Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #3201
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennet for Sam Reinhart?
Haven't followed Reinhart but if both struggle that is the kind of trade that would be made
Old 10-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #3202
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So we're putting Bennett's value somewhere around Patrik Stefan's? Is this because Brouwer has actually been playing pretty well the last three games?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #3203
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
So we're putting Bennett's value somewhere around Patrik Stefan's? Is this because Brouwer has actually been playing pretty well the last three games?
Umm, what?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #3204
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Umm, what?
It just seems like Bennett became the whipping boy awfully quickly, and I'm making sure that we all like Brouwer now.

I think from the rest of the leagues perspective, Bennett still has a lot of value, but some of the fans here are suggesting lateral moves, at best.

Patrik Stefan had the quickest fall from grace for a high pick that the world has ever seen.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #3205
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Bennett hasn't registered a point yet but he's done a lot of good things offensively.

Brodie's 2nd goal vs WPG only happens because of Bennett's battle/screen in front of Mason.

I also loved this play by Bennett to break up a pass, then steal the puck away from Doughty with a diving play to spring Tkachuk late vs LA (almost for the hat trick):

Link
https://gfycat.com/PlumpRegalFireant
Old 10-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #3206
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I think from the rest of the leagues perspective, Bennett still has a lot of value, but some of the fans here are suggesting lateral moves, at best.
Does he though?

His stat line doesn't inspire confidence. I think the Flames should hang on to him but i don't think he would get much back in a trade beyond Reinhart
Old 10-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #3207
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default 2017/2018 Trade Speculation and Rumors

The difference between Reinhart and Bennett is that one has been playing third line center with a boat anchor on his right side and the other one has been playing wing on the first line with Jack Eichel.

If we moved Bennett to the wing he would have much better offensive numbers. This is going to need to be done eventually.

Last edited by bax; 10-17-2017 at 02:11 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #3208
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Move Bennett on the right side of the first line and you easily have a 50-60pt winger IMO.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #3209
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

People have to stop being homers. I loved Bennett over Reinhardt in their draft years. That said I will be the first to admit, I'd prefer Sam R now. One thing Sam R has over Bennett is IQ. We have always known Reinhardt has top end hockey IQ. Bennett was more gifted in talent and physically. The problem becomes that Bennetts hockey IQ at this point has made it hard for him to suceed at the NHL level. At this point I'm taking Reinhardt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #3210
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
They were drafted in the same season, what makes you think he will be better than Reinhart? Not that Reinhart is much better because he's struggling as well but I see the potential as equal in both players.

So lets say your the GM and we do your trade... then Reinhart is still struggling then what? Lets say they put Bennett on the first line in Buffalo and he start putting up numbers while we put Reinhart on the third line and somehow he is going to be magically better than he is while lined up with Jack Eichel. What are you going to do now?

I am asking because you seem bent on making this trade, but are you doing it for the sake of satisfying your prerogative or are you trying to make the team better?

Sometimes we as fans can be very reactionary based on what we see without considering the players age or development curves; Not to mention the organization has goals and objectives for the player that might not prioritize scoring goals or putting up points. I say lets be patient and not suggest a trade every time we find a new whipping boy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 02:05 PM   #3211
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Move Bennett on the right side of the first line and you easily have a 50-60pt winger IMO.
You dont know that at all. It is pure speculation without any basis for proof. I'd like to say that he would, but based on his history he simply does not inspire that confidence in me. He does not make those around him better and at times I think he himself drags them down by taking foolish penalties, being out of position or simply not being strong on the puck. These were not the supposed qualities he had when drafted.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #3212
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Reinhart's "IQ" is one of the worst meme's in hockey
Old 10-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #3213
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
People have to stop being homers. I loved Bennett over Reinhardt in their draft years. That said I will be the first to admit, I'd prefer Sam R now. One thing Sam R has over Bennett is IQ. We have always known Reinhardt has top end hockey IQ. Bennett was more gifted in talent and physically. The problem becomes that Bennetts hockey IQ at this point has made it hard for him to suceed at the NHL level. At this point I'm taking Reinhardt.
Reinhart. No d.

The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #3214
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
RNH made the world cup team and looked great. Bennett has a long ways to go.

I'd make that trade in a heart beat. The Oilers would not.
The Oilers would drop RNH and his 6M cap hit for anything right now, they are certainly not going to get a cost controlled high end prospect like Sam Bennett in return. Thinking the Oilers would not do that is freakin laughable!!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #3215
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The Oilers would drop RNH and his 6M cap hit for anything right now, they are certainly not going to get a cost controlled high end prospect like Sam Bennett in return. Thinking the Oilers would not do that is freakin laughable!!!
I wouldn't even trade Bennett Brouwer for RNH.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #3216
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Reinhart. No d.

My phone auto adds the d, too busy to remove.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #3217
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
They are very comparable players right now. Preferring Bennett does not make people homers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #3218
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

As much as there are homers on this site, there are just as many "grass is greener" posters who just automatically think some Flames players/prospects are lesser than what's out there.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #3219
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I preferred Reinhart at the draft, and it had everything to do with his IQ and strong 2-way play.

However, I keep Bennett. Reinhart has not set the world on fire as a center, and I do believe that right now Bennett would mirror Reinhart's stat sheet if he was transitioned to wing. Bennett has jumped from "horrible in his own end" to "becoming so good that sometimes Gulutzan buries him with defensive zone starts". That's a HUGE jump.

Add the fact that he provides one element that Reinhart doesn't - really good speed. Add another element that Reinhart doesn't - nasty physical play at times.

I think that Bennett's transition into the NHL has been slow only when it comes to his offence. I think he has done a heck of a job developing his defensive game (which was really non-existent - to say he had junior-level defensive ability would have been a compliment). I still think the Flames should keep him at center, and I would bet that he breaks out eventually. If he simply doesn't, then the Flames can transition him to the wing, and move Jankowski up as the 3rd line center and have a nice cheap long-term solution.

I would gamble that Sam Bennett is as capable defensively as RNH right now too. I don't see some uptick in RNH's offensive ability. He has been in the NHL for a long period of time while having superior offensive wingers. Whatever the Oilers did to him, I have no idea, but that kid no longer has that game-changing ability he once had. He is too soft to be a defensive center. I doubt I make that trade at even dollars right now, considering that I think Bennett makes for a much stronger 3rd line center given what we have seen already. At their respective contracts? No, there is no way in H E double hockey sticks that I make that trade.

If Bennett doesn't turn into that PPG 1st line franchise-level center that many of us expected, that's ok. He brings in a lot of other value to this team - he is incredibly difficult to play against, he is developing his defensive game at a much faster rate than Backlund did at their respective ages and experience levels, and there is without question at least SOME room for him to grow his offensive game, even if it is a less than expected level.

Personally, I just think we need to be patient, and I am glad that the organization is being patient with him. No two prospects develop exactly alike. Bennett has shown progression every year if you actually watch the games and not just stat-watch - I think anyone making a ridiculous declaration that he hasn't progressed is either a stat watcher or incredibly dense.

So happy the Flames are showing Bennett some patience. I would say it is working out so far.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #3220
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
I'm curious, based on what?
Closed Thread