Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2024, 09:57 PM   #41
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Remember when that guy picked the puck up and threw it in front of the net for a goal? And the refs were like... Seems fine.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 12:59 PM   #42
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perry did something bad enough to lose his 4M contract and now has to sign for league min.

not enough for a one game suspension though
Old 01-22-2024, 01:01 PM   #43
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
Lol wew. Gaudreau ain't McDavid.
exactly, double standard...you do know what that means right? That is exactly the point. Different rules for different teams/players
Old 01-22-2024, 01:24 PM   #44
1Nite
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Remember when that guy picked the puck up and threw it in front of the net for a goal? And the refs were like... Seems fine.
There was one a few years back, where Getzlaf grabbed the puck and threw it out of his net, no goal for the Flames.
1Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Nite For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 01:40 PM   #45
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Nite View Post
There was one a few years back, where Getzlaf grabbed the puck and threw it out of his net, no goal for the Flames.
he even laughed about it post game...it was a huge game for the Flames too, killed their playoff hopes

Flames management and fans were all "oh geez, we should have won more games earlier in the season"

well yeah but you still got ####ed...like the TO game

"oh geez, we blew a big lead"

yeah but you still got ####s

"oh geez, Coleman didn't kick it in but we shouldn't have been down 3-1 in the series"

okay but you still got ####ed!
Old 01-26-2024, 03:08 PM   #46
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Same guy, cross-checking again, not as nasty as what he did to Zary... but this time it was against the Lightning, so he got a double minor for cross-checking, a 10min misconduct and a fine from the NHL.

So... to summarize...

- A 2 minute minor for cross-checking.

- A 4 minute double minor for cross-checking.
- A 10 minute misconduct.
- A league-maximum fine from the NHL.

https://www.nhl.com/news/michael-kes...a-coyotes-game
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 03:23 PM   #47
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hockey has all sorts of acceptable things that we are totally used to but really make no sense, especially when watching with a newbie.

The whistle goes and the O-Player is standing near the goalie covering it up. That means the dmen are allowed to cross check them in the neck, head and back and punch in the face, but just a little, not too much.

You aren't allowed to stand there? Oh ya, its legal.

Are you allowed to punch in the face and cross check? Oh ya, just at this time but only for a bit and for a short time, don't go overboard.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:28 PM   #48
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
exactly, double standard...you do know what that means right? That is exactly the point. Different rules for different teams/players
Yeah...different rules apply to different people, in hockey and in life. What are you, new to this world?

Never said it was fair, but it is what it is.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:34 PM   #49
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kesselring is going to find himself a marked man very quickly in my opinion. There will be retribution.
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaikorven For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 03:46 PM   #50
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Same guy, cross-checking again, not as nasty as what he did to Zary... but this time it was against the Lightning, so he got a double minor for cross-checking, a 10min misconduct and a fine from the NHL.

So... to summarize...

- A 2 minute minor for cross-checking.

- A 4 minute double minor for cross-checking.
- A 10 minute misconduct.
- A league-maximum fine from the NHL.

https://www.nhl.com/news/michael-kes...a-coyotes-game
Hey look what happens when you don't crack down on a player the first time they cross a line with a specific dirty play. They repeat the behavior a short time later.

Crack down on the zary crosschecks and maybe Kesselring is thinking twice before taking similar action on someone else.

But I'm just a fan (sort of), what do I know..
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 03:52 PM   #51
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why don't the Flames deserve protection to the same standard? It's a question worth asking.

I'm glad Zary was OK because that frankly looked like the nastier (more aggressive) of the two. There would be a lot of upset people if the rookie got injured from that and one of the Flames' lone bright spots was sidelined. I don't know why it doesn't get a serious look just because Zary wasn't hurt. Still a gross display of a lack of discipline.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:58 PM   #52
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

It. Was. In.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2024, 04:50 PM   #53
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

In an ideal world, the Flames and their players absolutely deserve protection to the same standard. But this is a flawed league in a pretty messed up world.

Players like McDavid are not only the face of the Oilers but also of the league. You do everything you can to protect your most valuable assets, like it's second nature. The league loses millions of dollars in ticket sales and general revenue if McDavid gets injured and misses a season. The league doesn't miss a beat if Zary never plays a game again. And outside of the Flames community, I doubt a single fan of other teams even remember or care about the Zary hit. Now, I'm not saying the league is actively hurting or neglecting it's players. It just doesn't catch their attention the way a McDavid injury would.

And on another related note, there's no doubt the league hopes their darling teams like the Leafs and Oilers to go on long playoff runs and maybe even win a cup. You always want your most marketable players and teams to do well.

Like, even if you're not a basketball fan, you'd probably still follow Giannis or Jokic chase championships. Mahomes and the Chiefs draws in a ton of views, especially with the Taylor Swift fanbase now following them. The casual fan is not concerned with the Tyrese Haliburtons and Ryan Tannehills of the world. And Haliburton is an All-Star!

The Flames are the Indiana Pacers and Tennesee Titans of the NHL. They're not heroes. They're not even villains. Their just there, almost like fillers. This is how I see this franchise in the grand scheme of things. And until we get a McDavid that won't change.

So in my opinion, to decry and complain about double standards, favoritism towards other teams other than the Flames in the media and in reffing, etc. is to not really understand where this franchise stands in the grand scheme of things and what they mean to the league as a whole.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:46 PM   #54
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames are the Indiana Pacers and Tennesee Titans of the NHL. They're not heroes. They're not even villains. Their just there, almost like fillers.

The Flames are the WWE Jobber of the NHL.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 06:50 PM   #55
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
In an ideal world, the Flames and their players absolutely deserve protection to the same standard. But this is a flawed league in a pretty messed up world.

Players like McDavid are not only the face of the Oilers but also of the league. You do everything you can to protect your most valuable assets, like it's second nature. The league loses millions of dollars in ticket sales and general revenue if McDavid gets injured and misses a season. The league doesn't miss a beat if Zary never plays a game again. And outside of the Flames community, I doubt a single fan of other teams even remember or care about the Zary hit. Now, I'm not saying the league is actively hurting or neglecting it's players. It just doesn't catch their attention the way a McDavid injury would.

And on another related note, there's no doubt the league hopes their darling teams like the Leafs and Oilers to go on long playoff runs and maybe even win a cup. You always want your most marketable players and teams to do well.

Like, even if you're not a basketball fan, you'd probably still follow Giannis or Jokic chase championships. Mahomes and the Chiefs draws in a ton of views, especially with the Taylor Swift fanbase now following them. The casual fan is not concerned with the Tyrese Haliburtons and Ryan Tannehills of the world. And Haliburton is an All-Star!

The Flames are the Indiana Pacers and Tennesee Titans of the NHL. They're not heroes. They're not even villains. Their just there, almost like fillers. This is how I see this franchise in the grand scheme of things. And until we get a McDavid that won't change.

So in my opinion, to decry and complain about double standards, favoritism towards other teams other than the Flames in the media and in reffing, etc. is to not really understand where this franchise stands in the grand scheme of things and what they mean to the league as a whole.
I'm sorry, but this notion that we should be ok with bending over because we don't have Connor McDavid is one of the worst takes I've read in a looooong time.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2024, 10:45 PM   #56
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don’t worry guys, Vancouver just got a 5 minute major on review of a separate penalty
Old 01-27-2024, 10:47 PM   #57
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Don’t worry guys, Vancouver just got a 5 minute major on review of a separate penalty
I think the original thought that the injury was from the hit from behind, turns out it was a reckless elbow by a different player. Though could've been a hit from behind call too.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 10:54 PM   #58
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
I think the original thought that the injury was from the hit from behind, turns out it was a reckless elbow by a different player. Though could've been a hit from behind call too.
I agree it was an elbow and should have been penalized, however when the penalty is assessed there can be three outcomes according to announcers. No penalty, lesser penalty, penalty stands. Seeing as how Cole was in the box for the check behind its weird they ejected myers for an elbow.
Was it a penalty, yes, by the rules they got it wrong
Old 02-06-2024, 06:27 PM   #59
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Exhibit #473:

5 min major for crosschecking and a game misconduct:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1755029672570634571

2 min minor for crosschecking

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post: