Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #421
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I'm not sure, but I am familiar with the group from PWC they used, and I think that is overkill for what they are trying to investigate here.
I guess I'm just confused Weitz. You:
  • You don't know how much it should cost, despite first saying it was too much.
  • Imply that the "wrong auditors" were chosen (overkill).
  • Given the point above, imply that the investigation is overkill.
  • Also you note "...for what they are trying to investigate here", which implies you think it may not be as serious as pretty much everyone else seems to think it is (it was referred to the RCMP)

But "you're not sure" and get defensive when people challenge your thoughts (e.g. "no one said that").

It just comes across...not in the way I think you think it does. I didn't mean any offense to you, but that was my partisan comment - it seems like a lot of protesting about this issue, just....because?
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #422
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Did anyone follow the saga of the BLM murals?

First they proposed to paint over the CUPS mural. That was quashed by public backlash. Now one's going up in Chinatown, and, well some people think that's also an inappropriate location.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/chinatown...nity-1.5091675

Edit: being discussed in the Minneapolis PD thread

Last edited by SebC; 09-04-2020 at 04:31 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:18 PM   #423
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Corrupt politicians come in all shapes and sizes so I'm not exactly sure what you found in his appearance that pointed to him being corrupt.
It was more than appearance and I said as much. It was background and actions that form a package. One that I formed an opinion of character on.

Like I said it was a joke anyways. If it was totally off base and a bad one than I apologize, but for the record I am a voter and fan of Nenshi.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:47 PM   #424
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Did anyone follow the saga of the BLM murals?

First they proposed to paint over the CUPS mural. That was quashed by public backlash. Now one's going up in Chinatown, and, well some people think that's also an inappropriate location.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/chinatown...nity-1.5091675

Edit: being discussed in the Minneapolis PD thread
Just to be clear, given the thread's nature to be about the city council, this had nothing to do with them unlike the other mural:
Quote:
The city is not involved with the new project and private funds have been raised to complete the mural at the new location in Chinatown.
Unless maybe they had to approve it.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:20 PM   #425
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I haven’t read all of the background but I’m friends with the most respected municipal consultant in Canada; he’s in Alberta. I think he’d do a basic review for less than a third of that price and I know accountants who could review the finances around the expense claims for far less. There must be much more than I’m aware.
Would these reviews fit the bill for a forensic audit (for which I admittedly don’t know what the difference is in scrutiny, but seems like one of those standardized terms that require people with designations after their names that automatically drive the price up)?

I don’t doubt any accountant and a lot of non-accountants would be able to look at the expenses and be able to say ‘yep, that’s bad and here’s by how much’ but I’d imagine there’s a premium for something that potentially involves ousting a councillor and criminal charges.

Lost in all this is that Ray Jones should also be on the hook for money. The cost of the investigation could just come out of the golden transition payment he’s been mailing it in to get for the past dozen years or so.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:18 PM   #426
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
I guess I'm just confused Weitz. You:
  • You don't know how much it should cost, despite first saying it was too much.
  • Imply that the "wrong auditors" were chosen (overkill).
  • Given the point above, imply that the investigation is overkill.
  • Also you note "...for what they are trying to investigate here", which implies you think it may not be as serious as pretty much everyone else seems to think it is (it was referred to the RCMP)

But "you're not sure" and get defensive when people challenge your thoughts (e.g. "no one said that").

It just comes across...not in the way I think you think it does. I didn't mean any offense to you, but that was my partisan comment - it seems like a lot of protesting about this issue, just....because?
A $64,000 investigation that turns up $5400 in wrongful charges is a poor use of public funds. If anything it should convince the city to have a system in place that can check this stuff out for cheaper. Maybe an independent person who can approve all expenses? I don’t know. Even nenshi says checking previous years would be too expensive.

Is there even partisanship in city politics? I don’t even know who my councillor is haha. Moved since the last election.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:32 PM   #427
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Is there even partisanship in city politics? I don’t even know who my councillor is haha. Moved since the last election.
Theres the (housing) developer group and the “urbanists”

The Manning Centre is determined to ensure partisanship makes its way into municipal politics as well. Farkas is their first overt candidate.

But for the most part, despite all the talk about the divide, council has been relatively non-partisan over the past 5 years. A few councillors would sway that way, but more balanced than commentary would suggest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2020, 11:39 PM   #428
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post

The Manning Centre is determined to ensure partisanship makes its way into municipal politics as well. Farkas is their first overt candidate.

But for the most part, despite all the talk about the divide, council has been relatively non-partisan over the past 5 years. A few councillors would sway that way, but more balanced than commentary would suggest.
Even Farrell my old councillor seemed to jump around on votes. Which for the little time I paid attention surprised me.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #429
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Even Farrell my old councillor seemed to jump around on votes. Which for the little time I paid attention surprised me.
If more people would actually watch the live council streams instead of getting their local news from Calgary Sun commentary, they'd see that Druh Farrell is perhaps the most thoughtful member of council. Yes, she has a very clear vision for the future of Calgary which is definitely not in alignment with the Yop-gobblers, but she's not the partisan communist Rick Bell makes her out to be. She even voted the same as Farkas, ostensibly her polar opposite on council, on several major proposals.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #430
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Let's not kid ourselves - the "urbanists" have their own developer crowd supporting them as much as Genesis is to the suburbanites. Truman Homes, Eagle Crest, RNDSQR are just as much contributors to the Carras and Farrell campaigns....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #431
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Let's not kid ourselves - the "urbanists" have their own developer crowd supporting them as much as Genesis is to the suburbanites. Truman Homes, Eagle Crest, RNDSQR are just as much contributors to the Carras and Farrell campaigns....

There's a reason I added the 'housing' part of developers.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:20 AM   #432
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bell reporting this AM that Farkas is gunning for the mayoral seat next election.

And I thought Bill "Empty Suit" Smith was bad, yeesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 07:21 AM   #433
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yippee.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:28 AM   #434
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol just read that on Reddit too.

Screw that idea entirely
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:28 AM   #435
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh yay... more grandstanding and false outrage.

I hope there are enough people who can see through his crap and look at his history.... but that might be asking too much.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:35 AM   #436
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
if more people would actually watch the live council streams instead of getting their local news from calgary sun commentary, they'd see that druh farrell is perhaps the most thoughtful member of council. Yes, she has a very clear vision for the future of calgary which is definitely in alignment with the latte sippers, but she's not the partisan communist rick bell makes her out to be. She even voted the same as farkas, ostensibly her polar opposite on council, on several major proposals.
fyp
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #437
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I knew this was happening when Kaycee Madu quoted Farkas for something around municipal taxation on Twitter a couple of months ago. Farkas will be leading a slate of candidates that are well entrenched in the UCP base and want to act as an extension of the provincial government.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #438
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assuming Nenshi runs, hopefully a decent viable 3rd candidate emerges. As an OG Nenshi volunteer back in 2010, I think he's had a long enough run and we could use a number of new faces on council (DCU, looking at you) across the board. I'd prefer to not have to vote for Farkas if its a 2-man race....
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #439
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I knew this was happening when Kaycee Madu quoted Farkas for something around municipal taxation on Twitter a couple of months ago. Farkas will be leading a slate of candidates that are well entrenched in the UCP base and want to act as an extension of the provincial government.

Ever looked at his FB page? It has literally just neem “Jeromy, please run for mayor!” since he was elected to council.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:02 AM   #440
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope its not between Nenshi and Farkas next fall.

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat