Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #5701
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Say whaaaaaaaa?
Haha come on now. I'm obviously joking. Guess I'm underselling his icing and hitting from behind abilities. Top 2?

God I hate Polak.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #5702
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Pretty sure it's a joke. I was listening to the fan this morning and everyone outside of leafs management HATES Polak, but they were saying Babcock doesn't care what anyone thinks, Polak is a Babcock guy. I'm guessing he's their Bartkowski.
Yep. Even the media who never calls out Babcock has started to openly question Babcock and how much he is playing Polak.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #5703
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

With all this Leaf talk in here, just thought I'd mention that the Flames have passed the Leafs in the standings.

Also, Brodie being a broken defenseman... lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #5704
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am really hoping we actually do nothing trade wise. This group seems to be finally clicking nicely and unless you can fleece someone in a no brainer trade I say hold the fort.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 07:14 PM   #5705
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

HNIC:

Jack Johnson's trade request relates to failed contract talks with the Blue Jackets.
He is playing under 20 minutes per game for the first time in his career.
Hoping to get traded to someplace he can sign an extension

Canadians are still interested in Pierre-Luc Dubois.
Habs tried to move up in the draft to get him.
Kypreos: Dubois' stock with Blue Jackets has increased but not to the point where he is untouchable.
Columbus might start entertaining the idea of trading Dubois once Wennberg and Dubinsky get back in the line up.
Their window to win is this year and next and then they have to make some decisions.
Friedman: not sure if it gets them Dubois, but Columbus has had interest in Galcheynuk in the past

Dorion prefers to be patient and wait before flipping assets like Hoffman, Smith, and Pageau

Tampa thought they lost Hedman for the rest of the season, ecstatic when they didn't.
Prior to Hedman's injury, Yzerman got a lot of calls on Koekkoek
Boston was interested. Ottawa talked about maybe a swap for Ceci.
Decision not to trade Koekkoek looks smart now with the Hedman injury.

Rangers ready to listen on Nash, Grabner, Desharnais, Zucarello, McDonaugh. No guarantees they do anything

SJ is trying to move Paul Martin (1 yr $4.85 mil cap hit left) and there are people who believe he can help someone
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 07:31 PM   #5706
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was more inclined to stand pat when things weren’t looking great. Now that team has shown of what they’re capable, I’d like to see some secondary scoring help. No team is quite as good as they appear during a streak and we know the first line will cool off. A forward who can help fill the net would still be a welcome addition.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #5707
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I was more inclined to stand pat when things weren’t looking great. Now that team has shown of what they’re capable, I’d like to see some secondary scoring help. No team is quite as good as they appear during a streak and we know the first line will cool off. A forward who can help fill the net would still be a welcome addition.
Keep in mind this streak is coming while the Flames are without Versteeg, Frolik, and Jagr. Those are some pretty prolific depth forwards who could be valuable down the stretch.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #5708
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be mildly interested in Nash, but I'm reality, there's no way I would want us to give up what it would require.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #5709
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Keep in mind this streak is coming while the Flames are without Versteeg, Frolik, and Jagr. Those are some pretty prolific depth forwards who could be valuable down the stretch.
Agree about Frolik and Versteeg. Getting them back will be like an addition but other injuries will happen. I still think the team could use more scoring up front as this team had a hard time winning when the first line was cold. And that was with those players around.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #5710
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If the Rangers are listening to offers on their pending UFAs, maybe they're also willing to trade Kevin Hayes. I think he's a pending RFA.

I know his name has popped up a few times in proposals on here, but maybe now's the time to get a deal done. Only 18 pts this season so they might consider trading him. Pretty solid secondary scoring option.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #5711
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Acquisition cost is the big question.

in hamonic and hamilton alone, Calgary gave up 2 first and 4 seconds, plus a 2nd for lazar...

not sure what assets calgary has to give up to get another scoring winger without possibly disrupting the chemistry this team has built up...especially a winger that can make a difference, as that will undoubtedly cost you a Brodie to do it.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #5712
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who on the roster needs to be upgraded? Guys like Hayes or Nash would be nice but where do they fit? At this point I wouldn't take Ferland off the top line unless you get an amazing player. Janko, Bennett and Hathaway are playing really well and I actually like how Brouwer has looked with Backlund and Tkachuk. Frolik and Versteeg still have to come back and be added to the roster too. If you add someone, who do they replace?
Old 01-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #5713
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You gotta think 2 straight years of strong AHL numbers and now showing well in the NHL has really increased Mangiapane's stock.

