Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #41
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
No offensive abilities at the NHL level and his defensive game is pretty forgettable. Doesn’t play physical or clear the crease at all, loses a decent amount of board battles. Strengths are obviously skating and he had some plays last year were he moved the puck well.

Just the definition of a replacement level player in my eyes.
He's a warm body. Was fun to watch playing out here with the Giants, but never really took off.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #42
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really wish it were MLB style where each puts in a number and the arbitrator must pick one of them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 08:21 PM   #43
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Sure, but there is no reason to believe he will be better than a 3rd pairing defenseman in the NHL. When you have Valimaki with 1st pairing potential plus Anderson and Kylington with 2nd pairing potential, I see Kulak being pushed out of the top 6 if not this season then almost definitely next season.
It’s all opinion but in mine Kulak also has 2nd pairing potential.

There’s no reason to believe Andersson will stick in the NHL until his skating improves and we still need to see Kylington at the NHL level to similarly project his potential.

Hopefully Valimaki does hit his ceiling but if he’s in the AHL this year and not one of the Flames 6, I’d play Kulak over Andersson.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 10:35 PM   #44
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames are trying to protect against a possible demotion in case a player like Valimaki or Andersson beats him out. Anything over 900k counts against the cap. A 2 way would allow them to save a bit of cash. Smart.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 11:10 PM   #45
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
The Flames are trying to protect against a possible demotion in case a player like Valimaki or Andersson beats him out. Anything over 900k counts against the cap. A 2 way would allow them to save a bit of cash. Smart.

The cap burial cut-off this season is $1.025 million.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 01:07 AM   #46
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd say 65% chance Kulak is traded for a 2nd-4th rounder before game 15 of the season. No room for him, but he's a legit #6.

The entire purpose of this negotiation from the flames perspective (IMO) is to reduce his cap hit on a 2-year deal so he becomes more valuable via trade. Two-years @ $700k AAV makes Kulak much more valuable on the trade market than one-year at $1.0m
Old 07-22-2018, 01:26 AM   #47
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Kulak was 71st-percentile for possession exits/60, which is better-than "alright", especially for a rookie.
Stone was 16th-percentile.

You seem to be attributing Stone's struggles to Kulak.
Possession exits/60 isn't a real thing is it? Sounds totally made up.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:49 AM   #48
simonarea
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I think you’re just being pretty generous, especially with the “very exceptional” part. Guy just went unclaimed on waivers... he isn’t exceptional an exceptional puck mover.

He did make SOME nice plays with good stick handling and skating but his passing is just alright and that’s the most important part of puck moving. A lot of times him and Stone got hemmed in when they should have got the puck out.
I agree. Kulak is not a physical player. 49 hits total all season...
I remember kulak being pushed around....often fell flat on the ice...
Sometimes caught way out of position... sometimes he did make good plays...

He will be a really good AHLer
Old 07-22-2018, 07:47 AM   #49
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I'd say 65% chance Kulak is traded for a 2nd-4th rounder before game 15 of the season. No room for him, but he's a legit #6.

The entire purpose of this negotiation from the flames perspective (IMO) is to reduce his cap hit on a 2-year deal so he becomes more valuable via trade. Two-years @ $700k AAV makes Kulak much more valuable on the trade market than one-year at $1.0m
Any team could have just had him for free off waivers ...

Why would a team give up a pick now ? You think a team values saving a few hundred thousand on a contract as a 2-4th round pick ...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #50
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Because you know how much he's getting paid after the arbitration decision comes out.

I still don't think anyone gives up much for him though.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #51
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kulak was 71st-percentile for possession exits/60, which is better-than "alright", especially for a rookie.

Exactly, it is tough playing defence with Stone. Kulak is the unlucky guy who has to try. I think Kulak had a solid year considering who his partner was.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #52
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Any team could have just had him for free off waivers ...

Why would a team give up a pick now ? You think a team values saving a few hundred thousand on a contract as a 2-4th round pick ...
while it wouldn't be unheard of for a team to do that (oddly enough it has happened in the past) I doubt Kulak would get you anywhere near a 2-4 round pick...

the season before Calgary traded for him, Stone had 36 points in 75 games for Arizona, yet Calgary got him for a 3rd and 5th round pick (5th was conditional on resigning)...

i like Kulak, but he hasn't shown he is worth much more than a 5th - 7th rounder at this point in his career.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:10 AM   #53
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
Possession exits/60 isn't a real thing is it? Sounds totally made up.
You just described every advanced stat in hockey.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #54
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Kulak can get you a second rounder, you do that immediately.

But no way he even gets you a third rounder.
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 10:35 AM   #55
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Possession exits occur after someone on your team – usually not the player who performs the exit – takes the puck away from the opposing team. Defence is the thing that happens when the other team has possession.

You seem to be using statistics that do not even measure the primary job Stone is paid to do.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #56
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Exactly, it is tough playing defence with Stone. Kulak is the unlucky guy who has to try. I think Kulak had a solid year considering who his partner was.
And yet when Brodie was paired with him his game solidified and had no problems. When he played on his off side with Hamonic, Hamonic had no problem. When he was OEL's partner he helped cover OEL's defensive gaffes. I think you are full of something brown and smelly on this one.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #57
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought Kulak had a strong rookie campaign and has room to improve. He's only 24, I don't think it's impossible he turns into a #4.
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #58
BruceCody
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
When you have Valimaki with 1st pairing potential plus Anderson and Kylington with 2nd pairing potential, I see Kulak being pushed out of the top 6 if not this season then almost definitely next season.
Can you tell me how potential 1st and 2nd pairing guys being pushed 3rd pairing guy out of the top 6?
Old 07-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #59
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceCody View Post
Can you tell me how potential 1st and 2nd pairing guys being pushed 3rd pairing guy out of the top 6?
If someone is displaced on the top 2 pairs, everyone below them slots lower.

Within 2 years, I expect Valimaki to push for at least the 2nd pair. Depending on Hanifin's progression and Gio's regression, at some point Hanifin will likely also surpass Gio, dropping him to the 3rd pair, with Valimaki and Hanifin competing for the 1st pairing. They will also eventually need room for Kylington. So Kulak is warming the bench at best, excepting injuries, and I suspect that as early as 2019, Kylington may be the better option if an injury occurs.

If they can trade Kulak for any sort of return, they likely will.

Does anyone know if they can assign him to Stockton in the offseason immediately if he gets a 2-way in arbitration? Does he then have to pass through waivers again if he attends training camp for the main team?
Old 07-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #60
BruceCody
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Depending on Hanifin's progression and Gio's regression, at some point Hanifin will likely also surpass Gio, dropping him to the 3rd pair
Pay over $6 mil for 3rd pairing guy. Mmm, delicious
Closed Thread