Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #101
bucksmasher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
I like Ryan Pinder. I think he has good takes on things especially hockey and the Flames. That said, I haven't caught the afternoon show for months, I'm talking about when he was with Boomer and Rhett in the morning but I can't imagine much has changed.

I also think he is a natural at play by play. He was great with the Heat. Would rather listen to him than Derek Wills. I wouldn't be surprised if he replaced Wills at some point down the road to be honest.
I'd rather listen to Ned Flanders than derek wills. Lubo should be calling the games
bucksmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bucksmasher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 10:33 PM   #102
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
This is gonna be tough for some people to read but “I could care less” is the correct saying.
No, it’s not.
It has become accepted, but is not the correct saying.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:46 PM   #103
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Take that CP” means devolve the thread into enjoyable haiku syllable debates, orange Julius rumours, and could we, or could we not, care less debates.

No, you take that Fan960!
Old 12-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #104
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
No, it’s not.
It has become accepted, but is not the correct saying.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/55388...ould-care-less
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #105
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
This is gonna be tough for some people to read but “I could care less” is the correct saying.
If you could care less, then you should do so.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #106
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
So much hand waving I thought the author was about to take flight. The only thing he was right about is "if enough be people do it, logic doesn't apply anymore".
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #107
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've definitely been vocal on my dislike for most of the personalities on 960 in the past, but have been surprisingly enjoying the few moments of Pinder & Steinberg I've caught over the last few months. I appreciate Pinder actually having an opinion - whether I agree with it or not. I've caught myself actually sitting in my car at my destination on at least 3 occasions because I wanted to hear how an argument between him & Wills played out (with Pat sitting contentedly on the fence with no useful input of course). A bit of conflict is interesting to me and it usually challenges my opinion. My go-to the last few years has been to stream the Fan 590 and they have JD Bunkiss (or whatever) on there with Andrew Walker. Same sorta thing - hate the guys opinion almost all the time, but love that he owns it and argues it. It's entertaining - which is what it should be.

All that said, I did have 960 on this afternoon and before a break Pinder teased something along the lines of 'this is the last time you'll hear (the show) 'Pinder & Steinberg' with it's current namesakes both on at the same time' (paraphrasing). Having not seen this thread I thought it was a mention to do with vacations or something. I guess they'll be mixing it up just as I thought it might have a chance of getting better.
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:18 PM   #108
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
So why do you bother listening?
I’ve stopped.

That’s my point.

Like many others I listen for their regular contributors like Friedman, Duhatschek, Brunt, Burke, Virk etc.

With the Flames success it’s become glaringly apparent how bankrupt their insight is. If they don’t have an easy negative topic to dance around & discuss they are pretty much clueless when it comes to providing listening value. This includes Rhett.

Not that this is surprising. They do little to no prep work or research to grow their knowledge base of the game, the team, or pro sports in general. They cherry pick & re-hash other peoples collected thoughts or research, relying on insider knowledge provided to rights holders & media & they fly by the seat of their pants. They readily & shamelessly admit it as a source of pride, especially Boomer. If you challenge them on any of this on the text line then they tell you to stop listening. So I have, along with supporting any of their advertisers.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 11:45 PM   #109
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
I've definitely been vocal on my dislike for most of the personalities on 960 in the past, but have been surprisingly enjoying the few moments of Pinder & Steinberg I've caught over the last few months. I appreciate Pinder actually having an opinion - whether I agree with it or not. I've caught myself actually sitting in my car at my destination on at least 3 occasions because I wanted to hear how an argument between him & Wills played out (with Pat sitting contentedly on the fence with no useful input of course). A bit of conflict is interesting to me and it usually challenges my opinion. My go-to the last few years has been to stream the Fan 590 and they have JD Bunkiss (or whatever) on there with Andrew Walker. Same sorta thing - hate the guys opinion almost all the time, but love that he owns it and argues it. It's entertaining - which is what it should be.

All that said, I did have 960 on this afternoon and before a break Pinder teased something along the lines of 'this is the last time you'll hear (the show) 'Pinder & Steinberg' with it's current namesakes both on at the same time' (paraphrasing). Having not seen this thread I thought it was a mention to do with vacations or something. I guess they'll be mixing it up just as I thought it might have a chance of getting better.
I completely agree. What you stated is why I’ve pretty much always enjoyed Pinder until recently. My issue with him is that unlike Walker or Bunkas he doesn’t own the personality of being a sardonic cynic all the time.

I find that he’ll wear that hat at times when it suits him or he feels safe, then he shapeshifts into a laughy charasmatic chummy glad handing buddy buddy in a similar scenario when he doesn’t want to take his lumps & own his contrarian viewpoint on a topic with someone who can take him on.

It opened my eyes to how frequently he makes useless prickish comments and inserts the inconsequential validity of his opinion while talking with Pat. Of course unless there is someone to take him on, then he becomes the self deprecating charasmatic joke that has opened my eyes.

Boomer, otherwise relatively useless, would at least hold him accountable to this crap. Pat either ignores it or gives some kind of cliched “ah shucks” to heaven forbid “have an argument”.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:22 AM   #110
droopydrew19
Safari Stan

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksmasher View Post
I'd rather listen to Ned Flanders than derek wills. Lubo should be calling the games
I can’t stand Wills’ cadence, improper syllabic emphasis and forced inflection.

It sounds like a mixture of hickory dickery dock and constipation
droopydrew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to droopydrew19 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 04:44 AM   #111
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/ed...ldnt-care-less

http://learnersdictionary.com/qa/I-C...OULD-care-less

https://painintheenglish.com/case/60

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/cou...dnt-care-less/

Point being, as I said earlier, the technically correct usage is couldn’t care less, but could care less, has become colloquially used as well, being another American bastardisation of the English language.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #112
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had not realized that a sentence that I used between the words; "could" and "couldn't" in a popular modern saying could derail the thread so much. Well done, CP. Looks like Kelly Kirsch got what he wanted.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 08:12 AM   #113
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

As an expat working through my third decade stateside, I tried to listen to the Rhett/Boomer/Pinder show a few mornings. Other than being incredibly repetitive, my American wife asked during the traffic reports, "Why does every road end in 'trail'?" That's about all I remember.

Sportsnet only exists as a means to consume Flames games. Don't mind Wills/Lou at all. Surprised to hear people dislike Wils' cadence/enunciation -- Peter Maher must have driven you bonkers. That same American wife once asked me about Maer, "Does he always yell? He sounds like that Will Farrell character with voice modulation disease."
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #114
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's be positive - maybe they hired Calgaryboy as their new morning guy?

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #115
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
As an expat working through my third decade stateside, I tried to listen to the Rhett/Boomer/Pinder show a few mornings. Other than being incredibly repetitive, my American wife asked during the traffic reports, "Why does every road end in 'trail'?" That's about all I remember.

Sportsnet only exists as a means to consume Flames games. Don't mind Wills/Lou at all. Surprised to hear people dislike Wils' cadence/enunciation -- Peter Maher must have driven you bonkers. That same American wife once asked me about Maer, "Does he always yell? He sounds like that Will Farrell character with voice modulation disease."

That is interesting. I remembered seeing an article about that
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ames-1.3346444

Quote:
Hiller points out even the notion of a major street or freeway being called a "trail" is something that is distinctly Calgary. It harkens back to the oxcart trail that was used to carry supplies and people to Calgary from Fort Benton, Montana
Also, imagine if you had married a British gal, from a place where we all know what ‘shag’ means and they refer to a diaper as a ‘nappy’

Quote:
"There's no place else in the continent or in the world that has a major thoroughfare called Shaganappi Trail."
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #116
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like Boomer and the morning show, although they do miss Pinder as a bit of a foil to the less analytical take Boomer and Rhett share. I think Klein can work there. Afternoons are better with Pinder and without Kerr, in my opinion. I think most of the newer guys are weak, but perhaps will improve with more reps.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 03:58 AM   #117
droopydrew19
Safari Stan

Exp:

Interesting.......

https://ca.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=e...f1cf&from=serp
droopydrew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to droopydrew19 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 04:52 AM   #118
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

9am - 1pm? No more Jim Rome?

Me likey.
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FunkMasterFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #119
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #120
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopydrew19 View Post
Paging Mango!!