Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 03:32 PM   #4201
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

And I would trade Brett Hull for a Stanley Cup 10 times out of 10. (Of course I was 15 years old in 1989 and that memory of winning the cup I'd love to feel again.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I have a feeling Bennett is going to be Hull 2.0 for the Flames.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #4202
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also don't think the Flyers would have much interest in a in a D prospect so close to the NHL. They're pretty loaded, Hagg , Morin, Philip Myers, Travis Sanheim.

Looking at their prospect list, I figure a forward prospect would be more fitting for them. If they wanted a prospect at all.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #4203
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simmonds would command significant assets in any trade, but at the same time, he has one year left on his current value deal and would command a notable increase on his next deal, and he also plays a rough and tumble brand of hockey that at the age of 30 makes you wonder how effective he can be in his new deal.

As much as I love Simmonds, I would hope that the Flames aren't the ones offering significant assets and re-signing him on a long term high dollar extension.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2017, 11:41 PM   #4204
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Simmonds would command significant assets in any trade, but at the same time, he has one year left on his current value deal and would command a notable increase on his next deal, and he also plays a rough and tumble brand of hockey that at the age of 30 makes you wonder how effective he can be in his new deal.

As much as I love Simmonds, I would hope that the Flames aren't the ones offering significant assets and re-signing him on a long term high dollar extension.
This. Simmonds has been underpaid his whole career, he's going to want to get paid big money.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #4205
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd love to have Simmonds, but he is going to get paiiiid.

Also how long to you hang on to the kid who is not performing before you make a move? Are you simply holding on to him out of fear he may put it together one day? It is a bit of a tough spot. Is it year 5 you give up? Year 6?

His trade value is low (outside potential) but I have to think he doesn't have a ton of rope left.

Lastly if we are serious cup contenders (which i'm not sure we are), then yes you're going to likely make a move on someone like a Simmonds and give up youth for the run. A kid who hasn't done much in his NHL career and a dman who may never make the league is a decent place to start.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #4206
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We gave up a lot of assets for Stone, Smith, Hamonic. We need guys from the farm to come up and give us a jolt.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #4207
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
We gave up a lot of assets for Stone, Smith, Hamonic. We need guys from the farm to come up and give us a jolt.
A third round pick isn't even footnote worthy. Don't disagree with the others though.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #4208
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
A third round pick isn't even footnote worthy. Don't disagree with the others though.
Plus the conditional 5th that kicked in when we re-signed him. Still not a huge cost at all.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #4209
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Given the fact it was looking like Hickey wouldn't sign with us I don't think we gave up much for Smith either.

We did give up a lot for Hamonic no doubt about that..
Old 11-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #4210
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Agree with the posts above, not a huge cost for Stone. I just think we need guys internally to push now and there is no need to give up more assets to acquire players.

Hopefully guys can come up and make a difference like Sheary, Kuhnhackl, Guentzel and Rust did for the Pens.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #4211
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Judging from what we got out of Smith already, that was a steal.
The team was not a good team to start even with world class goal-tending.

We were winning scoring only 2 goals a game.

Most GMs would start auctioning their own organs for that.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #4212
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm not thinking about re-signing Simmonds. I mean hey if you can get him to re-sign at a fair price then great. I'm talking about this year and next year (Mike Smith era) as your shot to get to the 3rd round+.

I think we are one impact forward away from being a scary team to deal with especially in a 7 game series.

These opportunities to have a realistic shot to go deep into the playoffs don't come around often. Take a shot when you get the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

Old 11-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #4213
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big winger with skill? Yup, I think that would be something that the flames would be doing come deadline.

However, given the acquisition cost, I think a rental would be a cheaper alternative. Plenty of really good winger options could be there for the taking. Assuming their teams are out of the playoff picture (in no particular order) :
Nash
Sedin
Plekanec
Kane
Fillpula
Neal
Grabovski
Cogliano
Old 11-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #4214
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO if they're going to pay a price for a rental, I think they should go all in and go after one of Kane, Neal or Nash (in that order). I still think they're one strong forward away and those guys would all add some skill and punch to the lineup. I'd stay away from the softer guys because I don't think they'll do well in the western playoffs.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:03 AM   #4215
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
IMO if they're going to pay a price for a rental, I think they should go all in and go after one of Kane, Neal or Nash (in that order). I still think they're one strong forward away and those guys would all add some skill and punch to the lineup. I'd stay away from the softer guys because I don't think they'll do well in the western playoffs.
I don’t think they can afford to pay a big price for a rental. No first this year and no 2nd until 2021.

I can only see the Flames in the fringe rental or hockey trade market this season
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #4216
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I honestly can never see Brian Burke getting comfortable on a Kane trade - he puts so much emphasis on character, that I doubt he could ever get over some of the history with this player.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:08 AM   #4217
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
What do you think it would take to get these guys? I want Neal more than the rest, are they reasonably attainable?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #4218
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We have no draft picks guys. So a rental will be hard to swing. Someone like fox/kilington will have to go, but I dunno how much value they’d have. Most teams would prefer a first etc.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #4219
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see our management group purchasing any expensive high end rentals.

Which is a good thing IMO.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #4220
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think if this team makes any moves going into the deadline it will be in the bottom six, I think they like their top six for this year at least.
Closed Thread