Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #3441
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

News Update

Maple Leafs sign KHL’s top defenceman Nikita Zaitsev

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle29822336/
Old 05-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #3442
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
Another thing is please try to keep all of your responses in one post please. There's a multi quote button for that purpose.

Gotcha you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Par For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #3443
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

News Update

Maple Leafs sign KHL’s top defenceman Nikita Zaitsev

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle29822336/

The Leafs are stacking up on young talent, if they go and get Stamkos, then they are set up nicely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Par For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #3444
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Because Wideman to them might not be a bad contract. They're in desperate need of right handed dmen.

Heck, to be honest, I don't even think Wideman staying with Calgary is that bad a contract, it's not like he's Mason Raymond. Guy has one year left, and I predict he's going to have a bounce back year this year, and come trade deadline, we either keep him for the playoff push, of we deal him as a rental for a 3rd rounder.
Wideman isn't the worlds worst contract, that's for sure. In fact I'd say I'm less down on Wideman than the majority on here by a long shot. But it doesn't matter which NHL team you are talking about, Wideman currently earns more than he's worth. He's also well past his prime, not exactly the long term defensive solution the Oilers need.

People don't trade down from a 4th overall pick just for a chance to add Wideman to the roster, regardless of organizational need and certainly not in a draft with this strong a top 5.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #3445
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Put it this way,

If you knew you had Yakapov, Dubios, Shinkaruk, Agostino, and Magiapane coming into camp this year but it cost you

Kulak, Seiloff, Wideman and even a 2nd or maybe Dallas's conditional 2 that became a late late 1st, do you pull the trigger?

I sure the hell do!
But why would the oilers want Wideman, a b prospect and a second for Yakupov and Dubois? I fail to see the value from the other side
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #3446
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the issue with that end comparison is it excludes what the Oilers take with the 6th overall pick - so it's actually

Yakupov & Dubois in Flames camp

for something like

Kulak, Sieloff, Wideman, 2nd rounder, & Chychrun (for example).

If you are the Oilers and you have Chyuchun valued above Dubois anyways then maybe it makes sense since really you are just giving up Yakupov for Kulak, Sieloff, Wideman, & a 2nd Rounder.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #3447
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

And maybe the oilers think they can get Wideman from last year instead of this past year. If they had someone to put up that many points from the back end, they might even be able to get out of the bottom 3 in the league!

For all we know, the oilers may have no interest in Tkachuck or Dubois at all. If they really wanted, they could take that deal then flip the #6 for even more and go from there. What if they dealt 4 to the Flames for 6+ then dealt 6 to a team like the ducks for Vatanen or something.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #3448
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What if the Wings decide Howard is going to be tough to trade, and put RFA Petr Mrazek out there instead to see what kind of offers they get?

Offer up 6th overall for him? Would be similar to the Cory Schneider trade.

I know it's not sexy to trade high draft picks, but adding a 24 year old Mrazek would solve the Flames goaltending issues for the foreseeable future IMO.

EDIT: Or what about #6 + #27-30 (Stars) for Mrazek + #16?

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 05-02-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #3449
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Wideman isn't the worlds worst contract, that's for sure. In fact I'd say I'm less down on Wideman than the majority on here by a long shot. But it doesn't matter which NHL team you are talking about, Wideman currently earns more than he's worth. He's also well past his prime, not exactly the long term defensive solution the Oilers need.

People don't trade down from a 4th overall pick just for a chance to add Wideman to the roster, regardless of organizational need and certainly not in a draft with this strong a top 5.
If that's the case, then I'm ok with standing pat. Really, I don't see a big drop off between 4 to 6, at least not enough for me to give up more for it anyways. I'll take my chances at 6.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #3450
frodo_t_baggins
Backup Goalie

Exp:

No matter how incompetent the oilers are, no GM is going to drop 2 spots at the top of the draft for a player that could probably be had for a 5th.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:32 PM   #3451
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Gotcha you.
You literally just did a double post right after this one...
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Oilers won't finish 14th in the West forever.

Eventually a couple of expansion teams will be added which will nestle the Oilers into 16th.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Point Blank For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #3452
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
What if the Wings decide Howard is going to be tough to trade, and put RFA Petr Mrazek out there instead to see what kind of offers they get?

Offer up 6th overall for him? Would be similar to the Cory Schneider trade.

I know it's not sexy to trade high draft picks, but adding a 24 year old Mrazek would solve the Flames goaltending issues for the foreseeable future IMO.

EDIT: Or what about #6 + #27-30 (Stars) for Mrazek + #16?
If we didn't have Gillies in the pipeline I am more apt to trade a high pick for a goalie of the future. We have a stud prospect that is 22 years old so I wouldn't trade a top 10 pick for a goalie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #3453
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
You literally just did a double post right after this one...
Leave the poor kid alone. He'll figure it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to EverfresH15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #3454
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think they Oilers would be moronic to take another forward. If they have half a brain they'll take Chychrun/Juolevi and strengthen their team where it needs it.

But you just know they'll go and take Nylander and proceed to shoehorn him into a top line role next fall. Lols.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-02-2016 at 04:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #3455
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I think they Oilers would be moronice to take another forward. If they have half a brain they'll take Chychrun/Juolevi and strengthen their team where it needs it.

But you just know they'll go and take Nylander and proceed to shoehorn him into a top line role next fall. Lols.
Or the Oilers try to trade the pick for dman...

Oilers have lots of youth, they need a dman who can play top 4.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #3456
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I think they Oilers would be moronice to take another forward. If they have half a brain they'll take Chychrun/Juolevi and strengthen their team where it needs it.

Drafting a Dman may not help them if he isn't NHL ready. They need D men now.

I think they trade for D men, then draft a forward or trade down and draft a D man.

I would be surprised if they draft a D man at 4.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #3457
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oilers should trade for a Dman, no question. Eberle, RNH, whatever it takes..

But they should also use their draft pick for another Dman.

Because they are not only thin at D on the roster, they also have little in the pipeline.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:05 PM   #3458
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The Oilers should trade for a Dman, no question. Eberle, RNH, whatever it takes..

Because they are not only thin at D on the roster, they also have little in the pipeline.
Agreed. I think the opportunity to trade down is there though. Shouldn't just use #4 on it.

Sorry I should have said they still need D prospects but might take a forward if you trade out Eberle/RNH/Whoever.

Last edited by Weitz; 05-02-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #3459
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think chychrun looks NHL ready or at least Edmonton oiler ready. I think he'd be a lock to make their team and could probably be top 4 so if they draft him and trade one of the wunder kids for another D they'd be a lot better next year. I don't think they should trade down because I could see the coyotes taking chychrun at 7 if he's there.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #3460
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I would agree... I'm not sure Edmonton would. I'm not sure Nurse and Reinhart are anything more then bottom pairing guys long-term but I think the Oilers think they are (or at least that Nurse is).
Closed Thread