Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #2441
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I like Markstrom, but do he and Tanev make up for all of Brodie, Stone, Gus, Forbort, Hamonic, Talbot, and Jankowski?

and

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 10:58 PM   #2442
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2020/2021 Trade Speculation and Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post

and

I’m not enamoured with that list either, but when we’re talking about replacing them with scrubs like Rinaldo, Gawdin, and Buddy Robinson (who?), and expecting a college kid who’s never even set foot on NHL ice before to suddenly become a regular out of nowhere, it becomes a bit worrying.

Still lots of time to fill out the depth spots, but trades will have to be made to create the cap space. And that doesn’t even address the fact that the rest of the forward core hasn’t been touched. I hope Treliving has more up his sleeve than this.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:04 PM   #2443
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd rather they gamble on some younger players in depth positions.
I agree about the core but free agency looked like brutal values for trades.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:06 PM   #2444
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
As it stands today, Markstrom and Tanev don’t make up for all the depth the Flames have lost - especially Brodie who was probably the team’s best overall defenseman. Tanev is not even close to making up for that, and probably becomes a whipping boy fairly quickly. Coaching is still highly questionable.

I’m hoping there’s more moves to come because I don’t see a playoff team in this group.
You are serious? Brodie and Tanev have very similar stats last season...plus you add Vali

AND A TOP 5 GOALIE which is a massive add

Stone, Hamonic, Jako, lol those guys weren't even playing

Last edited by dino7c; 10-12-2020 at 11:14 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 11:08 PM   #2445
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What makes Markstrom a big draw? I didn’t watch any canucks games Last year really but he had basically the same stats as Koskinen and slightly worse that Talbot last year (GAA and sv%)?
Well there is your problem...the guy was insanely good last season and basically carried the Canucks to the playoffs and past a round.

He was 4th in Vezina voting
Old 10-12-2020, 11:15 PM   #2446
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPepman View Post
Screw the idea of signing Mike Hoffman. He bring too many 'baggages', career-wise.

Remember this?

I don't want that guy near our locker room.
Wasn't it dismissed because the Karlsson's evidence was shown to be BS?

Seems like more of an issue with Karlsson than Hoffman.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 11:21 PM   #2447
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

Yeah, it was investigated and no evidence came out to back up Karlsson's wife's claims-she sure came out of it looking like a class 1 beyotch.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:21 PM   #2448
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

Would rather not take that gamble. I like Hoffman but the dollars and term are an absolute no go given the recent history of this team. And yes, aire on the side of caution after two sticks of dynamite blow up in your face, never light the 3rd stick.

Whats the old addage? Fool me once (Brouwer), shame on you. Fool me twice (Ugh), shame on me. Please don't be foolish the 3rd time.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 11:25 PM   #2449
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I would like to see one more legitimate depth forward added. Toby Reider was probably the 11th best forward they had and it was a bit of a drop to Jankowski...than we had Rinaldo play games in the playoffs. Guys like Gawdin or Ruzicka failed to make the bubble group. So at least one more legit NHL winger is needed plus depth to try and keep the team from playing Rinaldo more than 20 games.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:25 PM   #2450
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tanev is a downgrade on Brodie offensively and I think the offense will suffer from that. But the defense should hold up better, so overall I think the team is a bit better. Nothing has been done to solve the scoring issues in the playoffs though.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:31 PM   #2451
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

With respect, I don't see the connection between Hoffman and Brouwer/Neal. Hoffman is a good skater, with skill-the other two were not. Hoffman had 59pts in 69 games last year, and 70pts the year before-he does more by accident than those other two did on purpose. People say that Hoff's defensive game is lacking, but that's his only glaring weakness. The only thing I would hesitate on is money and term.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:32 PM   #2452
TheRealPepman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

(delete post)

Last edited by TheRealPepman; 10-12-2020 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:32 PM   #2453
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie had 19 points last season...Valimaki can hopefully make up for that

Tanev has spent the last few years on total tear down rebuild team, he was given all the heavy lifting on the defensive side of things. I think his fancy stats improve greatly on a team with more quality veteran support.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:38 PM   #2454
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Brodie had 19 points last season...Valimaki can hopefully make up for that
Hanifin looked much better with Anderson than he did with Hamonic. So those two should both move forward plus Valimaki. Tanev isn't a world bearer...but he had 20 points too. Collectively the whole group should match the output they got last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2020, 11:48 PM   #2455
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Hanifin looked much better with Anderson than he did with Hamonic. So those two should both move forward plus Valimaki. Tanev isn't a world bearer...but he had 20 points too. Collectively the whole group should match the output they got last year.
Yeah, Hanifin-Andersson were arguably our best D pairing in the playoffs. That's what happens when you get a young defenseman AWAY from Hamonic. Ironically, I could see Tre giving Hammer a cheap deal to come back short term.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:51 PM   #2456
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I would like to see one more legitimate depth forward added. Toby Reider was probably the 11th best forward they had and it was a bit of a drop to Jankowski...than we had Rinaldo play games in the playoffs. Guys like Gawdin or Ruzicka failed to make the bubble group. So at least one more legit NHL winger is needed plus depth to try and keep the team from playing Rinaldo more than 20 games.
Gawdin was injured for the bubble so didn’t get a good look but I wouldn’t sleep on him. Some Flames fan has done a great job on YouTube of compiling highlight videos from last season of Flames prospects. I know they are scoring highlights but Gawdin looks like he could be a useful 4th liner. Plays centre and takes faceoffs, right shot guy. Has a good shot and quick release, with decent vision and playmaking. There also some grit to his game as he has a lot of fight videos from junior.

Phillips also looks like he’s close though I wouldn’t really use him in a 4th line role.

Robinson is actually very noticeable in Gawdin and Phillips highlight packages. He’s got some decent playmaking skills and had some real good chemistry with Gawdin. Those two could bring as much as Jankowski and Reider did.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:00 AM   #2457
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

having a spot or two for guys to compete for is not a bad thing
Old 10-13-2020, 12:43 AM   #2458
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Robinson-Gawdin-Phillips was a top line in Stockton last year, I've always liked the idea of transposing proven chemistry to the fourth line. Gawdin and Phillips don't need waivers to go back down (I don't believe), so there is literally no risk in having Rinaldo and Froese as the backup option instead of the starters.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:02 AM   #2459
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt the Flames someone like Hoffman, unless it’s really cheap as any money in above $1M means a comparable amount out.

Dumping cap without taking any back is pretty hard these days unless you are moving a very desirable asset. Ryan is the most likely expendable asset, and he would be hard to move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2020, 06:35 AM   #2460
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames need another proven top six player. It is not a desire, it is a must have. They need another proven scorer or a young guy on the verge of breaking out. They cannot afford to go into this season with the same group of forwards. They just can’t. But with Lucic’s contract on the books the hands of the team is tied, The Flames are actually working with a $76M cap because of the dead space Lucic creates. It is that contract that is preventing the Flames from bringing in the talent we need. So now improvements will have to be made by dealing away Ryan or Backlund, who are only slightly overpaid for what they bring. Treliving will now have to outright win a trade to improve the team rather than making a win-win decent deal. Sad that one contract can do so much damage.
Closed Thread