Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #3701
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
That'd be a gamble, but I think it could pay off quite handsomely. I think Detroit would be doing whatever they can to open up space though.

Would burn the boats as well, hopefully the Flames can bounce back next year. Barring a lottery win, that would be astounding value to get the player. the contract is a little pricey, but teams should be reserving 6-7 million for their goaltenders anyways, imo.
I don't think that's a gamble quite up Treliving's alley. If anything, we'll use the threat of the offer-sheet again like we did for Dougie, but not extend the offer-sheet itself directly. If he's confident that he can get Mrazek under contract once his rights are ours, then you simply trade for his rights with a return marginally better than what the offer-sheet compensation would be.

Then you're free to wheel and deal, which with Treliving will probably be a bargain AAV again anyway.

Go Dallas! Have to think that their late 1st + 2nd this year - especially with the draft looming, would be much, much more attractive to the Red Wings than our 1st + 3rd next year.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:00 PM   #3702
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino View Post
32 year deal? This isn't Rick DiPietro.
This is much better the buyout could have the Flames paying him till the end of time...it was supposed to be 2. Ha
Old 05-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #3703
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
No one is offer sheeting a goaltender. Get serious people. Burke hates offer sheets and would not approve of putting one out to an unproven goaltender. They would rather just make a hockey trade and move on.
Burke may not like them...but he essentially pulled off the move in Toronto to get Phil Kessel. He basically made a trade using the offer sheet grid as a basis for compensation value. Plus this would be Brad Treliving's call.

If making a `hockey' trade for a goaltender like Pickard results in the Flames having to trade 2-2nd round picks or something like that. But a 2 year offer sheet in the second round pick selection price range would make Colorado not match. Why not at least explore it? Lehner, Talbot, and Jones all went for more than that last year. Next year Talbot will earn more than the offer sheet compensation he was traded for, and Jones offer sheet price would have been a 2nd round pick based on his current salary.

My original statement is...if it makes sense to eat 2.6 million dollars of Wideman's contract to get someone to give you a 2nd round pick for him. Why doesn't it make sense to pay a guy and extra million to save trading one to acquire him? If he works out you're going to be paying him more than that on his next contract. If he doesn't...you can walk away. Steve Yzerman paid a decent price to acquire Anders Lindback before he took a swing at Ben Bishop.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:11 PM   #3704
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post

Mocked up a roster next season with an offer sheet to Mrazek. Looks actually pretty good, though you'd have to rely on one of the cheap ELC guys to fill the top line RW role, or else play the FA there and stick Bennett with some rookies.

The big problem will be what do you do at the end of the year when Bennett wants 5+, Ferland wants 2, and you need to find 2 more quality bottom pairing D-men on the cheap.
Dont worry - Engelland (2.9) Raymond (3.alreadwaytoomuchimeanover3million...comeon) Stajan (3.125) Bollig (1.25) are all off the books and we have guys like Kylington, Andersson, Kulak, Culkin, Wotherspoon, Jokipakka, Nakladal all potentially in the fold this year and next which gives us lots of affordable options going forward with the 3 core D locked up.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #3705
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Dont worry - Engelland (2.9) Raymond (3.alreadwaytoomuchimeanover3million...comeon) Stajan (3.125) Bollig (1.25) are all off the books and we have guys like Kylington, Andersson, Kulak, Culkin, Wotherspoon, Jokipakka, Nakladal all potentially in the fold this year and next which gives us lots of affordable options going forward with the 3 core D locked up.
I like the toughness that Engelland brings so depending on what changes happen between now and than, I'd re-sign Engelland. Amazing as it is at his age, I also think Engelland has been improving.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #3706
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mrazek would be awesome, surprised his name hasn't come up more. Not very likely but he fits our need perfectly.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #3707
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
If Devan Dubnyk was a starter he'd still be in Edmonton!

See what I did there? It's hard to judge goalies stuck behind terrible teams. Yes, Dubnyk connected with a new goalie coach and had a rebirth of sorts but the fact is he was a Vezina nominated NHL goaltender just one season removed from playing for the Oilers. He clearly had that potential all along and the Oilers were unable to help him discover that.

All that said... I'd rather see someone else than Reimer but I won't be rattled if they do sign him because he will likely have the lowest acquisition cost.
I see what you did there, Lol. I guess I just don't like him. Bahahaha
Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #3708
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't be opposed to seeing Engelland come back on a 1 year. They would probably pull a Byron on him (let him get to UFA then sign him for cheaper). Sometimes he'd do a "really, Deryk?" play but for the most part he was pretty steady on that backend.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #3709
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Wouldn't be opposed to seeing Engelland come back on a 1 year. They would probably pull a Byron on him (let him get to UFA then sign him for cheaper). Sometimes he'd do a "really, Deryk?" play but for the most part he was pretty steady on that backend.
He's still under contract for another year.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #3710
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Am I the only person that thinks the getting Bernier out of TO would be a great idea. I still think a good system in front of him and he could be a steal! I was thinking along the lines of how Dubnyk blossomed after EDM.
The Following User Says Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 10:14 PM   #3711
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
While he might still be a decent player at that age, I think it's probably better to leave some room for our young guys. By the end of next year, I'm sure we'll have lots of guys that are pushing for spots.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #3712
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have to laugh at the apocalyptic response in Dallas after last night's blowout.
They are our competition on the goalie front for sure - sounds like they will be cleaning house in that department.
And funny to hear some of the comments on Russell and how they would love to re-sign him but how is estimated worth is way over-hyped. Welcome to why we traded him.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:16 AM   #3713
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I want to see Nill unload not just one, but two over paid 32 year old goalies in this goaltending market.

Good luck with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #3714
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not sure what Dallas can do on the goalie front. They are both signed for 2 more years. Nearing negative value to try and dump one, let alone both of them. Our goalies sucked, but at least we have a clean slate going into next season.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #3715
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Not sure what Dallas can do on the goalie front. They are both signed for 2 more years. Nearing negative value to try and dump one, let alone both of them. Our goalies sucked, but at least we have a clean slate going into next season.
Maybe you see Wideman traded for one of them??
Old 05-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #3716
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
Matt Stajan for Antti Niemi?
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Old 05-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #3717
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
If one of them only had a year left on their deal like Wideman I suppose it could have been a possibility but I don't see the Flames having any interest in either of these guys with two years remaining on their deal as there's a lot of similarities between both of them and Hiller in that they are getting less consistent as they age and could fall off a cliff like any time.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #3718
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Matt Stajan for Antti Niemi?
I wouldn't mind that.

Especially if we ended up going for a younger option in trade - a veteran who is okay with shared duties would be a smart move.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #3719
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I wouldn't mind that.

Especially if we ended up going for a younger option in trade - a veteran who is okay with shared duties would be a smart move.
That would mean the end for Ortio in Calgary as you can't count on Niemi to be your starter so he would be a high priced backup.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #3720
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That would mean the end for Ortio in Calgary as you can't count on Niemi to be your starter so he would be a high priced backup.
Personally I have no issue with it being the end of Ortio in Calgary.

If we went the route of a younger goalie like a Vasilevski, Murray, Pickard, etc then I would prefer to have a veteran on a 1 or 2 year contract to help bridge the gap.

Going into a season with one of those young goalies, and Ortio with no veteran support could end up being a mistake.

Especially since Ortio has had some problems starting seasons strong in the past.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread