puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The new OU starter can really scramble.
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #22
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Predictably the televised games are all blow outs...really nothing too enticing to keep watching, though of course i will.

That Auburn/Husky game hopefully lives up to the hype but i can see a blowout there as well.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #23
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

so....why was Texas a Top 25 team? The media should also STFU about *them being back* lol

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #24
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Predictably the televised games are all blow outs...really nothing too enticing to keep watching, though of course i will.

That Auburn/Husky game hopefully lives up to the hype but i can see a blowout there as well.
Every year I say I'm gonna start getting into college football and every time i go to watch a game a team is winning by 3 TD's in the first half. I enjoy watching the national championship games, but would like to try and get into more regular season games.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 11:47 AM   #25
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
so....why was Texas a Top 25 team? The media should also STFU about *them being back* lol
The pre season rankings are the single stupidest thing in sports.

Who knows how a group of 80 kids are going to perform until they do?

and the worst part is that those same rankings have influence throughout the entire year.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #26
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
The pre season rankings are the single stupidest thing in sports.

Who knows how a group of 80 kids are going to perform until they do?

and the worst part is that those same rankings have influence throughout the entire year.

The playoff committee doesn't release their rankings until late October for a reason. The meaningless polls put a lot of stock into the pre season rankings but for the playoff rankings they are basically meaningless.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #27
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nick Bosa has 2 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries and a touchdown, and it's only half-time. Not bad.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #28
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
The new OU starter can really scramble.
Sucks that we only have him for this year. He is incredibly athletic. If you didn't know he signed a contract with the Oakland Athletics ( and a signing bonus of like 4.5 mil) with the stipulation of he could play QB for one year at OU.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #29
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Every year I say I'm gonna start getting into college football and every time i go to watch a game a team is winning by 3 TD's in the first half. I enjoy watching the national championship games, but would like to try and get into more regular season games.

College football is funny like that. It probably has the highest number of lopsided games of any major sport, which is a natural byproduct of how they schedule and rank the teams.

However, the rivalries are intense, upsets can be monumental and matchups between the top end teams are phenomenal (and sometimes the unranked teams too). Also, like most other junior level and amateur sports, the mistakes, highs/lows and momentum changes can, and regularly do, far exceed that of the highly structured pro games. Watching game with big time conference implications between two unranked rivals that is full of exciting plays, mistakes and exceptional performances can be amazing. Another thing I love. The season is so short that virtually every game can be do or die. That matters a bit less now that the playoff exists but still applies in a lot of cases. The difference between winning a conference, winning the conference championship and making the playoff can be razor thin. So much on the line in every single game.

The trick is finding the best games and then finding a way to watch them. TSN's coverage is awful for most of the season and you'll only get a limited number of games on the main US networks since ESPN has most of the rights to broadcast in the US. TSN would much prefer to show 3rd round action from some lame golf tournament, or the same tennis matchup across 5 channels, rather than show a college game that isn't on one of the main US networks. So basically anything that is exclusive to ESPN, TSN has the rights to in Canada and they rarely show it. Even worse is that TSN will often choose to simsub the primary game that is already airing on ABC and then not show the highlight game on ESPN (which often means we miss major games, like the Iron Bowl). Although their coverage does improve later in the season and will often show 2 or 3 or more separate ESPN specific games. I think Shaw has a college package similar to Centre Ice and Sunday Ticket but I know Telus doesn't and it sucks.

And none of that comes close to addressing what it is like to see a game live and in person. The atmosphere, tailgating and dedication in many football-centric places is beyond anything we see in sports in Canada. Or at least much different to our level of fandom.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-01-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #30
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Texas lost to Maryland who hasn't even had a coach all month. Tom Herman makes $5 million/year.

Maryland has 5 FBS wins since Oct. 22, 2016. Two of them have come against the Longhorns.

lmao

Old 09-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #31
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Texas lost to Maryland who hasn't even had a coach all month. Tom Herman makes $5 million/year.

Maryland has 5 FBS wins since Oct. 22, 2016. Two of them have come against the Longhorns.

lmao

Blame Canada
Old 09-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #32
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Please god, let Penn State lose.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #33
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Of course they score a TD like two seconds after I type that.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #34
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Le sigh, Michigan doing what I expected them to. Already down 14, starting safety gone, and the offence looks vintage 1983 except for being in the shotgun. I picked a hell of a week to quit amphetamines.

Edit: fully deserved loss. Michigan looked completely unprepared and only managed 10 points on offence. Pretty abysmal showing, guess those amazing Patterson pieces got published a bit early.

Last edited by ResAlien; 09-01-2018 at 09:18 PM.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #35
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kansas loses to Nicholls, in what is likely their 2nd to last chance to win a game this season.

The last chance is, of course, Texas.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #36
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kansas loses to Nicholls, in what is likely their 2nd to last chance to win a game this season.

The last chance is, of course, Texas.
Shouldn't be a surprise. They've lost to a FCS opponent like 7 years in a row now.

KU fans are ready for Midnight in the Phog. Now
Old 09-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #37
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Sucks that we only have him for this year. He is incredibly athletic. If you didn't know he signed a contract with the Oakland Athletics ( and a signing bonus of like 4.5 mil) with the stipulation of he could play QB for one year at OU.
I think they'll be just fine when Kyler moves on. Both Kendall and Mordecai looked very good yesterday.

This OU team is better than last year's. FAU was a top 25 team in more than a few expert lists this year. Stoops might actually have a great defense

Last edited by Displaced Flames fan; 09-02-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Displaced Flames fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #38
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I think they'll be just fine when Kyler moves on. Both Kendall and Mordecai looked very good yesterday.

This OU team is better than last year's. FAU was a top 25 team in more than a few expert lusts this year. Stoops might actually have a great defense
They got Spencer Rattler coming next year too. The 1 QB in the 2019 class.

The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #39
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I hope Miami loses by 50pts.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:09 PM   #40
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post

This OU team is better than last year's. FAU was a top 25 team in more than a few expert lists this year. Stoops might actually have a great defense
Yeah that first series made me think we were in for the same D as last year. They tightened up though.

Im excited for the season but there's been a lot of Sooner disappointment since 2000.