Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Lindros calls for significant changes to reduce concussions

Worth reading. I know that this is a hot topic among hockey fans, but I'm very much on the same wave length as Lindros and Dryden.

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hock..._autoplay=true

Unlike some other sports, hockey has an opportunity to change where it no longer needs nearly the same level of physicality then it once did. There was a time when one of the main reasons I loved the sport was because of the hard hitting nature of it, but I can't rationalize that against the severe health impacts it has had on some of my favorite players, including the deaths of several.

What doe the sport look like if only stick checking is allowed? Or even if checking is only about getting the puck back, and anything more than that is a sever penalty.

Important discussion.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We've already essentially reduced fighting to non-existence, now they want to take away body checking too?

If that ever happens, I'm out as an NHL fan.
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FunkMasterFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlame View Post
We've already essentially reduced fighting to non-existence, now they want to take away body checking too?

If that ever happens, I'm out as an NHL fan.
Quote:
“There are many fewer collisions … There was no such phrase of finishing your check. That was the nature of the game. As the years have gone on, the shifts have shortened and the speed has increased.”

By comparison, today’s game is a “relay race,” said Dryden. “You pass the baton to the next player and it’s another 38 (second shift). For 60 seconds, you don’t stop. It means there’s much less time, much less space and much more collisions and much more forceful collisions.”
The game is more physical than ever, and it's going to stay a very physical game. But because the physicality has increased so much, the pace is so much faster and the players so much bigger, you really have to consider that maybe the rules should change to reflect that.

Limiting body checking would likely just make the game more like it used to be.

Last edited by Itse; 08-19-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nice edit.

Quote:
Or, as Lindros and Dryden suggested, the league can take away hitting altogether and put the focus simply on a player’s skill.

Jiri asked for discussion and I'm giving my opinion as a fan. If they ban body-checking I will no longer be a fan of the NHL.

Last edited by FunkMasterFlame; 08-19-2018 at 10:27 AM.
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FunkMasterFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm a hockey fan no matter what. How can you rationalize asking another man to get brain damage for your entrainment?

Broken bones heal. Torn ligaments can be reattached. How do you give a man his mind back?
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlame View Post
Maybe you should read the very next paragraph of the article?

In my opinion, if that happens, I will no longer be an NHL fan.
Well, that's your choice. But I really think the change would be much smaller than what you're imagining.

With every change to reduce injuries (and there's been quite a few at this point), people always complain that the game is being drained of physicality, but but in a few years they barely remember it unless they're actually watching an old game.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

International ice. Give the skilled players more space.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #8
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always been of the mindset that professional athletes have always known what they signed up for when they got to the pros. And even with the knowledge gained the past decade regarding CTE parents still put their kids through hockey or football knowing full well there's a potential negative outcome.

I'm okay with fighting and goonery being widdled down to nothing as it is still used but on a more limited basis.

I can't say the same about football as their contracts are not guaranteed but in hockey they are assured their pay for the risks they take on willingly.

And I also feel that even in the short period of time that CTE and realted concussion issues have been discovered, the protective equipment has evolved to help prevent injuries.

I don't feel they need to eliminate hitting or checking, we just need time for the equipment to catch up.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #9
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who here has kids? Do you have them play hockey? My son plays bantam hockey where checking is allowed. How can I believe body checking should be removed from the game while I allow him to play?

To me the most dangerous part of the game is the area near the boards. No other sport erects a wall around its participants and allow it to be used as a way of inflicting pain. How about changing the rules with what is allowed to happen within 6 feet of the boards?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #10
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Who here has kids? Do you have them play hockey? My son plays bantam hockey where checking is allowed. How can I believe body checking should be removed from the game while I allow him to play?

To me the most dangerous part of the game is the area near the boards. No other sport erects a wall around its participants and allow it to be used as a way of inflicting pain. How about changing the rules with what is allowed to happen within 6 feet of the boards?
Certainly it is your choice as a parent as to whether or not your child plays but more parents now are making the choice to remove their kids from certain sports because of concussion concerns
Old 08-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #11
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Contact is fundamental to hockey. Without hitting, we might as well just join the rest of the world in following soccer.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #12
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Contact is fundamental to hockey. Without hitting, we might as well just join the rest of the world in following soccer.
Odd argument given the two sports share almost nothing in common
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #13
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get where Lindros is coming from. His career was cut short from 90s and early 2000s hockey. Like Kariya. But they've changed the game to address that. They really need to hammer guys like Marchand today to really send home the message. That high elbow on Marcus Johansen was the epitome of what hockey needs to eliminate.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #14
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Certainly it is your choice as a parent as to whether or not your child plays but more parents now are making the choice to remove their kids from certain sports because of concussion concerns
Well of course it’s a parents choice. But I am curious as to who here have decided their kids can’t play hockey. This is after all a hockey fan discussion board. Are there people who are huge fans of the game, give it their time and money, but believe it should be fundamentally changed and don’t want their kids playing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #15
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Exactly this, checking in hockey was never implemented to merely separate the player from the puck. It is used for intimidation and other advantages for momentum. Intimidation and a sense of being hit hard creates turnovers and other plays which is advantageous for the opponent.

Put in stick checking and no hitting, no thanks. I am sure some will like it, but I surely would lose interest fast. There is a reason why i dont watch much womens hockey or other types of hockey with no contact. They have done more than enough with the game to reduce injuries. Just keep the cheap shots out.

Whether its football, hockey, boxing or mixed martial arts. Contact sports will always have a place. Players know what they signed up for.

Last edited by soulchoice; 08-19-2018 at 11:15 AM.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #16
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Predatory hits by players with well established bad reps don’t deserve the many chances they get.

Take the caps Wilson as an example. To me he needs to clean up him game or get out.

Compare him with a guy like Ferland and there’s a huge difference . One is going out of his way to hit where the other is hitting but it’s a typical forecheck or backcheck .

Neal has had some past questionable hits but no where near the level he used too.

We have seen the Cooke’s , Marchments, Kane’s, Hatcher’s all change opposing players lives forever. The NHL wheel of justice is a Joke and we all know it.

I’ll never forget Matthew Lombardi, Marc Savard , Eric Lindros, Pat Lafontaine having their lives turned upside down .

All of it’s preventanble if they make the changes required . Players doing the harm should be suspended indefinitely until the return of the player hurt. Suspended players aren’t afraid of the light consequences and until something is done nothing will change.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #17
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flag football in the NFL?

Come on now, no hit hockey would be terrible. Ratings/attendance would be cut in half...or worse.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:13 AM   #18
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
I'm a hockey fan no matter what. How can you rationalize asking another man to get brain damage for your entrainment?

Broken bones heal. Torn ligaments can be reattached. How do you give a man his mind back?
Well, although boxing is no longer as popular as it once was. The millennials prefer MMA(not a fan) which is way worse and basically a return to gladiatorial combat. If anything bashing men's(and women now) brains in is as popular as ever.

If you look at the olympics, combat sports like TKD and Karate have been recently added, they are very popular. Judo and Boxing have always been tough tickets as well.

Rules based violence will always be popular form of entertainment, nothing will change that.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #19
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the past I would have said no but now that we're seeing the brain trauma that many of these players are dealing with I'm not so sure. I think I'd rather see immensely skilled players like Lindros and Kariya play full careers than the occasional bit hit. The don't necessarily even need to eliminate hits, most of the problems could be solved by cracking down harder on the stuff that's already illegal. If you elbow a guy in the head you should get 20 games not 1 or 2 games "because it's the playoffs".

Almost everyone would have argued to keep fighting in the game 10 years ago but now that it's almost gone I doubt most really care anymore.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #20
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post

BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote