Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Gawdin, Glen 151 49.83%
Ruzicka, Adam 152 50.17%
Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #41
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
No, because Ruzicka will most likely be playing pro by that time. Either in North America as a Flames farm hand, or in Europe in one of the leagues over there. A big kid with skill like that will have all leagues interested in him.

On Gawdin's production, him being an overager, playing in his 5th year of junior hockey, is a reason to be extremely suspect of his numbers. If it were not for his numbers, he likely doesn't get noticed or talked about. Yes, he had a massive year where he experienced explosive improvement in his scoring numbers. That should be a red flag. He did so playing on one of the more dynamic lines in junior hockey, and with two very well regarded prospects (Heponiemi and Steenbergen). Did his skills take a quantum leap in development where he became a dominant player in the game, or was it a combination of his line mates and the age advantage? Can he do the same at the pro level where those advantages disappear? I would think if his explosive production increase was indicative of personal skills improving, he would have been a standout player at dev camp? He would have had a number of teams chasing him? I get that we like gaudy numbers, but is this the level he can maintain, or was it a one and done thing? I think that because of the age and experience advantage being removed from the equation the potential for the "one and done" scenario is much more likely.
Were you aware Gawdin missed 40 games over the previous two seasons with various injuries? He still would have finished below Ruzicka in the draft+1 year if they played equal games, but not by as much. As to relying on his linemates, he was also the WHL playoff MVP, FWIW.

The main downside is his initials.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:00 PM   #42
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
No, because Ruzicka will most likely be playing pro by that time. Either in North America as a Flames farm hand, or in Europe in one of the leagues over there. A big kid with skill like that will have all leagues interested in him.

On Gawdin's production, him being an overager, playing in his 5th year of junior hockey, is a reason to be extremely suspect of his numbers. If it were not for his numbers, he likely doesn't get noticed or talked about. Yes, he had a massive year where he experienced explosive improvement in his scoring numbers. That should be a red flag. He did so playing on one of the more dynamic lines in junior hockey, and with two very well regarded prospects (Heponiemi and Steenbergen). Did his skills take a quantum leap in development where he became a dominant player in the game, or was it a combination of his line mates and the age advantage? Can he do the same at the pro level where those advantages disappear? I would think if his explosive production increase was indicative of personal skills improving, he would have been a standout player at dev camp? He would have had a number of teams chasing him? I get that we like gaudy numbers, but is this the level he can maintain, or was it a one and done thing? I think that because of the age and experience advantage being removed from the equation the potential for the "one and done" scenario is much more likely.
I agree - it's likely he's just a "one and done" type prospect and won't amount to much more than an average AHLer. Ruzicka is far from a sure thing too. It's anyone guess and we're just hoping one of the many guys on the list of remaining prospects becomes a useful NHLer.

My point is Gawdin is only in the discussion right now because of this past amazing (albeit, overrage) season, not his previous sub-par junior seasons. So it seems odd to compare Ruzicka and Gawdin when they were both the same age, because we all agree Gawdin didn't show much at that time.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #43
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m going Gawdin. Like them both though.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #44
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Ruzicka. Increased his year over production and has the raw physical tools to play in the NHL. And because I suspect Gawdin is one of those guys whose skills/results won't transfer to higher levels.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #45
circle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
He wasn't a captain or one of the assistants, in fact he was one of the handful of 18 year olds on the team. The majority of the team were 19 year olds.

In the American game he was on the top line and the ice for all three goals that the Slovaks scored (none against). I can't find any ice times from the juniors, but I don't recall him being benched. His line was typically the first one on after the Slovaks got scored on.

He was probably touted as one of the more skill players on the Slovak team, but they were always picked as a team that would struggle to score. I doubt many had them making it to the quarter finals.
You can still be a leader without having a letter on the jersey. I recall from this past WJC that Ruzicka was one of just 3 Slovak players that were drafted. What this says to me is that he has had the experience of being part of an NHL development camp, playing in the Penticton tournament with other NHL-caliber prospects, etc. such that other players hoping to be drafted would look to him for advice. I agree that Ruzicka was touted as one of the more skilled players on the Slovak team, but he did not live up to those expectations because he didn't have the drive or compete. He didn't look good in my viewings. Of course, this is looking through the lens of an extremely small sample size but I also look to this years OHL playoffs where he struggled as well. That is why I have him ranked lower.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #46
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going with Ruzicka. Gawdin has the higher potential but a greater risk of not making it to the NHL in my eyes. I could be wrong, but there are tons of players that just absolutely rock the WHL and don't become anything else. I think, Ruzicka has the potential to be a bottom 6 player on the Flames. A 4th line C/LW would suffice, we could use one of those within a few years. Could potentially be Ryan's replacement on the bottom 6.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #47
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ruzicka simply because as awesome as Gawdin's season was, dominating as an overager always makes me a tad cautious
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #48
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
What's our more recent experience with overagers in our system? Hunter Smith? He put up some good numbers, Austin Carroll too right? I remember being temporarily excited about Carroll as well.
Lol. Were they anywhere close to the points or complete game Gawdin had. Your kidding right?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #49
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Lol. Were they anywhere close to the points or complete game Gawdin had. Your kidding right?
I can't remember, I just remember being excited about Carroll because he scored 50 goals or something. That's why I'm asking the question.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #50
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I can't remember, I just remember being excited about Carroll because he scored 50 goals or something. That's why I'm asking the question.
Ok fair enough. I misread as though we were high on those 2 as well but they busted and Gawdin is a given to do the same.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #51
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gawdin had 125 points in 67 games

Carrol had 77 points in 69 games.

Smith had 49 points in 57 games.
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #52
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Ok fair enough. I misread as though we were high on those 2 as well but they busted and Gawdin is a given to do the same.
I would give Gawdin a 40% chance of being a career ECHLer, a 50% chance of being a career AHLer and a 10% chance of being a NHLer.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:03 AM   #53
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basically a tie?
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:25 AM   #54
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, have we ever seen such a tight runoff??
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #55
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kulak and Culkin a couple years ago was pretty damn close IIRC
Yrebmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #56
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I only voted to get it closer than it was, instead of two votes apart, now just one.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #57
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
Kulak and Culkin a couple years ago was pretty damn close IIRC
That was a confusing time.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #58
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not surprising it’s close, both players have big question marks. I like Gawdin but he’s a long shot to even be an AHL’er at this point. Ruzicka will hopefully figure out the mental aspect of the game.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #59
ignite
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Ruzicka will be another gamble in the 4th round that vaults up the prospect rankings next year
I foresee he'll lead OHL scoring and we'll all be buying Ruzicka sweaters in 3-4 years. Crazy skill and size and the motivation will follow with him gaining confidence.
ignite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #60
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

150 to 150... this should be called a tie out of respect, and move on to round 13
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote