Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2023, 09:37 AM   #201
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Imagine if the Arab world and the Palestinians collectively decided to end their jihadist quest to destroy Israel and work towards peace. This could have been over 30 years ago but at every turn the Palestinians and their leadership fail to see the reality of the situation. What will happen in the coming weeks is not something anyone is giddy about but it is the direct result of decades of Palestinian refusal to reform their society and come to terms with reality. The lack of accountability is truly astonishing.
This is interesting. The arab world hasn't made peace with Israel? Jordan did in the 90s. Egypt in 1980. Then there was the Abraham accords a few years ago that brought the UAE, Bahrain, Morocco and Sudan on board. Lately there's been talk of Saudi Arabia joining that group.

Even the Palestinian Authority recognized Israel after the Oslo accords and coordinates security with Israel. What have the Palestinians gotten in return? More displacement or villages, more settlements in what's supposed to be a future state, more water and travel restrictions.

In your eyes, is Hamas = all arabs? What has Israel done to hold up their side of the bargain?
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 09:48 AM   #202
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really, really like this response from Benjamin Wittes
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 10:06 AM   #203
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10012579/...ttack-day-two/

The death toll in Israel has reached at least 600 people, according to government numbers, with more than 100 believed to be kidnapped and more than 2,000 people injured after the Hamas militant group attacked the country by air, land and sea.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 10:23 AM   #204
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
This is interesting. The arab world hasn't made peace with Israel? Jordan did in the 90s. Egypt in 1980. Then there was the Abraham accords a few years ago that brought the UAE, Bahrain, Morocco and Sudan on board. Lately there's been talk of Saudi Arabia joining that group.

Even the Palestinian Authority recognized Israel after the Oslo accords and coordinates security with Israel. What have the Palestinians gotten in return? More displacement or villages, more settlements in what's supposed to be a future state, more water and travel restrictions.

In your eyes, is Hamas = all arabs? What has Israel done to hold up their side of the bargain?
Israel never wanted to conquer Gaza. They actually offered this land to Egypt, and they refused. Gaza people could live there peacefully. But they decided to have Hamas as their government and only after that they found themselves in blockade. By both Israel and Muslim Arabic country of Egypt.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2023, 11:35 AM   #205
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I really, really like this response from Benjamin Wittes

Any link for where this is from - would like to share - unfortunately see that he's currently banned on Twitter.
Old 10-08-2023, 12:06 PM   #206
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
any link for where this is from - would like to share - unfortunately see that he's currently banned on twitter.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1710877892882694231
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2023, 01:32 PM   #207
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

250 kids massacred by Hamas at the music festival.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 01:47 PM   #208
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Not that it’s much consolation, but i believe that number is the total so far, not just kids. There weren’t many kids in attendance.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 01:50 PM   #209
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Not that it’s much consolation, but i believe that number is the total so far, not just kids. There weren’t many kids in attendance.
I think they mean kids in the generalised under 25 or so sense, not little children, although no doubt many of these have been killed as well
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 01:55 PM   #210
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1711076123180700055
Apparently “dozens” of Americans among the hostages. Maybe that’s a factor in sending the world’s largest ship.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 10-08-2023 at 01:58 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 01:56 PM   #211
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes I meant young people. I am gutted.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2023, 02:38 PM   #212
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post

In each case, Israel forced their enemies into peace with overwhelming force or threat of destruction.

All they want from Palestinians is peace and Palestinians have done anything but peace, including their pay for slay system. If they can’t be peaceful, Israel will continue on this path which is continued building the country they have authority over. I cant even recall anything resembling peace from them at all?
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 02:42 PM   #213
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know this is a generalization and assumption on my part, but looking a the types of people that were at the festival, many of them were probably ones with political leanings that supported Palestinian causes in Israel. By that, I mean young and liberal.
Old 10-08-2023, 03:26 PM   #214
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I know this is a generalization and assumption on my part, but looking a the types of people that were at the festival, many of them were probably ones with political leanings that supported Palestinian causes in Israel. By that, I mean young and liberal.
Most Israeli people support Palestinians and want peace. What they don’t support is exposing themselves to violence which comes in loud and clear across the world. This latest attack as you know came from Gaza which had full independence in a peace offering from Israel. Palestinians took that offer and attacked Israel with endless rockets.

The Palestinians have had no champions for peace, none. Israeli people have evolved under this terror yet still hope for peace.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 03:33 PM   #215
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The name of the festival was Music Festival for Peace

Tells you all you need to know that these barbaric savages don't want peace, they just want terror.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 03:46 PM   #216
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Most Israeli people support Palestinians and want peace. What they don’t support is exposing themselves to violence which comes in loud and clear across the world. This latest attack as you know came from Gaza which had full independence in a peace offering from Israel. Palestinians took that offer and attacked Israel with endless rockets.

The Palestinians have had no champions for peace, none. Israeli people have evolved under this terror yet still hope for peace.
Apparently Israel had just recently loosened the blockade on Gaza as well allowing citizens from Gaza to get work permits in Israel. Whatever goodwill may have come from that will never be recovered.

I have to say, the footage of suffering and loss coming out of Gaza today gives me the same anxiety of seeing the terrorist attacks in Israel. You hate to see it no matter who it is, but I understand why Israel has to respond like this. According to some news outlets, Hamas has rocket launching equipment and weapons stored in residential high rises where people live. It just really sucks people are being used as meat shields. One Israeli politician said that they told Hamas ahead of time which buildings were going to be hit and gave them time to evacuate residents, but Hamas refuses to pass on the warnings.
Old 10-08-2023, 03:53 PM   #217
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
In each case, Israel forced their enemies into peace with overwhelming force or threat of destruction.

All they want from Palestinians is peace and Palestinians have done anything but peace, including their pay for slay system. If they can’t be peaceful, Israel will continue on this path which is continued building the country they have authority over. I cant even recall anything resembling peace from them at all?
Israel forced Morocco and UAE into peace through overwhelming force? Weird take dude.

What has Israel done to show they want peace? Appoint the likes of Ben-Gvir and Smotrich in positions of power? Known terrorists hell bent on the destruction of Palestine?
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:14 PM   #218
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1711076123180700055
Apparently “dozens” of Americans among the hostages. Maybe that’s a factor in sending the world’s largest ship.
Lol.

Hamas: "Bringing in the USS Gerald R. Ford doesnt scare us!"

USA: "BS. It will."

Uh...and I'm far from a military expert but per my understanding Aircraft Carriers dont tend to sail alone...they usually have a significant support fleet?

Either way...you know what'll ruin your day real fast? Fighter Jets.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2023, 04:23 PM   #219
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There has to be a mass exodus out of Gaza right now you would think.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:25 PM   #220
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
There has to be a mass exodus out of Gaza right now you would think.
I don't know where they will go. There was a Hamas inspired terrorist attack in Alexandria Egypt today as well. There is a reason why Israel isn't the only country that borders Gaza and imposed a blockade after Hamas was elected.