Not that I want to trade him, but this team is built (supposed to) to win now and stands a better chance of doing that with a guy like Hoffman as opposed to Mangiapane over the next 3 seasons. Hoffman is kind of what you want Mangiapane to become eventually, but you'd be getting that right now while the D is in tact and we actually have a proven starting goalie.

It'd take more than Mangiapane to get it done obviously, but it'd be worth considering if the opportunity were to arise.

No rentals please, but a trade for a guy who is under contract and can help for multiple years might be OK.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #5714
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
You gotta think 2 straight years of strong AHL numbers and now showing well in the NHL has really increased Mangiapane's stock.

Not that I want to trade him, but this team is built (supposed to) to win now and stands a better chance of doing that with a guy like Hoffman as opposed to Mangiapane over the next 3 seasons. Hoffman is kind of what you want Mangiapane to become eventually, but you'd be getting that right now while the D is in tact and we actually have a proven starting goalie.

It'd take more than Mangiapane to get it done obviously, but it'd be worth considering if the opportunity were to arise.

No rentals please, but a trade for a guy who is under contract and can help for multiple years might be OK.
well the ask for Kane is currently a 1st, a top prospect and a conditional second if Kane resigns with that team.

so a 1st and a top prospect for a rental....

Hoffman is a better player than Kane is, so the price is at least that.

Calgary has no first to give thankfully, so that kind of trade is pretty much unavailable to Calgary unless they are making multiple deals to compile a package...

hopefully not
Old 01-14-2018, 01:58 AM   #5715
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If Pageau is available, he is a guy that could be really useful for Calgary and wouldn't be as expensive as guys like Hoffman or Pacioretty.

Pageau is a RHS C, who can play the wing. He would be really nice insurance if a a center goes down during the stretch run. He would bring a little more skill to the 3rd line than Hathway. He is signed for 2 more seasons after this at $3.1m, so if Backlund becomes too expensive to bring back after this season we would have Pageau as insurance. He also played really well for Ottawa in the playoffs last year. He is also good on the PK. It would also be nice to have a RHS to take faceoffs when needed.

IMO Pageau checks a lot of boxes for this team.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #5716
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Montreal would have to overpay substantially for Dubois. Personally I would put his potential impact at higher than Drouin.

I wouldn't doubt the initial ask would be unprotected 1st + Galcheynuk.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #5717
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sold on Pageau, smaller winger/center who just hasn't exploded like you would hope and has taken a pretty large step back this year on a team that is playing poorly. A fresh start might be just what the doctor ordered but it he could continue to disappoint and prove to be a flash in the pan type player.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #5718
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given a good stretch of time these lines have shown success, I'm hesitant to mess with the top 6.

The rest, however, is up in the air. The Bennett - Jankowski - Hathway line has been a ton of fun to watch, but if we can add a sniper like Hoffman to that line there's potential for an unbelievably dangerous top 9.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Hoffman - Jankowski - Bennett
Lomberg - Lazar - Hathaway

Mangiapane down, Stajan gone and Brouwer gone... somehow.

This is all saying that Hoffman can be had without giving up anyone penciled in on that roster.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #5719
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Montreal would have to overpay substantially for Dubois. Personally I would put his potential impact at higher than Drouin.

I wouldn't doubt the initial ask would be unprotected 1st + Galcheynuk.
What about Pacioretty And Galchenyuk for Johnson and Dubois?

Maybe Montreal kicks in a 2nd if Johnson re-signs or is traded again at the deadline?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:26 AM   #5720
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see Toby Reider is at the end of his contract this year. Held out prior to his last 2 year deal. Not sure if he is still an RFA or UFA, but I've always liked him.
Closed Thread