Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #261
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Wills and Hrudey said during the broadcast he is on the IR. Confirmed on nhl.com
https://www.nhl.com/flames/team/injury-report

(Maybe that is common knowledge, sorry if so)
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #262
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

He hasn't played a game in over a week, so there's no reason to not put him on the IR for now. It does open the door for another call-up, but with Stockton's depleted forward ranks, they may not want to call anyone else up.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:35 PM   #263
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
If he plays a bunch of more games he could earn as much as $650k US, not a lot of money for a player who's probably grossed over $120 million in NHL earnings. I don't see him NOT wanting to collect that money if he has the potential to do it.
Kipper.

Left his contract with a year to go and $1M on the table. Now I might not, and you might not, but ....
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:47 PM   #264
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, as I speculated earlier, if he’s too hurt (and possible needs surgery) to play in the Olympics as an exit, he may as well stay here, get treated and rehabbed on the Flames dime.

He may not want surgery if it potentially means not getting that $150k bonus for playing however many game he needs but if there is no other option and he is too hurt to play in Korea, stay here and on IR.

But, knock on wood, the Flames may get injuries up front and need an NHL forward ready to go in a month or beyond.
I think a fully fit, fully in shape Jagr, which is what the Flames have told him he has to be to have any chance of playing, will provide value.

He was just about to get to that point before he got hurt the first time, as his skating and confidence were noticeably different.

Question then is, with his exit not a sure thing, does he have the patience to get minor surgery and rehab and get in fully fit shape the next 4 to 6 weeks, with no guarantee of playing for the Flames? Would another team want him come trade deadline time if he is fully healed and fitter than he’s been since he’s gotten here?

Last edited by browna; 01-09-2018 at 09:50 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 10:23 PM   #265
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the NHL media site, Jagr's not on the IR.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:50 PM   #266
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Question then is, with his exit not a sure thing, does he have the patience to get minor surgery and rehab and get in fully fit shape the next 4 to 6 weeks, with no guarantee of playing for the Flames? Would another team want him come trade deadline time if he is fully healed and fitter than he’s been since he’s gotten here?
His exit is a sure thing. The man has played his last NHL game.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:51 PM   #267
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
On the NHL media site, Jagr's not on the IR.
That’s a different site than the nhl public site I linked above?

Weird. Fake news I guess.

Some people should get better at managing external messaging.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #268
DAN0383
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll never forget the times JJ was a Flame... my fav player of all time. I don't think I've had a different avatar for 7-8 years.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #269
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/b...gr-experiment/

Quote:
“We would do the Jagr experiment again tomorrow if we had the opportunity,” Burke said. “He’s been a quality guy, he’s played well when he’s been able to. He’s been hurt a lot, missing training camp, starting late, it’s really been a perfect storm against him and when you’re [45] years old, that’s a lot.”

The Flames signed Jagr to a one-year, $1-million contract in October after months of speculation regarding his NHL future.

“He’s been battling some injuries, fighting through some injuries, we’re working through his situation day-by-day,” Burke continued. “We have nothing to announce at this point, and when we do, we will.”

Quote:
“He’s a great person. He’s really good in the room, we really enjoy him. He’s great,” said Burke, indicating that numerous Flames forwards, including rookie linemate Mark Jankowski, have cherished the opportunity to work alongside Jagr

“When a Hall of Famer like Jaromir Jagr tells you, you’re grateful for that advice. You’re like, ‘OK, I’m going to cherish that, I’m going to remember that, I’m going to remember that until I die,” said Burke. “[Jankowski] is going to tell his grandkids about those one-on-ones.”

When asked if Jagr might join a different NHL team, Burke said, “I don’t know, but I would say the feeling is probably not.”

“He’s got rings, he’s got trophies, he’s got titles, he’s got records. This has been a wonderful career, if it is indeed at the end.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 AM   #270
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Nice to hear some of Burke's opinions on the various things.

How come Burke has to go out to Toronto to get these answers out of him, on Jagr, trade deadline etc? I can't recall last time I've heard him speak on a broadcast here, or had even a quote in the local paper. If he has, certainly nothing of an extended nature such as this.

I know he has a relationship with the media there etc but is everyone in the media here too intimidated to chat with him and get him on record?
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:13 AM   #271
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds to me like Jagr is just too banged up to play in the NHL. The part about not joining another NHL team to me says that the Flames know he can't hold up anymore. I'm sure other teams know too. That Jagr has permission to talk to other teams says to me that he might be in denial about his situation.

It's a shame Jagr didn't sign here a year or two earlier, but it was still really awesome to see him in a Flames uniform even if it was very brief.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 02:30 AM   #272
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Nice to hear some of Burke's opinions on the various things.

How come Burke has to go out to Toronto to get these answers out of him, on Jagr, trade deadline etc? I can't recall last time I've heard him speak on a broadcast here, or had even a quote in the local paper. If he has, certainly nothing of an extended nature such as this.

I know he has a relationship with the media there etc but is everyone in the media here too intimidated to chat with him and get him on record?
Because even know he bought a house here he's rarely in it, He spends far more time in Toronto than here.

Ken King should be fired for hiring a $3 million a year part time mouth piece who really does nothing for the team that can be seen
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #273
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there really a downside in letting Jagr get healthy and then keep him around for depth?
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #274
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Is there really a downside in letting Jagr get healthy and then keep him around for depth?
If it takes a month or more to get healthy --- total guess

It could take another month or more at least to get him in game shape.

I doubt there is any option to use him for a depth forward

It seems the best solution is to allow the player to choose the next step, which could be retirement etc...
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #275
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be open to having Jagr take his time, get game ready and in shape for the playoff push near the end. Injuries will happen and having him in the wings way be a blessing.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #276
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Ken King should be fired for hiring a $3 million a year part time mouth piece who really does nothing for the team that can be seen
You'd rather have Treliving report to King or to seek King's input on hockey decisions? No thanks.

Just fire King and give more of his responsibilities to Burke.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:27 AM   #277
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends on the timeline for his injury.

The issue I have is if this is something where he is good one week and shut down for another than we get a prospect like Mangipane who is yo-yoing between AHL and NHL when I think he has shown he is a valuable asset on the 4th line.

Jagr doesn't quite seem to fit on the 4th line. I think Brouwer and Stajan have been really good in the last couple months, specifically killing penalties (team is 3rd in the league since the 16th).
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #278
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because even know he bought a house here he's rarely in it, He spends far more time in Toronto than here.

Trelivng is here because of Burke. Burke is also in Calgary quite often but speaks to business folks at luncheons and what not.

I am glad Burke isn’t on the radio or tv talking about the Flames more than 3-4 Times a year.

If Burke wasn’t here then Ken King is still the guy hiring te GM. His last hire of Feaster was terrible
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #279
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Where does this 3 Million figure come from? That seems way off.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #280
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelow View Post
Where does this 3 Million figure come from? That seems way off.
The only thing I’ve ever seen was that he made that as GM of the Leafs
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote