Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:
Default CBC Announces Broadcast Team

Quote:
The broadcast team accounts for more than 200 combined Olympic Games appearances as athletes and broadcasters, with the athletes having tallied nearly 30 Olympic Games medals, more than 220 World Cup medals and more than 83 World Championship medals. Athletes spanning winter and summer sports will bring the unique perspective of individuals who have experienced the thrill, intensity and pressure of the Olympic Games first-hand. The group also includes veteran broadcasters from across the world of high-performance sport including the iconic Steve Armitage who returns for his sixteenth Olympic Games broadcast.

Joining CBC’s five Olympic Games hosts are well-known names from the world of sport and broadcast including: two-time Olympic Games ice hockey gold medallist Cassie Campbell-Pascall; four-time world and national figure skating champion Kurt Browning; Olympic Games freestyle moguls champion (Torino 2006) and two-time medallist Jennifer Heil; 2010 skeleton gold medallist Jon Montgomery; Olympian and World Champion Perdita Felicien; and Canada’s only Olympic Games gold medal-winning downhill skier Kerrin Lee-Gartner, among many others
http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/press-...-reporters-for

Excited to hear Chris Cuthbert calling Olympic hockey again, and also interested to hear Alexei Yashin as an analyst for the hockey events.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

looking up and down the list that is an amazing team.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/mediacentre/press-...-reporters-for

Excited to hear Chris Cuthbert calling Olympic hockey again, and also interested to hear Alexei Yashin as an analyst for the hockey events.
"Holy crap! These guys suck!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never considered until now- when was the last olympics where it wasnt Ron Maclean or Brian Williams hosting the Canadian coverage? Too bad, I always enjoyed them both as hosts, particularly Williams.

Edit- just looked it up: 1976

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 02-08-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #5
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I really like Kurt Browning's coverage of the skating
(I'm also biased, as I met him a lot when I was a kid)

Also, Steve Armitage has to do speed skating. It's a law I think

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 02-08-2018 at 07:56 PM.
MRCboicgy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 02:29 AM   #6
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Alexei Yashin???
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 PM   #7
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

With the games winding down how did everybody feel about the broadcasting for these games?

I really liked the combo of Mark Lee and Cassie Campbell-Pascall calling the Women's Hockey games, they did an excellent job. I really liked Craig McMorris calling the Snowboarding events, but I wasn't a fan of Olympic Overnight, it just felt like him and Kelly VanderBeek never clicked. Loved Matt Cullen and the commentators that he worked with in Freestyle Skiing.

Ferraro sucked IMO, Alexei Yashin didn't add nearly as much insight as I was hoping for.
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2018, 10:37 PM   #8
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Though he did fine, didn’t really care for Despatie hosting.
McMorris is probably better solo, or someone not quite as prim and proper as Vanderbeek.

The time change really compartmentalized the presentation. The historical prime time show would probably would have had Russell and someone else host and a lot more live interviews and features. So the studio shows seem to lack a whole lot of importance and talking about Olympic news and issues and aforementioned interviews...it’s just a setup for whatever next venue is next or the usual review of earlier day highlights.

Instead, it’s all onto the events from 6pm to 6am and the downtime and when you can talk to athletes it’s the middle of the night in North America and middle of the day in North America is middle of night in Korea.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:43 PM   #9
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The curling commentary was terrible. Mike Harris comes off so incredibly dumb, Joan McCusker is passable but the other guy seemed dumb but not as dumb as Harris.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:51 PM   #10
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had been folllowing many of the nbc streams for things like curling. No commentary or one person (clearly not American) and you never learn who they are. I have really enjoyed that.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:32 AM   #11
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I felt the coverage this Games felt a bit thin. While good in terms of access and breadth of sports, I felt the presentation and personalities lacked depth. I miss those days where guys like Brian Williams would do some in-depth storytelling of athletes or the local culture and area. The Olympics in many ways are a learning opportunity about the country and people who are holding the games....I'm not sure I really saw one story about Korea.

But oh child, things are gonna get easier...
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 12:40 AM   #12
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Only watched event streams, so I have no opinion of the hosts, but of the commentators, McMorris seemed out of place. Too much silly banter, and he seemed shocked by every jump.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:57 AM   #13
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Craig McMorris seemed like a slightly creepy doofus to me.

He was a bit creepy in the segment with Tessa Virtue at the Musee des Beaux Arts in Montreal where he was a little handsy and you could tell she didn't warm to or reciprocate the physical contact, and again creepy in a segment with Kelly VanderBeek where she takes off a couple layers of jackets and he makes a comment suggesting she's going to keep stripping.

On the doofus side of things, his event calls are nowhere near the calibre of a seasoned vet like Steve Armitage but they aren't even as good as your typical recently retired athlete moonlighting for two weeks with the CBC during the Olympics. Someone needs to hit him with a stick every time he sets up some superlative with "I'm not going to lie"... or at least make a drinking game out of it with nothing stronger than a light beer.

On a positive note, I really liked Mark Lee and Cassie Campbell-Pascall.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:00 AM   #14
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
With the games winding down how did everybody feel about the broadcasting for these games?

I really liked the combo of Mark Lee and Cassie Campbell-Pascall calling the Women's Hockey games, they did an excellent job. I really liked Craig McMorris calling the Snowboarding events, but I wasn't a fan of Olympic Overnight, it just felt like him and Kelly VanderBeek never clicked. Loved Matt Cullen and the commentators that he worked with in Freestyle Skiing.

Ferraro sucked IMO, Alexei Yashin didn't add nearly as much insight as I was hoping for.
How can you forget Steve Armitage calling speed skating , that was the bees knees.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarybornnraised For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 01:02 AM   #15
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
How can you forget Steve Armitage calling speed skating , that was the bees knees.
It should just go without saying that he was great! I missed him calling swimming in Rio (not that Friedman was bad, despite the one major screw up), can’t wait to hear him calling races in Tokyo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 01:11 AM   #16
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I should also have mentioned in my previous post that I really enjoyed the figure skating commentary, there were a few moments that I thought they talked too much, but overall I really enjoyed them. Especially Kurt Browning, he provided excellent insight
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 01:33 AM   #17
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It should just go without saying that he was great! I missed him calling swimming in Rio (not that Friedman was bad, despite the one major screw up), can’t wait to hear him calling races in Tokyo
I know, I just missed him. His deep baritone voice getting all excited especially for Canadians is one of those Canadian Olympic memories we all remember.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarybornnraised For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 07:49 AM   #18
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Honestly, I felt the coverage this Games felt a bit thin. While good in terms of access and breadth of sports, I felt the presentation and personalities lacked depth. I miss those days where guys like Brian Williams would do some in-depth storytelling of athletes or the local culture and area. The Olympics in many ways are a learning opportunity about the country and people who are holding the games....I'm not sure I really saw one story about Korea.

But oh child, things are gonna get easier...
They tried to do a lot of short "specials" to highlight Korea and it's culture with the girl from Kim's Convenience. I saw a few and they were horribly done pieces with little to no insight and were too short to provide a meaningful glimpse into Korea.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #19
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another thing, I’ve always found that CBC coverage is very light on news surrounding the games in general. There has to be lots of stories around stuff going on around the region, logistics, human interest stories, things that grow out of the thousands of people as visitors enter the city funny stories from the venues or athletes village etc etc. With tens of thousands of people there has to be all sorts of interesting tidbits that would give a flavour to the games.

Maybe it’s an IOC TV broadcasting restriction thing because you’d think someone like CBC would want to have some of that news on TV to supplement the endless highlights of hours old results, especially in the social media universe where there even more instant availability to some of those quirky or interesting stories to add said flavour.

Last edited by browna; 02-24-2018 at 08:19 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #20
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:

I am a huge Mark Lee fan, though I think the majority on CP dislike him, so I was ecstatic to see him calling the Women's hockey games.

Craig McMorris was awesome for the snowboarding.

I liked the curling commentary team.

I liked them all! MORE OLYMPICS PLEASE!!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote