Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 09-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #2681
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
There were times last year when Bennett was the best player on the ice. It seemed like every time he showed those glimpses, GG would follow it up by changing his line mates, changing his position, or reduce his ice time. GG was the worst thing that could have happened to the development of Bennett.
And this isn't a fresh take, I've been saying this for at least a year.
I cannot tactfully express how glad I am that he's gone. Another year of watching his stupid ass back passes and illogical deployment, as well as the complete lack of in game adjustments would have seriously reduced my desire to watch down to about 1 or 2, which is about how much I was watching by the end of last year.

Literally the only good thing I can say about his coaching is that he's taking it to Edmonton. I can't wait to see some of the players burst out of the gate this year, free from the shackles of playing for corsi.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2018, 09:23 PM   #2682
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

The above is pretty harsh but I have to say I agree with it. Gulutzan infuriated me last season in many ways. He might be a good x and o assistant but he was a terrible head coach and I will not miss him in any way. Probably my most hated Flames coach that I can remember tbh.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:03 AM   #2683
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
The above is pretty harsh but I have to say I agree with it. Gulutzan infuriated me last season in many ways. He might be a good x and o assistant but he was a terrible head coach and I will not miss him in any way. Probably my most hated Flames coach that I can remember tbh.
He sure squandered the most talent any coach has had on the team in 20 years.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #2684
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
He sure squandered the most talent any coach has had on the team in 20 years.
lol
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #2685
haiku
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
lol
drive-by, phew phew phew
another victim for flash
laughing not substance
haiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #2686
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol
I have to second this sentiment. The bottom 6 that featured multiple players who belong in the AHL was enough to keep last year's team out of this conversation.

Hell, you don't even have to go very far back to find a better example in the post-TDL 2008-09 team that was undone by injuries.

I will say that depending on how the new acquisitions adjust and how the goaltending holds up, this year's team has the potential to be the one of the best however.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 09-04-2018 at 09:47 AM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #2687
300 MPH Blues
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/news/dougie-hami...es/c-299944606

"A lot of good players, high-end talent and deep," Hamilton told the Hurricanes website Tuesday. "So it's fun to be a part of that. I think when I went to Calgary, it was kind of the same thing, where on paper maybe we were the best [defense] corps in the League, and we actually didn't turn out so good. So hopefully in Carolina we can do a little better of getting chemistry with everybody and really being a force back there as a unit."
300 MPH Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #2688
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol
Yeah...I'm not sure how anybody can look at last year's forward group and think "squandered talent". On defense the only squandered talent was Brodie IMO.

The team lacked a lot of talent and scoring ability up front. And it's a big reason that GG is gone IMO they didn't have the talent to actually convert on the chances that were being generated.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #2689
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 MPH Blues View Post
https://www.nhl.com/news/dougie-hami...es/c-299944606

"A lot of good players, high-end talent and deep," Hamilton told the Hurricanes website Tuesday. "So it's fun to be a part of that. I think when I went to Calgary, it was kind of the same thing, where on paper maybe we were the best [defense] corps in the League, and we actually didn't turn out so good. So hopefully in Carolina we can do a little better of getting chemistry with everybody and really being a force back there as a unit."
I would love to watch Giordano read that for the first time and hear his reaction to it.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #2690
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

What type of reaction would you expect?

That's pretty much what everyone agreed about the Flames, including the general manager. Great defense on paper that didn't meet expectations. You'd be disappointed if you expected him to do anything but a slight head nod in agreement.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #2691
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I would love to watch Giordano read that for the first time and hear his reaction to it.
What he says is pretty much true. He doesnt throw anyone under the bus, just says they were good on paper but things just didnt seem to work out. Its what we have been saying for a few years now.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 09-05-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #2692
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

aka the woes of Dougie Hamilton
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:39 PM   #2693
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was pretty underwhelmed with the trade at first as I hate giving up the best player in a deal but have really warmed up to it since then. I wasn't enamoured with the thought of Lindholm playing in the top RW spot but with the Neal signing I'm excited that there is two legitimate top 6 RW options and whoever does well will play there.

I'm still a little gun-shy on projecting Hanifin but I hope he can gel with Hamonic and bring some offense!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:36 PM   #2694
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trade will work out fine for the Flames, dependant on one crucial factor.

Brodie getting back on track after 2 consecutive subpar ( mildly stated) seasons. That is the bet the Flames are making.

Hanifin is a budding top end D and have no issue with them being patient with a 21 yr old D who possesses huge upside.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #2695
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a repeat of what I posted in the other thread. I don't know how to quote and link from my phone, so sorry.

In a nutshell, Ferland and Hamilton were shipped out for many reasons, but one in particular was their give a crap meter were both extremely low. Neither cared about winning. My opinion, unless Ferland learns to care or shows that, I wouldn't want him on the team, especially when you have guys like Tkachuk and Gio who really give a crap. Culture is huge, and I think the Flames are better for it.

And just to reiterate, I will not list my source, so don't ask. I trust my source though, as he has very intimate knowledge on the team, and is very ingrained in that room.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #2696
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

From an Athletic article today: https://theathletic.com/576819/2018/...oesnt-respect/

Quote:
Hamilton chooses his words carefully when asked if he was angry at being traded and whether the whole museum thing was hurtful.

“I think the biggest thing for me that I’ve learned is that the people that I respect as humans that’s whose words kind of affect me,” Hamilton said. “If I respect someone and they tell me that I’m doing something wrong and shouldn’t be acting the way I act and stuff like that, then I’m going to change. But I think if I don’t respect the person, then there’s no reason to change or to listen to what their beliefs are and what they say about you. I think that’s what I’ve kind of learned over the years. So I don’t think too much into that kind of stuff.”
I don't know how much I can quote since it's behind a paywall, but as somebody who was adamantly against trading Hamilton (and still disappointed), I'm starting to believe there's more to this story than just anecdotes (from John Shannon of all people) of Dougie preferring to spend time at museums rather than with the "guys at Moxie's".

Quote:
But (and you knew this was coming, didn’t you?) there were also elements that amounted to red flags for the Flames organization, the source said.

Hamilton was too sensitive to criticism, the source suggested. And he added that there was a definite disconnect between Hamilton and some of his teammates, including Hamilton’s non-appearance at an end of season gathering.
Imagine the coach or GM or a teammate trying to give advice to Dougie, but he shrugs them off because he doesn't "respect [them] as humans"?

This whole thing is so disappointing because you can see and quantify Dougie's value on the ice, but I'm really starting to believe the mockery the media has made of the museums and Moxie's situation is starting to turn.

There are also some quotes from Ray Ferraro saying essentially that Dougie is good enough that the team should just learn to live with any possible personality warts. That's probably my stance as well, but ultimately it depends on who he's clashing with.

Last edited by Ashasx; 10-09-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #2697
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton speaks in riddles. But reading between the lines he just wasn't a fit in the room. Whether it was his personality, lack of friendships or maybe even bullying, we'll never know. But safe to say as good of a player he is, the trade had to be made.

I hold no ill-will towards him. It often was felt he had more to show, but he more than lived up to his contract during his tenure. At the end of the day, these players are humans just like the rest of us. And we don't always jive with the colleagues we work with everyday.

I'm actually glad to see the trade seems to be working out for both teams.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #2698
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Can’t say that quote makes me miss him any more than I already did.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #2699
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is an odd situation.
I think one needs to be careful to be too critical of Hamilton.
It seems to me that he is simply not a typical hockey player. He was blessed with tremendous skill, but in terms of personality type, he isn’t like most players.
Therefore he could struggle to fit in.
And that’s something you see all the time, no matter the organization. Smart, hard working people that flame out because they aren’t a cultural fit.
That phrase is a bit dangerous, as ultimately I think organizations should ask themselves how can they be the type of place where not just a narrow type of person can excel.
Anytime you use talent, because of lack of fit, it isn’t the outcome you want.

But at the same time there are basic commitments team mates (againt in and out of sports) need to be able to make to each other. And if indeed, Dougie was missing team gatherings, and what not – that is problematic.

Ultimately it seems like it was good for everyone to move on. I hope Dougie finds a fit somewhere, but it seems like he’s just not your typical NHLer.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #2700
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ferland lighting it up in Carolina though. Wonder how he will make out in free agency this summer.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote