Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2018, 09:13 AM   #81
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingLonghorn View Post
How many nhl players compete in other sports? There are numerous NFL players who have competed in track and field Olympics and other sports. You guys are talking about skill not athleticism. Using a stick and Puck is not athletecism.
Much more succinct than my rambling we can end this thread lol.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ST20 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #82
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

So the thread ending argument is that people from many other sports can learn to play football, therefore football has the best athletes? Lol indeed.

Also in this thread, a bizarre suggestion to look at soccer players shirtless. They look athletic more so in a manner like endurance athletes. That’s a demand I don’t think is placed as much on football players as in athletes in sports with a running clock, and wasn’t included in the guy’s definition of athleticism.

I guess the reference to track and field may hold a drop or two of water only in that the winner of the decathlon is considered the greatest athlete in the world, yes?
This would involve 100 metres, Long jump, Shot put, High jump, 400 metres, 110 metres hurdles, Discus throw, Pole vault, Javelin throw, 1500 metres. I don’t expect many professional athletes would do great in all of these areas.

As far as athletes competing in other sports, anyone who has seen “Shaq vs.” must know the bar has been set

Although I don’t think Shaq strapped on the skates in Shaq vs. Maybe I’m wrong.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #83
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The fact that many others can play the sport is kind of the point. When more people can do something because it is more accessible or more natural with the way humans move then you physical attributes (e.g. size, strength, cardio, etc.) become the biggest differentiating factors.

To be a high end NBA, NFL, or Soccer player you have to be skilled at the sport that is accessible to most people AND you have to be more physically gifted compared to the regular person. Other sports have a much larger talent pool to choose given their popularity compared to Hockey and given that they are much more accessible (cheaper) to get into for the population.

With respect to the physical appearance thing... were all adults here... We've been in a gym, watch men fight shirtless in boxing, MMA and other sporting arenas. It's not bizarre to look at someone and recognize that this person looks more athletic than another person. This can be misleading since some of the most muscular people in the world have the worst endurance but it is another data point to consider.

This isn't a knock on hockey, I actually thing it's a compliment to say that hockey is much more than a person's athletic ability. Also, we kind of went off topic from the original post so I'll stop lol. No - Jalen Ramsey cannot play in the NHL after 8 months of training,
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #84
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I will say the NHL needs more personalities with cockiness and swagger like Ramsey.
Then people complain it is showboating, immature, etc...
Old 09-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #85
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Big talk...no action.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #86
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
NFL is by far the most athletic sports league in the world. NFL players are athletically superior to NHL players. I don't think anyone can dispute that.

However, hockey requires more skill than athleticism. No amount of athleticism can overcome the decades of practice a NHL player needs to reach that level.

Likewise, no amount of training will turn you into a top level NFL athlete. (We're talking the very top echelon here) The very best are, quite literally, genetically superior to the rest of us.

I have no doubt in my mind that if these top level NFL athletes had chosen hockey over football they would absolutely dominate the NHL today. But you're not erasing a 15 year skill gap in less than a year, no matter how athletic you are.
Wow. I guess Jimmy the Greek isn't dead. He's right here on CP!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:27 PM   #87
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Although I don’t think Shaq strapped on the skates in Shaq vs. Maybe I’m wrong.
They couldn't get two sledge hockey sleds that were the same size for him to wear as skates.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #88
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

People are always saying their grandmother can outplay some players, so I'm sure an NFL player could step in no problem.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #89
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
Then people complain it is showboating, immature, etc...
That's okay. It's still a good thing because it brings attention to the athlete and sport. You need villains and the NBA is successful more because of the soap opera stuff off the court more than the actual game.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2018, 05:47 PM   #90
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
How many nhl players compete in other sports? There are numerous NFL players who have competed in track and field Olympics and other sports. You guys are talking about skill not athleticism. Using a stick and Puck is not athletecism.

http://www.shuswapminorlacrosse.com/hockey-vs-lacrosse/
Old 09-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #91
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did they play it in a top league professional level? There are NFL players who have competed in the Olympics and made millions in a second sport. I play soccer and basketball, but that doesn't really mean I'm as athletic as Deion Sanders.

Last edited by FlamingLonghorn; 09-04-2018 at 08:32 AM.
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:08 AM   #92
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Did they play it in a top league professional level? There are NFL players who have competed in the Olympics and made millions in a second sport. I play soccer and basketball, but that doesn't really mean I'm as athletic as Deion Sanders.
Weren't Roberts and Nieuwendyk the top two lacrosse players in Canada?
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote