Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2018, 12:14 AM   #101
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

[QUOTE=Textcritic;6541242]I seriously doubt it. The Central teams have all still played only half of their intra-divisional schedule, and these games will govern how many points they can all accumulate. Besides, there does not seem to be a lot of separation between the top five teams in either division. The difference is at the bottom, where all of Edmonton, Arizona, and Vancouver are clearly awful. But if anything, this probably improves the chances of two Pacific Division teams in the WC spots, by virtue of the fact that the other five all have the benefit of playing these terrible teams more often.
QUOTE]

Sure but I guess I can't envision Chicago missing the playoffs - looks bad for them now but I expect they will climb back into it. But I dont' see them catching any of the top 3 in the Central. So there is one WC spot gone. Any of Dallas, Colorado or Minnesota seem well placed to beat whoever finishes 4th in the Pacific. Those intra-divisional games can also produce a lot of 3 point results.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:49 AM   #102
taynton
Draft Pick

Home: 12-11-0
Away: 13-5-4

We'll have to get better at home to win the Division. Otherwise, do we really want home ice?
taynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:48 AM   #103
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Sure but I guess I can't envision Chicago missing the playoffs - looks bad for them now but I expect they will climb back into it. But I dont' see them catching any of the top 3 in the Central. So there is one WC spot gone. Any of Dallas, Colorado or Minnesota seem well placed to beat whoever finishes 4th in the Pacific. Those intra-divisional games can also produce a lot of 3 point results.
I can see the Jets crash landing somewhere.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #104
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The way things are going they'll need to be the President Trophy winners to win the Pacific. The Flames are a good team but I don't know if they're the best team in the league.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #105
Flame19,289
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taynton View Post
Home: 12-11-0
Away: 13-5-4

We'll have to get better at home to win the Division. Otherwise, do we really want home ice?
Well, 6 of the next 7 games are at home. The Flames don’t play outside of Alberta until February 6th. Keep the streak of good play going over the next few weeks and that home record will look a lot better!
Flame19,289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:41 AM   #106
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=Corral;6541810]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I seriously doubt it. The Central teams have all still played only half of their intra-divisional schedule, and these games will govern how many points they can all accumulate. Besides, there does not seem to be a lot of separation between the top five teams in either division. The difference is at the bottom, where all of Edmonton, Arizona, and Vancouver are clearly awful. But if anything, this probably improves the chances of two Pacific Division teams in the WC spots, by virtue of the fact that the other five all have the benefit of playing these terrible teams more often.
QUOTE]

You are overrating the Hawks based on past accomplishments. Many experts had them missing the playoffs, they have poor depth and Seabrook has regressed a lot.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #107
Insane_Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Knights keep bloody rolling.
Insane_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #108
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
That's backward looking. People were saying that about Detroit before they missed last time, and that was a 25 year streak iirc.

In a cap league, teams will ebb and flow (unless they're just straight out incompetent like a certain franchise )
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:10 AM   #109
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane_Flame View Post
Knights keep bloody rolling.
Took over 1st in the NHL.

Hell of a thing that. Might cause some serious discussions surrounding expansion draft rules the next time around, but I cant take anything away from them.

They're the Island of Misfit Toys with a chip on their shoulders and they're taking it out on the entire League.

It would have been nice if they'd curbstomped Edmonton though.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #110
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Took over 1st in the NHL.

Hell of a thing that. Might cause some serious discussions surrounding expansion draft rules the next time around, but I cant take anything away from them.

They're the Island of Misfit Toys with a chip on their shoulders and they're taking it out on the entire League.

It would have been nice if they'd curbstomped Edmonton though.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the expansion rules. They took advantage of a couple of teams that mismanaged their prospects but I feel pretty confident that what they have done could not be easily replicated by another expansion team as they found the perfect coach for the players and the city seems to provide a unique home ice advantage. I'm not discrediting their hard work but it's a bit of lightning in a bottle going on and I don't think anyone would be surprised if they return to earth next season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #111
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with the expansion rules. They took advantage of a couple of teams that mismanaged their prospects but I feel pretty confident that what they have done could not be easily replicated by another expansion team as they found the perfect coach for the players and the city seems to provide a unique home ice advantage. I'm not discrediting their hard work but it's a bit of lightning in a bottle going on and I don't think anyone would be surprised if they return to earth next season.
Plenty of posters here on CP were bashing McPhee for doing a horrible job building this team before the season started. I didn't think he had much of a team either. I think the expansion rules are fine as well. If the Panthers didn't gift them two good forwards then they would be a couple of spots lower in the standings.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #112
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

And how many teams passed on Subban? Vegas got the guy off waivers and he has since amassed as many wins as their starter. Who knows how they would have fared otherwise, when Fleury was injured.