Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #61
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those wondering about age as a factor for top D men, you should fiddle around with this website.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/play...l-players.html

This should give some indication of comparable of D man performance age by age. Lots have played well, past the age of 34 but only a few from this era of hockey (2012 lock out and beyond) Notable mentions are Chara, Beauchemin, Markov, Streit, Timonen, and Boyle. Given those players performances after the age of 34, it should contextualize what we can expect from Gio in the next 4 seasons.

Edit:

To contextualize which D men over the age of 34 remain in the league ( have contracts) here is a list of them. Zdeno Chara (41) Brooks Orpik (37) Niklas Kronwall (37) Ron Hainsey (37) Deryk Engelland (36) Andy Greene (35) Dan Hamhuis (35) Duncan Keith (35). In total 8 D-men are entering the 2017-18 season with contracts.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/a...ge/all/defense

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 08-28-2018 at 01:38 PM.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #62
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Age has to be a factor, there is little doubt.

At least the contract is averaging to be money. The man has gone the first two years elite and underpaid, and even if he steps down now he'll be underpaid this year, maybe evenly paid next year, and then over paid slightly and perhaps a bit of an anchor to round out.

Visually I see it as ...

+1
+2.5

Value
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #63
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brodano will be fine, and honestly if Brodie has to play down with Hamonic again they were getting better towards the end of the year so maybe it'll be ok.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:52 PM   #64
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

At least the contract is averaging to be money. The man has gone the first two years elite and underpaid, and even if he steps down now he'll be underpaid this year, maybe evenly paid next year, and then over paid slightly and perhaps a bit of an anchor to round out.

Visually I see it as ...

+1
+2.5

Value
Probably the best contract comparison is Chara's. He signed a new deal for when he was 34 at an AV of $6,916,667, this contract brought him to 40 years old ( where I think the same contract was adjusted to 4M?). Either way Chara's contract was larger and for an older player than Gio, and the Bruins were never crippled by it. In fact they still got decent value out of the deal. If this holds true for Gio than the Flames should come out looking good.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #65
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Visually I see it as ...

+1
+2.5

Value
To add to this - he's also being underpaid when the cap is lower and thus cap efficiency is a lot more important. In 5 years, when the cap is inevitably higher, I don't think being overpaid would be as much of a hindrance than if he was $2MM overpaid right now.
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #66
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said it all of last season - I would choose to keep Brodie over Hamilton every time. Brodie has been shown to be such a game changer, and he was pretty darn good defensively also. I can't wait to see him back playing more comfortable again. 2nd most dynamic player on the team next to Gaudreau IMO.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #67
SirPsychoSexy
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Hanimonic

Kuldersson

Andermaki
Hanimonic (do do do do do)

SirPsychoSexy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SirPsychoSexy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #68
simonarea
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I hope someone steps up and Brodie gets bumped down
He is NOT a good d-man...
He had one good year at +15.... prone to crucial mistakes, no physical presence... what the hay. I dont get why he gets so much love
Overrated much?
simonarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #69
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonarea View Post
He had one good year at +15.... prone to crucial mistakes, no physical presence... what the hay. I dont get why he gets so much love
Overrated much?
Because prior to the last two years when he was forced to play his non-preferred side by a stubborn coach, he was an absolute stud.
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePrince For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 06:33 PM   #70
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonarea View Post
Overrated much?
It says you’ve been a member since 2004 which I’m assuming means that you’ve been a Flames fan since at least then. Perhaps you took a few years off of watching and missed the part where Brodie was actually hella good??
Old 08-28-2018, 06:36 PM   #71
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

simonarea doesn't remember before Gulutzan came and messed up a good thing. It was at the time a toss up on here between Gaudreau and Brodie being the most important player on the team.

Now Brodie may not be as versatile as we thought and may require the right circumstance to thrive (being on the off side), but I remember him skating stride for stride with mcdavid when he came into the league and that's what he's capable of, along with elite backhand passing and shooting (hence the off side preference). A bit of enigma but when in his element is top pairing quality.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #72
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Brodano will be fine, and honestly if Brodie has to play down with Hamonic again they were getting better towards the end of the year so maybe it'll be ok.
If Brodie gets bumped off the first pairing he'll probably play with Hanifin and Hamonic gets bumped up. Barring injury trouble I think we've seen the last of Brodie - Hamonic.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #73
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---Hatrick--- View Post
It says you’ve been a member since 2004 which I’m assuming means that you’ve been a Flames fan since at least then. Perhaps you took a few years off of watching and missed the part where Brodie was actually hella good??
Good to the point that he was considered our best dman and was often getting thrown into top 10 dman conversation s league wide. Brodie was absolutely lights out before Gully.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #74
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie was in the Olympic conversation in 2014

Unfortunately, Babcock and company came to Calgary to scout a game and Brodie and the Flames stunk the place out. I am not trying to suggest that the decision was made on one game, but it couldn't have helped.

Regardless, the fact remains that he was considered for the Olympic team.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:49 PM   #75
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Out of curiosity who do you think has a better shot at having a bounce back season next year? Brodie or Bennett? Bennett had a fine rookie season for a 4th overall pick but took a big step back in his 2 years under Gulutzan. It is clear he will be a winger under Peters and this is a huge season for him. Brodie looked like a top 10 Dman in the league in 14-15. He took a huge step back switching to the left side under Gulutzan and without Gio. Interesting to see if he bounces back next year.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:54 PM   #76
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Out of curiosity who do you think has a better shot at having a bounce back season next year? Brodie or Bennett? Bennett had a fine rookie season for a 4th overall pick but took a big step back in his 2 years under Gulutzan. It is clear he will be a winger under Peters and this is a huge season for him. Brodie looked like a top 10 Dman in the league in 14-15. He took a huge step back switching to the left side under Gulutzan and without Gio. Interesting to see if he bounces back next year.
If I was putting money on it I would go with Brodie having the bigger bounce back.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:27 PM   #77
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think both will have bounce back years. All signs point to Brodie and Gio being reunited and if it goes well, hopefully we see them back in 2014/15 form or at least close to it.
It sounds like with the depth they have added, Bennett will have some better line mates this season. Not saying he will go crack 50 points but I don’t think an improvement on last season is out of the question.
So both have bounce back years, but Brodie’s being more significant.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:28 PM   #78
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Brodie played at his highest level when the team relied on the D to be the engine of the team. Countless times team officials said that in 2014-15. Brodie and Russell, with their skating ability powered the team.

I’m excited to see how Brodie and Hanifin (and hopefully Kulak) can do that as I think Peters wants the D to drive play when possible.

Brodie’s issues recently were rooted in the tactical changes (D to Do and pass up, rather than skating or quick transition). I see a huge year and hopefully a shutting up of his detractors.

His ability didn’t go away at 27-28 years old. Get him skating, up leading the rush, skating back hard just getting into his rhythm and flow and just watch. I’m expecting the offence to explode because there will be a dynamic quality to the attack and it will start from the back end.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post: