Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics
Yes 286 46.28%
No 261 42.23%
Determine by plebiscite 71 11.49%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #2121
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPK80 View Post
Technically there are still two other groups in the process... We could debate how legitimate they are, but as long as they are still officially in the process I don't see the IOC changing any dates.
The funny thing is pushing it back actually helps the Yes side so you'd think I'd be against pushing it back. But we were promised a lot more time to review this rather than what we're getting. Process going as poorly as it has no doubt has hurt the Yes side.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #2122
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone know what Canmore and Whistler are thinking? I haven’t really found anything online. Just speaking with friends. My Whistler friends say, if Calgary pays, who cares. If Whistler/BC pays then hell no. My Canmore friends are all a no. They don’t want it.

I understand they really don’t have input into this. My Canmore friends feel they should also get vote in the plebiscite especially if their tax dollars are to be affected. Nobody seems to have a clear understanding on this. By that I mean just hard facts. Not assumptions and “reading between the lines” rhetoric.

Last edited by bossy22; 11-03-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #2123
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Which is the deadline to bid....against themselves. If the IOC actually wants us to host, we should be able to dictate a bit more on terms. We're not talking all the time in the world here. There are no other bids they are going up against, and I'm not saying push this thing back forever, just a little bit so the full thing can be fleshed out. If the IOC can't accommodate that, then seriously #### them.
Well #### them then and their regularly scheduled submission deadline that every other submission before has followed.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #2124
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPK80 View Post
- Listing to Mary on QR77 yesterday when asked about the Arena it sounds like the Federal Government and Provincial didn't want to help fund it... So it was left out of the bid. But she hopes that getting the Olympics inspires the City and the Flames to get a deal done.

- Then listening to John on Sportsnet 960 yesterday... It really Seems like the Vancouver Olympics were done the same way as what Calgary is looking to do... All the sexy infrastructure wasn't actually part of the Vancouver Bid... But once they were awarded the Provisional and local governments decided either to move up projects or create new ones (The Canada Line, Sea to Sky highway and the Convention Centre).
So if the sexy infrastructure stuff is kept out until later, how will we know anything about the cost and tax implications? That is nuts. Either this is really a bare bones bid and that seems to be what the Yes side is selling, or they need to roll the whole thing out with some reasonable cost estimates. This seems very amateurish and unorganized.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:49 AM   #2125
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Does anyone know what Canmore and Whistler are thinking? I haven’t really found anything online. Just speaking with friends. My Whistler friends say, if Calgary pays, who cares. If Whistler/BC pays then hell no. My Canmore friends are all a no. They don’t want it.

I understand they really don’t have input into this. My Canmore friends feel they should also get vote in the plebiscite especially if their tax dollars are to be affected. Nobody seems to have a clear understanding on this. By that I mean just hard facts. Not assumptions and “reading between the lines” rhetoric.
Canmore town council is voting on Nov 6 in regards to their participation.
I've heard that it is almost a guaranteed Yes and that most are on board.

If it is a No then the bid will most likely be abandoned.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #2126
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Does anyone know what Canmore and Whistler are thinking? I haven’t really found anything online. Just speaking with friends. My Whistler friends say, if Calgary pays, who cares. If Whistler/BC pays then hell no.

I think that's about accurate. The Whistler Sports Legacy guy pretty much summed it up last month...

Quote:
A new WSL apartment building currently pending approval could fill any gaps."We were going to build that anyways so it's not going to be a legacy of the Calgary Games, but they certainly could help fund that with some capital," Soane explained.

The mayor also echoes what most people are saying...

Quote:
"I'm distinctly aware of the clock ticking," said Wilhelm-Morden. "There's not a lot of time for Calgary to put this bid together, so we need to get more information and do some community consultation in fairly short order."

One thing I can assure you of is that Whistler/BC will not be adding a dime to this and will be spending as much free money as possible.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #2127
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d also love to see the plebiscite pushed back if it were possible (sounds like it isn’t). Gives the yes side more time to present the numbers in an accurate well-communicated way so that you can sway people with heart AND head (assuming of course the real numbers reveal a positive story...if they don’t then we can all happily vote no). All the current campaign has time for is playing to the heart. It’s so frustrating.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 11-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #2128
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I think that's about accurate. The Whistler Sports Legacy guy pretty much summed it up last month...

The mayor also echoes what most people are saying...

One thing I can assure you of is that Whistler/BC will not be adding a dime to this and will be spending as much free money as possible.
I think the Federal government has allotted 30 million should there be events in Whistler that Calgary/Provincial didn’t have to match funds.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #2129
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Calgary changed forever, for the positive, after those Olympics. Calgary wouldn't be Winnipeg if not for those games but it probably would be Edmontonish.
OK can we all get along for a sec and recognize that this is near Shakespeare level prose?
Old 11-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #2130
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Canmore town council is voting on Nov 6 in regards to their participation.
I've heard that it is almost a guaranteed Yes and that most are on board.

If it is a No then the bid will most likely be abandoned.

Yeah, this is what I thought. While the residents may not want it, the town council does because of the promise of low income housing. At least that was how I understood it.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #2131
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
OK can we all get along for a sec and recognize that this is near Shakespeare level prose?

Thanks?

I'm certainly interested to hear why you disagree.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #2132
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Thanks?

I'm certainly interested to hear why you disagree.
I don’t. I love it!

...isn’t being compared to Shakespeare a compliment?
Old 11-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #2133
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
So true. Dollars and cents are important, but they are not everything. Sometimes it's nice to buy nice things if affordable.

Sometimes i feel like this point is missed here. We are not debating whether the olympics will turn a profit or not. We are debating whether what we get out of them is worth the cost.
For a few bucks a month that this will cost me i am all for it.
What screams affordable to you about a Billion dollar and certain to grow City contribution for a two week event that leaves us with no useful infrastructure beyond a Field House?

You guys can wax poetic about life being bigger than money but that's not enough to justify a ####ty bid with dubious benefits.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #2134
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
I don’t. I love it!

...isn’t being compared to Shakespeare a compliment?
Gotcha. I think I may have gotten a little caught up in some of the snarkiness of this thread. My apologies.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #2135
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right so Bidco is saying that the Federal government is going to cover security cost overruns. But the Federal government is saying it's not going to cover cost overruns.

What am I missing?
Old 11-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #2136
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Right so Bidco is saying that the Federal government is going to cover security cost overruns. But the Federal government is saying it's not going to cover cost overruns.

What am I missing?
That even this early in the process there's been a decent mix of incompetence and glaring/extremely concerning miscommunication between the BidCo and varying levels of Government.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #2137
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
What screams affordable to you about a Billion dollar and certain to grow City contribution for a two week event that leaves us with no useful infrastructure beyond a Field House?

You guys can wax poetic about life being bigger than money but that's not enough to justify a ####ty bid with dubious benefits.
+ upgraded conference and convemtion center space
+ new day lodges for rec use
+ upgraded training and fitness facilities
+ a massive upgrade of McMahon Stadium with a new plaza, concourses and ticketing areas
+ new ice plants
+ updated trails and recreation spaces
+ enhanced safety and accessibilty improvements for those in wheelchairs or have mobility issues.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #2138
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
That even this early in the process there's been a decent mix of incompetence and glaring/extremely concerning miscommunication between the BidCo and varying levels of Government.
Still no clarification on the discrepancy (lie?)

Jesus H Christ.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...rruns_federal/

JeromyYYC Palliser | Ward 11 Councillor

This is astonishing. At City Council, Calgary2026 Bidco said an agreement with Federal government on overruns was close. Who are we to believe? This is a crisis of credibility. It just keeps getting worse.

tax-me-now-and-later

Jeromy, please ask your fellow Councilors, the Mayor and the City CFO what their forecasts and accounting predictions suggest for the increases to property taxes if Calgary wins the games and has to pay (including overruns), $1B and $2B into the total costs for the games.

We don't have those projections, despite repeated requests.
Another reason to vote no.

Augustus_Trollus_III

I’m curious about the insurance policy. Who in their right mind would sell a policy where they are betting the olympics won’t go over budget?

From the Council meeting, we are sort of hoping that the product exists.

yycmwd

I watched the entire meeting, and I heard Bidco make that claim. When asked if the contract was signed that would guarantee it, they back peddled and said "No, but they've committed to signing".
Why was my city council allowed to vote on something without actual facts? And all this misrepresentation? This shouldn't even be going to a plebiscite at this point.

We have failed Calgarians by bringing this to a vote without performing due diligence. If we were the board of a publicly traded company, we would be immediately sacked.

Last edited by chemgear; 11-03-2018 at 03:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #2139
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, it's not NO for no sake. At least give me some GD confidence about your numbers and plan. Not lies and confusion with pressure timeline tactics like Direct Energy door-to-door salesmen.

It's ridiculous City Council expects citizens to vote on something when they're still confused, getting changing information or at worst, being outright lied to.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1058774414957793280

https://twitter.com/user/status/1058739904677441536

Last edited by chemgear; 11-03-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #2140
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the Boston Olympic bid, they looked into the insurance and ended up cancelling their bid.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...BEP/story.html

“In the insurance world, eliminating all risk is the equivalent of cold fusion or the perpetual motion machine,” said Tom Baker, a professor of insurance law at the University of Pennsylvania.

Patricia A. McCoy, a Boston College law professor, was more skeptical. While Boston 2024 can cobble together many plans to cover a variety of hazards, she said, insurers will not simply promise to protect taxpayers from any financial risk.

“Insurers do not cover risks that are certain to materialize, and almost every Olympics in the recent past has had major cost overruns,” McCoy said. “Any suggestion that private insurance will pick that up is smoke and mirrors.”

Said one senior executive at a national insurance firm: “There’s no wraparound, no Band-Aid that says, ‘OK. You blow the budget by $1 billion and the insurance steps in and funds that.’ It doesn’t exist.”

The bid committee, however, acknowledges it cannot obtain an insurance policy that would cover voluntary changes in the scope of a project, such as last-minute enhancements to make a bigger velodrome.

The committee also cannot insure against overly rosy budget projections — for example, if the bids for the velodrome come in higher than the $64 million budgeted for that venue. Boston 2024 officials said they have addressed that danger by using realistic estimates in their budget.

Vancouver, host of the 2010 Winter Games, famously had to step in with taxpayer money to finish the athletes village, after the project lost financing in the global recession.
Closed Thread