were marginal players, they became excellent coaches because they couldnt just rely on their skill, they had to learn the game.

The same is true of Wickenheiser and women's hockey, she is probably more in tune with slight nuances and small things that can make a big difference or give a player an edge because she couldnt just out-muscle her opponents.

I think thats really the major benefit, you've got a player that made a habit of finding the edges, getting the breaks and making that space for themselves without relying on brute strength.

It offers a different perspective.
TBF, Wickenheiser was usually bigger, stronger and faster than her opponents.

Really, none of us know how good she is at coaching, player development, etc. Whenever I heard her interviews, she didn't strike me as a student of the game but those were isolated instances.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #15
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks for your perspective, and I don't mean to be a dick when I ask this, but what higher level is there in women's hockey than captaining the Canadian Olympic team?

How many, if any, female hockey players could play Men's CIS Hockey?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #16
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think most directors of player development actually do any real skill development with the players.

I think they basically are just responsible for passing information between prospects and the team in most cases.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #17
Gallick
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I could have sworn this was announced months ago. Didn't realize she was just a "guest coach" at Leafs rookie camp. Wickenheiser is an absolute legend and I would kill to have her in our front office. I don't care if she might not have been as good of a player as some of the kids she's now in charge of developing, she is more decorated than literally any male hockey player in history.
Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:42 AM   #18
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Could this be the first step in her eventual destiny to be the first female head coach of a Stanley Cup champion?
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:53 AM   #19
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey connor, it's mess View Post
i thought she was going to medical school? Interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
best of luck to her, she really has been a great ambassador for the game, not just in female hockey but in general. Iirc her son graduated high school this year which may have been a factor in her decision to leave calgary (assuming she is moving).

https://twitter.com/user/status/1032658127068516352
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #20
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A couple things:

Glad to see some barriers being broken. To me it should always go to the most qualified (regardless of race, gender, etc.)

With that said - I really am disappointed for this for a few reasons. Many might argue that she secured her spot in medicine based on her reputation and it is a sad thing to hear that this was a wasted spot that could have been given to someone who could have became a contributing doctor in society.

I’ve also had family who have participated in some of her camps for young girls in hockey. All of the girls indicated that they felt she didn’t want to be there and came across rude and disingenuous.

As happy as I am for the sport more broadly, I wish the story would have been about another athlete as I’ve heard very few positive things about her as a person outside of what you hear publicly.

As an aside - I’m surprised no one has brought up/jokes about the timing of this relative to Dion’s departure. She did fight his brother Dane in a Bantam game!