Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Cooking a Roast

I'm supposed to cook a roast for a dinner tomorrow but I've never done it before and I don't really know what I'm doing or what I'm looking for. I have the option of using either the oven or a slow cooker. Can anyone recommend a type of roast (beef, pork, size, cut, etc)? There will be six of us and I'd like to make a gravy too.

So what are your roast recipes?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

This one is easy peasy and quite tasty....just follow the directions and you cant miss.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/roast_beef/
Old 10-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Prime rib, 3 bones. Let it sit outside for about 2 hours so the meat comes to room temperature. Rub it with grainy mustard, thyme, salt and pepper. Place it in a roasting pan, bone side down. Heat your oven to 500 degrees and put the roast in there for 15 minutes to sear the meat. Reduce heat to 325 and cook the rest of the way. Get a meat thermometer and take meat out 5 degrees before your desired doneness. It'll cook the rest of the way when you let it rest for 20 minutes. It should take less than 3 hours to cook to medium rare. Don't make a gravy, make an au jus. Take the roasting pan, remove most of the grease and deglaze with beef stock and red wine over medium heat on the stove top. Reduce to about half the liquid.

Enjoy
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How hot and wet do you like it?
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've made all three of these recipes and all three work very well.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^ way to invite the troll in...

Anyway, for something different and withal presentation that will impress anyone consider a pork crown roast. They're pretty easy to make and are super flavourful, although you will be spending more than a normal pork roast, it should be a similar price to something like a prime rib, or even a little less. You can keep it simple by just cooking with some salt and pepper and garlic, or you can do something fancier like a crust made with egg, bread crumbs, sweet mustard (or a whole grain brown mustard depending on what flavour you prefer) and minced or powdered garlic.

Here's a similar idea with a different roast that gives you an idea of how to do the crust part. If you do try a crown roast remember to wrap the ends of the bones that poke up to make the Crown with tin foil so they don't burn.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/h...ted-pork-roast
Old 10-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been using Michael Smith's method. Super easy and pretty good. 500 degrees for 30 min (for 2 bones), adjust for size, then turn off the oven and leave it in there for 2 hours. Don't open the oven door.

http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2012/11/1...h-hollandaise/

I adjusted it a little by adding garlic slivers and rosemary into the meat.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
I've been using Michael Smith's method. Super easy and pretty good. 500 degrees for 30 min (for 2 bones), adjust for size, then turn off the oven and leave it in there for 2 hours. Don't open the oven door.

That is also a great, great method.

Michael smith has never steered me wrong.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have had really good success with this pot roast - basically just the can of mushroom soup and the onion soup mix is all you need besides the pot roast itself. You can sear the pot roast first, or just put everything together into the crock pot and leave it overnight. The longer the better, but pretty much 8 or 9 hours is pretty good. The mushroom soup, onion soup mix, and the juices from the beef make a very delicious gravy as well. Add some veggies after, so they don't get mushy. It's basically this recipe below:

http://www.campbellskitchen.com/reci...ot-roast-27270
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love doing a roast in the crockpot - it's so convenient and easy - just dump it in, for the most part, and walk away. Especially nice for cheaper and/or tougher cuts of meat. I throw mine in frozen, dump in some onion and garlic and a tiny bit of beef broth/stock or even a darker beer/ale (a cup or so?), and turn it on. Nice and tender when it's done.

My favorite cuts are the bottom round, inside or outside round and eye of round. These are slightly tougher cuts of meat, so if you're doing them in the oven and not the crockpot, perhaps marinade and pan sear it a bit before throwing it in the oven. Overnight is best. I like eye of round most because it's marbled just enough, and you aren't paying for a gristly hunk of beef that's more fat than meat.

This is a recipe that is fairly similar to what I do, just to give you an idea. I don't use that salt stuff she mentions. I like a fair amount of Rosemary on my roasts - it's what my family enjoys. If you do a little googling, you can come up with some nice marinades you can make at home instead of the bottled stuff from the store, and some good rubs as well.

I haven't done a roast in a while. I think that's going on the menu for sometime this week.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
jofillips
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

yup, never gone wrong with the high high heat at the start then turn the oven right down till its rare or medium as you like.
I find the dry oven roast to be a lot more of an 'event' to serve when done right...

oh and I never knew I was making a jus all along - just called it gravy!
jofillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first roast anyone ever makes always turns into a disaster. Prepare to have dinner ruined.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

WELL!?

How'd it go?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty damn good. I got a prime rib roast like Q recommended, but I seasoned it differently and cooked it the Michael Smith method (my Mom thought I was crazy to leave it in the oven). I used a tonne of rosemary, garlic, salt and whole grain mustard. The jus was amazing and I was the hero of the night. So thanks everyone. I'm going to try out a couple of the other ideas too.

Minnie: when you use a slow cooker does the roast fall apart when done or is it still firm enough to slice?
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post

This is how we do it now as well.... only you can adapt it for any roast depending on size. 5min per pound at 500 degrees then shut off the heat and leave it in the oven for 2 hours. Perfect medium rare everytime.
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nyah - sometimes it does fall apart, yes. It depends on the way I cook - ie. recipe used. My 'panic roast' method, where it goes in frozen, that one tends to fall apart. But that I don't mind because that's what we're looking for with that, so I can serve it a particular way.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Prime rib in a crock is meat abuse
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to guzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Preheat oven to 500- take the roast out of the fridge an hour earlier. I usually get amazing results from a Costco Top Sirloin roast (with a nice strip of fat tied to it)
Salt and pepper it, sear it on the stovetop with a bit of olive oil.

Cook at 500 for around 1/2 an hour, then another hour and a half or so @ 200 until cooked med rare (I use a thermometer to be certain)

Gravy as you wish (I use packaged 4 peppercorn gravy mixed with roast juice)
Mini yorkies optional but recommended
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cook anyone, who mocks you, to a crisp.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #20
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I love doing a roast in the crockpot - it's so convenient and easy - just dump it in, for the most part, and walk away. Especially nice for cheaper and/or tougher cuts of meat. I throw mine in frozen, dump in some onion and garlic and a tiny bit of beef broth/stock or even a darker beer/ale (a cup or so?), and turn it on. Nice and tender when it's done.

My favorite cuts are the bottom round, inside or outside round and eye of round. These are slightly tougher cuts of meat, so if you're doing them in the oven and not the crockpot, perhaps marinade and pan sear it a bit before throwing it in the oven. Overnight is best. I like eye of round most because it's marbled just enough, and you aren't paying for a gristly hunk of beef that's more fat than meat.

This is a recipe that is fairly similar to what I do, just to give you an idea. I don't use that salt stuff she mentions. I like a fair amount of Rosemary on my roasts - it's what my family enjoys. If you do a little googling, you can come up with some nice marinades you can make at home instead of the bottled stuff from the store, and some good rubs as well.

I haven't done a roast in a while. I think that's going on the menu for sometime this week.
Should I bring red or white wine?