Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #1821
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't have a garburator in my condo right now and it's awful. Definitely going to put one in when I reno the kitchen - not sure why you wouldn't given the cost.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #1822
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Grab strainer by centre tab, dump in compost, put back in sink. No need to touch any "gross" food.

Not having one is hardly "cutting corners". They're also rather large and take up a fair amount of under counter space that can be better used in smaller kitchens.

The only thing I miss with not having a garburator is egg shells. Peeling hard boiled eggs without running water is the worst.
Put a mesh bowl underneath while you're peeling the eggs with the tap.

+

topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #1823
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Touching "Gross food" to put it into the compost...

Geeze some of you guys are soft.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #1824
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

But that's my point. Its a tiny expense and is a great nice to have. Of course it isn't a "huge deal" to live without one, but if you're doing a reno, why wouldn't you? Like I said, I experience the other side when I'm at family's house without one. Having to grab others' half eaten food is pretty old fashioned, even if its only once a day. Sure it isn't all that often, but if you're cleaning up after a family meal, there is a decent amount that gets caught up. We have the technology folks, use it!

Last edited by Ducay; 07-23-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #1825
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you guys that have them find they break down a lot?
Old 07-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #1826
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I don't have a garburator in my condo right now and it's awful. Definitely going to put one in when I reno the kitchen - not sure why you wouldn't given the cost.
I grew up in a house with a garburator, last house we lived in had a garburator, the new house we renovated the kitchen before we moved in, and opted against the garburator.

You said you can't think of a reason not to put one in given the cost, here was the reason why I didn't put one in.

My wife illogically said no, and it wasn't worth the fight.

For the most part the compost works well, but I sure do miss flipping the switch and having excess food just disappear.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #1827
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
The one that was in when I moved in broke about 8 years later, not sure how old it was. Only once did that one get jammed on a coffee bean(one in a million shot!) and I had to use an allan key to spin it manually to un-jam. Very easy fix. Replacing it when it seized was an easy job(once I figured out the collar was jammed in the wrong position!)
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #1828
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just don't buy the base models. The old house had a base model that worked fine, but it got jammed once in a while. The one I installed at the new house is one model up from the base and has never jammed, even after multiple Steve Buscemis.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #1829
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
If you are going to put one in, don't cheap out on it.
When renovating I always have certain things I struggle to spend extra money on. A higher end garburator was 1 of those things. Our last reno had me finally pull the trigger to see what the difference was.
1) The noise is night and day difference. You can't hear it running from the next room where the cheaper ones can shake your whole house.
2) Multiple chambers nearly liquifies the food before spitting it out (so they claim) means you should save on potential drain clogs in the future.
3) Not a huge deal but a significantly larger chamber means I run it once. I can remember the more basic ones filling up and then water backing up into the sink unless I ran it a few times throughout the cleaning process.
4) If I recall, a much better standard warranty when you spend a bit more money.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #1830
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of noise issues... I absolutely regret not insulating the walls when we did our small bathroom reno. Didn't think it was that big of a deal to replace the insulation, but man you can really hear everything now. I wonder if it would be enough to drill through the top-plates and blow in some loose insulation between the studs, or if that would even help at all.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #1831
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Painting advice needed....
You know that moment when you put on the first coat of new paint, and then your wife sees all those spots you missed from the first 3 times she asked you to mud and sand the imperfections before you primed? I'm at that stage right now.
I'm using a Behr Premium Plus that is a paint and primer in one (after doing an initial primer only coat)
Now that I've put on the first coat of paint, can I mud and sand these small blemished areas and then just throw on the final coat, or will it look bad?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #1832
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Painting advice needed....
You know that moment when you put on the first coat of new paint, and then your wife sees all those spots you missed from the first 3 times she asked you to mud and sand the imperfections before you primed? I'm at that stage right now.
I'm using a Behr Premium Plus that is a paint and primer in one (after doing an initial primer only coat)
Now that I've put on the first coat of paint, can I mud and sand these small blemished areas and then just throw on the final coat, or will it look bad?
You might find some flashing differences next to the two coat areas but perhaps the only way to know is to try one spot and see how it turns out. Sounds time consuming though waiting for all the stages to dry just for a test spot.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:04 PM   #1833
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Installed these beauties today in the garage. LED Corn bulbs (2000 Lumens.) What a difference compared to a regular bulb.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:27 PM   #1834
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration View Post
Installed these beauties today in the garage. LED Corn bulbs (2000 Lumens.) What a difference compared to a regular bulb.
Where'd you get them, and how much they cost?
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:01 AM   #1835
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default The Home Improvement Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
Where'd you get them, and how much they cost?

$30 from Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B072TYHCLN?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2018, 09:32 AM   #1836
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration View Post
That's awesome.

I don't have power running to my shed, but would like to have a light in there.

Is anyone familiar with the solar panel, led lights?

Something like so: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/no...FVKsaQodHp4Bfw

Old 07-31-2018, 12:43 PM   #1837
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have a good recommendation on someone or a company that does back-splash installation? We have tiles, but our friend who was going to install keeps pushing the estimated date back and I really just want it done.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:50 PM   #1838
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
That's awesome.

I don't have power running to my shed, but would like to have a light in there.

Is anyone familiar with the solar panel, led lights?

Something like so: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/no...FVKsaQodHp4Bfw
Haven't personally used it but in all honesty it looks pretty good. The only thing I would advise is taking the solar panel down in the winter if it's not being used. Also clean the face of the solar cell before you put it up every year with a spray of windex to keep the cell clean and charging those batteries fast.

Edit: if possible, mount it facing east. That way it will charge more in the morning/afternoon.

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 07-31-2018 at 12:52 PM.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:24 PM   #1839
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it worth it to rent a paint sprayer to paint a fence? I have a decent amount of fence to do, and rolled around a third of it last year and it is quite time consuming. So what do you say?
Old 08-06-2018, 06:00 AM   #1840
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Is it worth it to rent a paint sprayer to paint a fence? I have a decent amount of fence to do, and rolled around a third of it last year and it is quite time consuming. So what do you say?
I've never used a paint sprayer.

That said:

How much would it cost?
How much time would it save?
How much do you value your time?
What would you be doing with the time you've saved?

Lastly, I have no idea how complicated a pain sprayer is to use, can you use it effectively? (I'd imagine it's not that hard and it's likely a simple 'yes, I'm not an idiot'answer but where I don't know I wanted to also breach the question).