Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2020, 11:26 AM   #2441
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Ok, done the first one. That was pretty quick... probably 30ish hours of game time. My thoughts are, in a word, "charming". A really good old school JRPG. The characters are pretty standard JRPG fare, but other than maybe Olivier, they have enough actual personality that they're not cheesy. I certainly didn't actively dislike any of them, and (other than the two principals) because they come and go, they never have a chance to wear out their welcome. If anyone had the potential to be an obnoxious JRPG protagonist it's Estelle, but because of the sheer volume of dialogue in the game and its generally lighthearted tone, she usually just ends up being endearing. That extra writing in the English translation is pretty much what makes the game, I think. It doesn't have that "ESL" feel that every Final Fantasy game has. I read a review beforehand that suggested that it was too much - that the game takes a hundred words to say what could be said in ten - and that is simply not the case. If you're going to do a text-based RPG, this is the right way to write dialogue. I haven't ever seen a game do that aspect quite so well.

Story-wise,
Spoiler!

Ultimately, it felt like the whole game is less about the game's story and more about world-building, and that's fine. The music was good, nothing too outstanding, but did the job. Combat is solid, again, nothing blowing me away - it wasn't a situation where I was looking forward to getting into my next fight to try out a new skill or new weapon or a new spell, but it also wasn't exasperating (I think having visible on-screen encounters a la Chrono Trigger rather than FF-style random battles is helpful in that regard). I don't think I could really give it a score out of ten, because I don't think it's a stand-alone product. And that's fine, it doesn't claim to be, it's just the first chapter.

I did this, and I found that these quests were really pretty meaningless. There were a couple that were sort of interesting I guess, potentially important going forward, but the rest... well, helping decorate for the festival or finding books for a librarian doesn't seem like it'll have any payoff, frankly. Maybe you meant this to apply to SC or Third?
The thing is, the Trails series spans so many games (3 Trials in the Sky, 2 Trails of Azure, and 4 Trails of Cold Steel), they introduce A LOT of characters and plot points. It can get pretty overwhelming, especially with so many loose ends that get tied up in subsequent games only to introduce even more loose ends.

Overall, the store is pretty epic in that it spans multiple locations across the continent. The dialogue does get pretty cheesy (especially in Trials of Cold Steel, when they introduce the "high school is the greatest! everything after that is pretty much downhill" anime trope), so you get a lot of cheese. But as an anime fan, I'm pretty used to it.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #2442
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
It's one of the best sports games I've ever played - so much content, and so much to do in it.
I really wish that for NHL EA would adopt from them how you have the ability to import your Franchise Mode or Be a Pro mode from the previous game into the new game. It sucks having to start over every single year.

I play it in spurts so I'm really only able to get through one full season a year in franchise mode.

One thing I wish they would add in MLB though is being able to import rookies into your franchise mode even if that means replacing a fake prospect with them. I know you can edit players to make them into anyone you want but unless they changed it this year you cant import already made faces so you're stuck trying to recreate them and they never look as good as their actual in-game face.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #2443
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I really wish that for NHL EA would adopt from them how you have the ability to import your Franchise Mode or Be a Pro mode from the previous game into the new game. It sucks having to start over every single year.

I play it in spurts so I'm really only able to get through one full season a year in franchise mode.

One thing I wish they would add in MLB though is being able to import rookies into your franchise mode even if that means replacing a fake prospect with them. I know you can edit players to make them into anyone you want but unless they changed it this year you cant import already made faces so you're stuck trying to recreate them and they never look as good as their actual in-game face.
I agree. That would be a great feature. I'm really glad that The Show has it. Happy for XBOX fans next year - they get to play some good baseball on their system as well!

I actually used to play MLB The Show, but only ever played RTTS (and made it super easy with sliders). I don't think I ever played an actual game in my life.

It's a whole new game when you're trying to work counts, sense patterns, manufacture runs as a team, instead of just crushing dingers to left field.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #2444
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Bah Ghost got pushed to 7/17. Nioh 2’s down to 39.99 in the PlayStation store at least that’ll keep me busy.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #2445
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
The thing is, the Trails series spans so many games (3 Trials in the Sky, 2 Trails of Azure, and 4 Trails of Cold Steel), they introduce A LOT of characters and plot points. It can get pretty overwhelming, especially with so many loose ends that get tied up in subsequent games only to introduce even more loose ends.
Yeah that's pretty much what I'm here for, even though I'm resigned to the inevitable reality that some of them are going to be less well executed than others. I'm like 10 hours into Trails SC, and I'm actually really liking the "evolution" voice acting, it's kind of like watching a subbed anime. The extent of the voice acting remains impressive, it's basically every interaction that has any plot importance plus all interactions with important NPCs.
Quote:
Overall, the store is pretty epic in that it spans multiple locations across the continent. The dialogue does get pretty cheesy (especially in Trials of Cold Steel, when they introduce the "high school is the greatest! everything after that is pretty much downhill" anime trope), so you get a lot of cheese. But as an anime fan, I'm pretty used to it.
Hm. I'm not finding the first game and a bit to be very cheesy, outside of Estelle, and even she isn't that terrible. Just cliche a lot of the time. As you say, kind of "anime cheesy", and even that is blunted by the lighthearted tone of the games so far. I've seen far, far worse in video games... hell, most FF writing is a lot cheesier than this, while taking itself far more seriously. But I suppose I will see in a few hundred game-hours when I get to the Cold Steel games.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:32 PM   #2446
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah that's pretty much what I'm here for, even though I'm resigned to the inevitable reality that some of them are going to be less well executed than others. I'm like 10 hours into Trails SC, and I'm actually really liking the "evolution" voice acting, it's kind of like watching a subbed anime. The extent of the voice acting remains impressive, it's basically every interaction that has any plot importance plus all interactions with important NPCs.

Hm. I'm not finding the first game and a bit to be very cheesy, outside of Estelle, and even she isn't that terrible. Just cliche a lot of the time. As you say, kind of "anime cheesy", and even that is blunted by the lighthearted tone of the games so far. I've seen far, far worse in video games... hell, most FF writing is a lot cheesier than this, while taking itself far more seriously. But I suppose I will see in a few hundred game-hours when I get to the Cold Steel games.
Maybe it's Cold Steel that got to me, but I agree with with you with Sky, I thought the localization did a fantastic job for that game. I really like Estelle as a main character. Rean (the Cold Steel MC), I'm kind of on the fence on. Still can't wait for Cold Steel 4 to come out this fall to hopefully wrap up the story nicely.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #2447
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Civilization VI is Epic Games free game of the week for May 21-28. Will be unlocked in 30 mins.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...validated=true

The rumored upcoming games are Borderlands - The Handsome Collection - May 28 to June 4 and Ark Survival Evolved - June 4 to June 11.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #2448
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Civilization VI is Epic Games free game of the week for May 21-28. Will be unlocked in 30 mins.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...validated=true

The rumored upcoming games are Borderlands - The Handsome Collection - May 28 to June 4 and Ark Survival Evolved - June 4 to June 11.
I've always wanted to try Civ and Ark, I'll have to grab them
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #2449
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Bah Ghost got pushed to 7/17. Nioh 2’s down to 39.99 in the PlayStation store at least that’ll keep me busy.
Nioh 2 will keep you busy for a long time. It's a massive game that will take you well over 70 hours if you complete side missions. I'm near the end but hit some issues in that the Tonfa while perfect for beating down enemies in the first 3/4 of the game are not powerful enough for the final bosses nor does it have the distance required when you are facine one hit deaths. Very difficult game. Fun but difficult and well worth $39.99 for the amount of gameplay it provides.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #2450
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I just downloaded the early release of Space Haven this morning from Steam for $25 bucks. I'm looking forward to a new game of building a ship, deciding on a role and terrorizing the galaxy.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #2451
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Epic is also having a sale and I got a $14 coupon somehow for any game over $20 (not sure if everyone gets one), so I tried out What the Golf which has a Katamari Damacy feel, fun so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #2452
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Epic is also having a sale and I got a $14 coupon somehow for any game over $20 (not sure if everyone gets one), so I tried out What the Golf which has a Katamari Damacy feel, fun so far.
I got the same coupon and it's reusable. I bought a few games that were already on sale for 50% off and saved a boatload.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #2453
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got no such coupon. Did they email it to you?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #2454
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
I got no such coupon. Did they email it to you?
I don't think so. It's tied to my account so whenever I checkout it's automatically applied.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #2455
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, I figured it out. It only applies if the game would be over $20 after the coupon is applied. It doesn't apply if the game is over $20 before the coupon is applied. That's why it didn't show up for me.

EDIT: Nevermind. It worked on a game that was $26 (ACO, which is worth 12 bucks I figure). So why won't it work on a game that's $20.69? Weird.

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 05-21-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:34 PM   #2456
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked up gta5 last week and civilization this week I have no idea if I will ever get to play them but hey they were free
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:25 AM   #2457
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I started playing Space Haven and I'd really recommend it. Its a lot of fun and pretty well done, though in the early realease there are features still to come.

The tutorial is nice. But there are two scenarios right now.

In the first one you and your crew of four start on a mining base, and you have to gather and harvest and start building your ship from the ground up.

The second scenario you have a really basic ship, like no engines or weapons or anything but a big old power plant, a shuttle and 2 mining pods. From there you start installing components around environmental controls, food and water production, creature comforts, engines navigation, weapons, sensors and a ton of other stuff.

There are a few ways to get the components from building materials to life giving things like water and medicine and guns.

You can mine asteroids

You can salvage dead ships (Or live ones depending on your roles
You can trade.

To go with that you can kind of design your ship around different roles

You can be military, which means you go around killing pirates and aliens. More about those bastards in a minute
You can be a pirate and shoot up ships and salvage the derelicts
You can be a miner
You can just be a trader. You don't even need to build a ship, you can just build a trading post. Lots of choices.

The learning curve is deep, everything from dealing with limited space and resources, and dropping the ball can be fatal. I build my ship and thought I had it under control, and had a pretty cool ship, but I jumped to another system and started salvaging wrecks and when I came back to the ship I was having power failures. I had run out of energy rods and didn't have the materials to make more so I thought I would jump to another system but my hyperdrive won't spin up.

I also got cocky and sent two crewmen to explore a derelict so I could decide if I wanted to salvage it. But I walked in and the ship was infested by aliens. These things were crab like, and fast and nasty, and they grabbed one of my guys and we tracked him back to a lair and they had basically webbed him to a wall to feed on him or breed with them, since there is a queen out there. We rescued him and got him back, and I realized I hadn't built a sick bay, so he died as I frantically tried to build one for him.

Its a cool game but if you get started you'll look up and 3 or 4 hours have passed as you've been trying to figure out how to jam all of these systems into your ship and why is it -36 in the crew quarters and +30 everywhere else.

Its a lot of fun, and I think its a great game for $25 bucks.

Oh and you can build a fricken fleet of ships as well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 10:08 PM   #2458
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I picked this up and it was fun for a while, but there isn't a lot of challenge and the gimmick gets old pretty fast. I'd say I got my $8 bucks worth but I'm glad I didn't pay full price.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #2459
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the Space Haven recommendation. I haven't done anything else all weekend
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:55 PM   #2460
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You're welcome I'm restarting for about the 4th time because I've done at least one crucial mistake and been over aggressive in building my ship, so when it was time to build a engine, I was out of materials and couldn't build more because I'd strip mined the system.

But every time you start fresh, you get a little better at it.

Oh and Water, and Energy rods are king.

And when you build certain things be careful to read the description. The farms and the industrial stuff almost need to be in sealed room with environmental controls.