Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2022, 12:03 PM   #561
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't know anything about Sunak prior to him becoming the new leader, so I was happy to see someone of immigrant parents rise to such heights, but reading about him now, he seems like more of the same.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1584482924967038977

Last edited by activeStick; 10-25-2022 at 12:07 PM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 12:52 PM   #562
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Didn't know anything about Sunak prior to him becoming the new leader, so I was happy to see someone of immigrant parents rise to such heights, but reading about him now, he seems like more of the same.

Yes he has his own fortune by being the classic Goldman Sachs and hedge fund guy, but the majority of their net worth comes from his wife's family whose father was one of the founders of global IT company InfoSys (which just opened a Calgary office to much fanfare a few months ago).

But yes, this is the first time the Monarch is greeting a PM that is richer than himself.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:04 PM   #563
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Yes he has his own fortune by being the classic Goldman Sachs and hedge fund guy, but the majority of their net worth comes from his wife's family whose father was one of the founders of global IT company InfoSys (which just opened a Calgary office to much fanfare a few months ago).

But yes, this is the first time the Monarch is greeting a PM that is richer than himself.
I immediately dont trust him.

Anyone with that kind of money that goes into Public Service is either an idiot or a Supervillain.

On a scale of 10 to 20 how many Volcanic hideouts does that man have??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 02:24 PM   #564
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel sorry for Penny Mordaunt.

Now she has to wait until December to be PM.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 03:04 PM   #565
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I immediately dont trust him.

Anyone with that kind of money that goes into Public Service is either an idiot or a Supervillain.

On a scale of 10 to 20 how many Volcanic hideouts does that man have??
Pretty much. I mean, that's what I would do so...
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 03:43 PM   #566
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Oh wow, Infosys. Being in consulting myself, I know these guys. One of the players in the IPP market trying their best to lure clients with much cheaper rates than us North American firms, but you get what you pay for.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 06:26 PM   #567
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 07:18 PM   #568
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's hilarious and fantastic in some ways that 75 years after Indian independence Britain has a PM with an Indian background who is richer than all the rest of parliament, but yeah, a Goldman-Stanford guy is pretty similar to an Eton-Oxford guy. That doesn't make him bad, but it does make him part of the global elite class that typically has more in common with the rich from NYC, Singapore, Mumbai, etc. than with anyone in the UK outside of London, or even with most of the people in London.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 07:34 PM   #569
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doesn't appear that the UK will ever financially recover from this.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 07:59 PM   #570
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post

This isn't directed at just you, but why is there this sentiment that anyone who had had business success will be a bad leader?

Doesn't his business success at least demonstrate leadership, hard work, financial efficiency, budgeting and many other things that would be great traits to lead a country.

I know little about him, so not saying I like him as their PM or not, but I don't understand dismissing people for being successful at something.
Maybe it's a post Trump reactionary sentiment that's now applied to everyone.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:52 PM   #571
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
This isn't directed at just you, but why is there this sentiment that anyone who had had business success will be a bad leader?

Doesn't his business success at least demonstrate leadership, hard work, financial efficiency, budgeting and many other things that would be great traits to lead a country.

I know little about him, so not saying I like him as their PM or not, but I don't understand dismissing people for being successful at something.
I would think he's certainly smarter than many of the Eton-Oxford crowd like Boris. I would guess he also faces a lot more racism than they ever would and understands that side of life for many UK citizens better than they would. I just wouldn't expect him to offer that much difference from the Eton-Oxford set in terms of beliefs about the role of government and social values.

Going through Goldman and Stanford MBA shapes people in certain ways - Goldman even more than Stanford. It shapes people's ways of thinking, basic beliefs and values. The Brits also left plenty of British elitism in Indian society when they left. I would kind of expect he's more of the same in that way. Maybe he defies the norm, I just wouldn't expect him to be too different based on what I know of the path he has taken. Lots I don't know about his life though.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:27 PM   #572
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trevor Noah’s takedown of a racist caller to a British radio/tv show. Just hilarious

https://youtu.be/nGmZFsOE30Y
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 04:00 AM   #573
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Doesn't appear that the UK will ever financially recover from this.
Are you kidding me? Over 100 pages of benefits in this baby! https://assets.publishing.service.go...-of-brexit.pdf

