Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #41
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Columbus traded for Panarin, treated him well, made him the star of the team, and are wiling to pay him big bucks, but he's going to walk on them. I just don't have much time for athletes like that, no matter how skilled they are.
Employees who work at regular jobs do this all the time.

In the case of athletes, they don't even have the choice of where they play until they hit UFA.

It's hard for me to complain when they exercise that right once they get it.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #42
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Columbus traded for Panarin, treated him well, made him the star of the team, and are wiling to pay him big bucks, but he's going to walk on them. I just don't have much time for athletes like that, no matter how skilled they are.
Kid was dirt poor, made himself great at something, moved to a foreign land and became one of the best players in the world. He doesn’t owe anything to anyone but himself and his family.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #43
haiku
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Columbus traded for Panarin, treated him well, made him the star of the team, and are wiling to pay him big bucks, but he's going to walk on them. I just don't have much time for athletes like that, no h how skilled they are.
was star since day one
cliff character assassin
career stats below

2015–16
Chicago Blackhawks
NHL 80 30 47 77

2016–17
Chicago Blackhawks
NHL 82 31 43 74

2017–18
Columbus Blue Jackets
NHL 81 27 55 82
haiku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to haiku For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 09:58 PM   #44
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Janko
Bennett
Kylington
19 1st
20 2nd
For one year of Panarin? Overpayment. Especially when you consider that the Flames already have cap issues without adding a 6M contract.

It's also probably not what the Jackets would be after. They'll prefer to find some place he'll agree to sign long-term with and get better one or two asset back.

If he signed to a reasonable, long-term contract and the Flames could make cap room for him (i.e. Stone and Brouwer traded), sure.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #45
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So, let me understand this correctly. In Canada one is not allowed to decide where or for whom to work?

Not cool bro, not cool.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:51 AM   #46
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
For one year of Panarin? Overpayment. Especially when you consider that the Flames already have cap issues without adding a 6M contract.

It's also probably not what the Jackets would be after. They'll prefer to find some place he'll agree to sign long-term with and get better one or two asset back.

If he signed to a reasonable, long-term contract and the Flames could make cap room for him (i.e. Stone and Brouwer traded), sure.
At the time I suggested that it was before all these other deals took place and it was based on the condition that Panarin would be extended. No way I would like to see all that traded for just 1 year of Panarin and at this time with the players we’ve added I don’t see a way to bring in Panarin with out losing Frolik/Stone/Bennett/Brouwer.

He would be a fun player to get though no doubt! Stay out east or in the central division... just not the pacific please and thank you.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:08 AM   #47
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So California, NY, Chicago, or a Florida team.
Quote:
The guy is a mercenary who's only interested in big money and bright lights. He wouldn't come to Calgary and I wouldn't want him.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:41 AM   #48
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Janko
Bennett
Kylington
19 1st
20 2nd

I posted this a few months back and many thought it was an underpayment but the longer the Jackets wait here the harder its going to be to consider losing him for nothing. They could always wait until the deadline but that is taking risk and now you have a distraction in the locker room all the way to trade deadline day which could be an issue.

What would you guys consider fair value from a Flames perspective? I don't even want him now at this point as we need to get through the next few years and wait out contracts like Frolik, Brouwer, Stone ect. And looking at our line-up now there just isn't enough room to add a guy like Panarin long term and we actually have more of a need right now to get rid of some bottom 6 forwards in Brouwer and maybe even Frolik/Lazar

But what would the cost be from the Flames perspective to land a big fish like Panarin in the situation that he is in currently?

I hate the thought of a team like SJ landing this guy... please just stay out of the Pacific.
If its true that he wants to be in a large, international and vibrant city. I would assume our chances of signing him to a long term contract is no better than Columbus. No way Id want to give up that much for Panarin, as good as he is.

I have no issues with players only wanting to play in certain cities. He has established himself and if he can choose his own destination, good for him. I know if i was an elite player in the NHL, the only cities I would want to play in would be NY, California teams, Florida(if competitive), Tampa, Dallas(if competitive), Chicago, Boston or Toronto(if Competitive). All other cities would not be desirable.

Last edited by soulchoice; 07-20-2018 at 03:46 AM.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #49
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Could we maybe keep a draft pick for once?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #50
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trading anything for Panarin at this point would be a fools' errand, it's clear he's got his preferred playing destinations, and that's not Calgary.
The guy made it the hard way, never drafted, played six years in the KHL, signed for minimal money with no guarantees, to play in the NHL. Everything he has, he's had to earn, he owes the Jackets nothing. He deserves the opportunity to play wherever he wants.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #51
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Depending on cost you'd pass on a brilliant ~80 point winger?

I dont know man, I'd give up a lot for Panarin.
In theory, but he is already showing that he can be difficult to deal with, so if you give up a lot to get him and then in a year or two, he demands a trade to a small number of teams, you have an asset with diminished value.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #52
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see the Sharks or Ducks making a big push. The SHarks have the cap space and have been big game hunting this summer.

Anaheim has been quiet and I can see them making a big move to stay relevant
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:18 PM   #53
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
In theory, but he is already showing that he can be difficult to deal with, so if you give up a lot to get him and then in a year or two, he demands a trade to a small number of teams, you have an asset with diminished value.
That's the beauty of contracts. If he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid.

If he's not fulfilling the parameters of his contract, he doesn't get paid.

It's not a 1 way street. He can in turn hurt his career if that were the case.

No one would want the Katherine Heigl of the nhl on their team

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:40 PM   #54
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would imagine any trade that would involve Panarin right now would include permission by Columbus to talk directly to Panarin's camp about an extension. I doubt that the Flames would be pursuing him (cap reasons mostly), but if they did, I would imagine Treliving would negotiate first with Columbus, and if they made headway, would then negotiate with Panarin directly on an extension. If a deal is made, the trade is made.

I don't think that Panarin is doing anything wrong here. You get to pick your destination, you pick it. I think it is the team's responsibility to be attractive enough to Panarin to retain him. What does Panarin owe Columbus? All he owed them was the performance that he gave them last season. Met his contractual obligations, will probably meet them again this upcoming season as well if he is still there. That's all he owes him. If that is him being a mercenary, then... well... every single player in the NHL - unless giving their respective teams a sweet home-town discount - is a mercenary. That's just how life works sometimes.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #55
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
That's the beauty of contracts. If he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid.

If he's not fulfilling the parameters of his contract, he doesn't get paid.

It's not a 1 way street. He can in turn hurt his career if that were the case.

No one would want the Katherine Heigl of the nhl on their team
My fear would be that the Flames acquire him, then next year he decides to make a trade demand to go where he originally wanted to go. Trade demands can hurt the value of an asset and team chemistry. If we gave up a pile of assets for him, and couldn't recover similar value, that would hurt the team in the long run.

If it is true that he is leaning towards free agency and has his heart set on certain locations, that could be a dangerous gamble.

As others have mentioned, nothing wrong with him wanting to hand pick where he wants to play. It's his right once he is a free agent. I just don't like it if he hurts the Blue Jackets ability to get top value for him by leaking these rumours.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 07-21-2018 at 05:07 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #56
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

All I know is that this undersized kid came from a nothing craphole town in Russia, with terrible gear and basically zero chance to make it. His work ethic is second to none.

Gotta respect him.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 06:19 PM   #57
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I never really understand people getting upset with athletes and using the "they are millionaires" argument, or insinuate that they should get paid less. They are contract employees of franchises who are owned by enormous corporations, or, in most cases, BILLIONAIRES...
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:32 PM   #58
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'll take Katherine Heigl - forget the rest.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:56 PM   #59
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by カナダ人です View Post
I never really understand people getting upset with athletes and using the "they are millionaires" argument, or insinuate that they should get paid less. They are contract employees of franchises who are owned by enormous corporations, or, in most cases, BILLIONAIRES...
I think the thing most people get upset with is that some of those athletes whine like spoilt children about how terrible it is to be in their position… while being paid millions of dollars to play a children's game.

OK, guys. You want to choose where you work, get a regular day job like the rest of us. Not prepared to make that tradeoff? Then deal with it.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:24 PM   #60
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I think the thing most people get upset with is that some of those athletes whine like spoilt children about how terrible it is to be in their position… while being paid millions of dollars to play a children's game.

OK, guys. You want to choose where you work, get a regular day job like the rest of us. Not prepared to make that tradeoff? Then deal with it.
But that's the point... Panarin is well within his rights to not sign a new contract with Columbus. Why demonize or belittle him for that?
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to カナダ人です For This Useful Post: