Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't like pork ribs, but I love gigantic, meaty beef ribs. Can any of the recipes be used for beef ribs? How does it effect cooking time? Anyone have beef rib specific recipes?
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #22
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wrap each rack in tinfoil. Ensure they are completely sealed.

Bake at 250 for 3-4 hours (3 hours will be nicely tender, 4 will be fall off the bone tender)

Remove from oven and place racks on BBQ over medium heat. Let the outside of ribs/rub char slightly.

Baste with Bbq sauce, flipping often. Let the sauce char slightly, but do not burn! Flip them repeatedly and baste as much as you wish, I would recommend three coats per side.

Mash your mouth with the delicious, tangy, moist, tender meat.
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxter Renegade For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #23
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tenderness in slow cooking is achieved by maintaining the sweet zone of 175-225 F for many hours. BBQ/smoker/oven/whatever, the results will be good if you don't exceed 225 F for any length of time.

Fats, and connective tissues will all break down while tenderizing the flesh.

Meat will start to pull back from the bones as they start to reach perfection.

Good to spray with something tasty to maintain moisture. (Apple juice and Jack is my preference) Don't over do it, we aren't boiling or poaching here.

If you like them with BBQ sauce, don't sauce them until the end, and let the low heat caramelize the sauce. Add multiple coats for really sticky ribs. (I prefer smoked ribs with no sauce)

All of the above is useless if you fail to remove the membrane on the ribs. A spoon is a good tool for working it loose without destroying your beautiful meat.

BOILERS SHALL BE BANISHED!

Last edited by Flacker; 10-24-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: membrane is bad
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #24
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Yeah, fall off the bone is actually an indicator that the meat is over cooked. You should have some bite to the ribs.

And most of these methods can be used with beef ribs too. Look to braise them for sure.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #25
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Check out this recipe. It has completly ruined me from eating ribs in restaurants (except for Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City, their ribs are perfect everytime).

According to the guy who hosts the site "If you boil ribs, the terrorists win!".

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/p...ribs_ever.html
Thanks for this link. I just got a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker and this site has a ton of info. It helped me figure out what I did wrong my first time using it.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #26
trew
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Two things to add:

- If you smoke your ribs, they only need a couple hours of smoke exposure. (Once the meat gets above 165 deg F it won't take any more beneficial flavor from the smoke). Best to wrap them in foil to seal in liquid and cut down smoke exposure after this point.

- Membrane. Easiest way to remove is with a small sharp knife and a paper towel. Use the knife to cut up a flap of membrane, and then grab it with the towel and slowly pull it off.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #27
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh hell, my mother boiled the #### out of everything - I grew up hating so many foods because of it. Then I tried doing stuff on my own or tried things at other people's homes when invited for dinner and found that, you know, actually COOKING food made a huge difference. I can think of one thing I've ever boiled, for just a couple of minutes, and only because the recipe called for it - I was highly skeptical at first, but it turned out so....

Thank you all. I really appreciate the tips.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #28
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trew View Post
Two things to add:

- If you smoke your ribs, they only need a couple hours of smoke exposure. (Once the meat gets above 165 deg F it won't take any more beneficial flavor from the smoke). Best to wrap them in foil to seal in liquid and cut down smoke exposure after this point.

- Membrane. Easiest way to remove is with a small sharp knife and a paper towel. Use the knife to cut up a flap of membrane, and then grab it with the towel and slowly pull it off.
Good call on membrane. I like using a butterknife to separate the membrane from the meat slightly, then grab it with a paper towel. Comes off in one piece....most of the time.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #29
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am so hungry now.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #30
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Thanks for this link. I just got a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker and this site has a ton of info. It helped me figure out what I did wrong my first time using it.

It is the number one BBQ site for a reason. I really enjoy his recipes and his analytical approach.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #31
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
Good call on membrane. I like using a butterknife to separate the membrane from the meat slightly, then grab it with a paper towel. Comes off in one piece....most of the time.
I have a pair of needle nose pliers that are only used for rib membrane removal, one pull and it's done.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #32
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I use this site Amazing Ribs and follow this guy's process, even made his barbeque sauce, which was better than any store bought I've found.

I used to boil ribs before but not now...now that I've seen the light.

Last edited by Radio; 10-24-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: I see Burn Baby Burn posted the same link, great site
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #33
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I don't like pork ribs, but I love gigantic, meaty beef ribs. Can any of the recipes be used for beef ribs? How does it effect cooking time? Anyone have beef rib specific recipes?
Beef ribs are best braised in my opinion.

Start by seasoning the ribs and searing them in a sauce pan, the saute onions carrots, celery, garlic, deglaze the pan with a nice red wine mixed with half beef stock. Put the meat back in the stock covering about half the meat with liquid braise for 3 hrs or so at just barely a simmer. Once the meat is done strain the particulate out of the liquid and cook down the braise liquid into a glaze for the meat. The cologen from the bones shoud allow you to have a fairly thick glaze without turning it into a gravy by adding flour. I like to cook it down until I have about a 1/2 cup of glaze.

Serve on top of a bed of mashed potatoes with a vegatable as a side.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #34
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Don't keep us in suspense, Minnie!

How did the roast turn out?
Old 10-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #35
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am so cooking up a slab this weekend.....
Old 10-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #36
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasn't a roast - it was ribs, lol. And they turned out amazing! Everyone loved them. I will be trying those again but next time I'm going to get some really really high quality ones. These weren't crap but they were just from the grocery store (side ribs) - I want actual St Louis Cut and I want to see if the SLC is better.

I can see how getting into the whole smoking meat thing is addicting. A little late in the season to get super interested but I definitely want to try my hand at it in the future.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #37
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I am so cooking up a slab this weekend.....
That's awesome, I hope it goes over well and you get lucky later that night.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #38
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
That's awesome, I hope it goes over well and you get lucky later that night.
Holy hell, can't stop laughing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #39
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
It wasn't a roast - it was ribs, lol. And they turned out amazing! Everyone loved them. I will be trying those again but next time I'm going to get some really really high quality ones. These weren't crap but they were just from the grocery store (side ribs) - I want actual St Louis Cut and I want to see if the SLC is better.

I can see how getting into the whole smoking meat thing is addicting. A little late in the season to get super interested but I definitely want to try my hand at it in the future.
good to hear. it is never too late in the season. I smoke my turkey at Xmas, do pulled pork and ribs in Jan and Feb. It is never too cold to smoke
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #40
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find if you're cooking the ribs at 225, you'll need approximately 4 hours for pork back ribs, 5 hours for side ribs, and 6 hours for beef ribs. Obviously these are only benchmarks and many factors can change this.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
_Q_

Tags
bbq , oven , ribs , slow cook