The top ones are early in the report and include glorious achievements such as:

Reintroduced our iconic blue passports. All new British passports are now blue, a return to their original appearance, with the colour first introduced in 1921, and updated to be the most technologically-advanced and secure British passports ever, with the carbon footprint from their manufacture reduced to net zero. [BF comment: the passports are produced by a Dutch/French company]
● Reviewing the EU ban on imperial markings and sales. This will give businesses and consumers more choice over the measurements they use. Imperial units like pounds and ounces are widely valued in the UK and are a core part of many people’s British identity.
● Enabling businesses to use a crown stamp symbol on pint glasses. The Crown Stamp is a proud emblem of our heritage that people remain fond of. We have begun the process of allowing it to be used once again, a fitting tribute to Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee.

The document goes on and on for over 100 pages - apparently there are environmental benefits as well - presumably about our new found freedoms for water companies - often owned by Europeans to pump raw sewage into our waterways.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 06:42 AM   #574
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know that it necessarily means he'll be a bad leader, but he doesn't really know what it feels like to be poor. It's one thing to know about something, but it's different to actually deal with the day to day difficulties of living that way.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:45 AM   #575
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I don't know that it necessarily means he'll be a bad leader, but he doesn't really know what it feels like to be poor. It's one thing to know about something, but it's different to actually deal with the day to day difficulties of living that way.
And why does that need to be noted?
A poor person wouldn't know what it's like to be the middle or upper class.
A brown PM doesn't know what it's like to be white or black or other.
A male doesn't know what it's like to be female etc etc.

No Leader can ever know exactly how it feels to be all things; that's an irrelevant point to even mention.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:55 AM   #576
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
And why does that need to be noted?
A poor person wouldn't know what it's like to be the middle or upper class.
A brown PM doesn't know what it's like to be white or black or other.
A male doesn't know what it's like to be female etc etc.

No Leader can ever know exactly how it feels to be all things; that's an irrelevant point to even mention.
The answer is pretty obvious. Throughout history and continuing today, most of our public policy that has destroyed our economy, our environment, attacked the poor and the middle class, made housing unaffordable etc has been pushed by the richest of the rich. They buy politicians and get them to enact policies that only benefit them and hurt everyone else.

Most often done by bribing politicians, lobbying politicians or holding office themselves. Sometimes by swaying public opinion by using disinformation via the media.

So to see a guy who is part of that group of ultra wealthy hold office, there is always going to be a concern that he's just going to enact policies that help the ultra wealthy and hurt everyone else.

What people typically forget though is that every other politician who isn't a 1%er themselves still ends up ####ing over the populous because they end up getting bribed by the ultra wealthy anyways. So ultimately the net worth of the PM has no relevance, it's BOHICA no matter who is in power.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 10:27 AM   #577
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Countries/government are not businesses, and trying to run them as such generally leads to policy decisions that tend to further disenfranchise poor and marginalized peoples.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 10:41 AM   #578
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Countries/government are not businesses, and trying to run them as such generally leads to policy decisions that tend to further disenfranchise poor and marginalized peoples.
Who are we supposed to get to run multi-Billion dollar organizations that actually have some kind of experience?

Governments should not be run like Businesses, that is not their function, but who are we going to tap into to do this?

Its a grueling thankless task, the only real benefit is that the general public tends to look the other way while you're robbing them blind. So theres that fringe benefit at least.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-27-2022, 10:41 AM   #579
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I didn't suggest a country should be run like a business. I said there is skilletsets in a successful business person that may overlap to successful governance.

A country is not a business but it's naive to suggest there's no overlaps.
There are trade agreements, financial planning, rules, laws & controls, management of large projects & infrastructure, trying to grow the economy/GDP.
Many things that function similarly to large businesses.
Old 10-27-2022, 10:42 AM   #580
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't suggest a country should be run like a business. I said there is skilletsets in a successful business person that may overlap to successful governance.

A country is not a business but it's naive to suggest there's no overlaps.
There are trade agreements, financial planning, rules, laws & controls, management of large projects & infrastructure, trying to grow the economy/GDP.
Many things that function similarly to large businesses.
Am I having a stroke or is it you?

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: